RR economic indicator
3 responses | 2 likes
Started by bear - Dec. 4, 2019, 10:41 a.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/union-pacific-cuts-volumes-outlook-and-warns-on-revenue-but-stock-bounces-after-5-day-losing-streak-2019-12-04?mod=home-page

volume expected to be down 11% y-o-y for 4th qrt,... wow, that is a big drop.  yet the housing market, and consumer continue to be OK for now.  

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 4, 2019, 11:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Mixed signals.........thanks

By mattk - Dec. 4, 2019, 8:14 p.m.
Like Reply

The U.S. consumer refuses to admit that he/she is tapped out.  When that realization hits home, everything will implode...

By wglassfo - Dec. 4, 2019, 8:57 p.m.
Like Reply

I did not know if it was a result of the USA holiday or not

The truck traffic from cross border was down noticeably last week on the main  hi-way artery from Detroit to Toronto thru S.W. Ontario

The 1st of this week looked a lot less than normal. I did not know if it took time to get back up to speed in volume. Also did the weather affect volume

Your info indicates truck traffic may simply be less.

When I was trucking I could tell if a minor recession was coming. Truck loads were always harder to find about 6 months before it made head lines. The same was true when business was booming. I could not keep up with the demand for truck miles hauling goods from A to B

Yes there were the usual peaks and valleys but over all I could tell what was coming down the pike

That is why it is important to compare month to month on a yrly basis

Jan 2018 vs Jan 2019 etc.