Is this the time to buy stks??
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Nov. 23, 2019, 3:04 p.m.

My wife has some end of yr [no tax paid during the build up phase] portfolio funds that have to be converted to cash, as our gov't wants the tax paid. She has no choice but to pay the tax and take the cash, now and each yr following until the portfolio is exhausted.

We are talking 10,000 this yr and increasing each following yr consistent with gov't rules. We will be at 20,000/yr very soon and then more.

My wife has decided to buy Canadian bank stk and hold long term which I can't argue. She has told me no more helping with mortgage payments from her money. The land is paid for and she has told me, enough is enough,

Gov't rules require us to buy candian stk or pay a higher tax. Any stk purchase would be held long term, unless we had a financial disaster and needed funds quickly.

What do you stk people suggest we do

Buy at end of each yr, regardless and average the purchase price or hold cash and try to buy some other time.

We need to be aware of our lack of expertise in stk picking and timing, plus bank int is 1% while we hold cash vs a bank stk dividend, which my wife dearly loves to receive

Bank stks for today are almost at the high for the yr.

Comments
By hayman - Nov. 24, 2019, 3:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Stocks?!?  I thought we were talking about them live hogs that need buying, right now.  And wheat.  I recall you saying that your Son was trading wheat exclusively quite a while ago.  That 'Big Charlie' over at the Ag Forum, he's saying that with Decembers going off the board that a new, fresh swelling of price could happen.  I know the women folk don't take kindly to commodity futures, the female is naturally risk averse.  Whereas the Tomcats take chances.

Take a gander at the one hour chart of soybean meal and the spot on cycles that beat with uncanny consistency.  Friday's selloff into the low so perfectly timed in harmony and at the same time, fulfilling a double bottom scenario.

By wglassfo - Nov. 24, 2019, 9:56 a.m.
Like Reply

That is some one else over at the other forum

My wife would never be in the commodity futures, and it her money

She says farming is enough risk for her and she don't even drive a tractor

Tried once to position a trailer to pickup old shingles off the old house

Finally gsave up and one off her sons put the trailer in place

They were maybe 6 & 8 yrs at the time. Short legs could hardly reach the clutch

Had such great fun driving the tractor they gladly picked up shingles so they could take turns driving

My wife just threw up her hands and never tried again

My sons tell that story just to push her buttons

She will bring coffee and sandwiches to the field any time, even 12:00 A:M one Xmas eve

But dividends is her baliwick