The cost of the Trumps/tansparency
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by pj - Jan. 16, 2020, 6:01 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/opinion/trump-twitter.html

Of course most on here will completely discount it since it's from the Times.

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 16, 2020, 11:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks pj!

I can't read the article because I don't have a subscription but it looks like part of it mentions President Trump not releasing his taxes.

We can all guess about how bad they must be if he is refusing to release them.

I will guess that he paid top dollar to have experts do his taxes legally/by the book and for sure he did not do them himself.  So, likely he didn't break any laws.

Almost for sure there are things in there he wouldn't want the MSM to see because they would bash him relentlessly and use it against him. 

Maybe he made many millions in some years and paid 0 taxes because  his accountants used the tax laws in his favor. This is speculation on my part.

Mitt Romney released his taxes before running for president and used some legal tax sheltering schemes to pay less than he would have paid otherwise and got hammered over it. This is probably the sort of thing that he's hiding.

Regardless, unless he committed tax fraud(which I doubt) I am not too worried that we haven't seen his taxes.......and its not required. 

His excuse that he's being audited is likely made up. What's he going to say?

So, for sure he is not being transparent about his taxes from income before he ran for office. 

By pj - Jan. 17, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
Like Reply

You're correct it did mention his taxes, but the main thrust of the article was the unprecedented costs Trump has run up for trips to Maro Lago and other places. $13.7 mil in one month alone. This, when candidate Trump accused Obama of spending too much time and $ playing golf.  Plus the costs for other family members to go on holidays and for what appears to conduct "family business". 

The numbers are all "GAO estimates" that they say are most likely too low, since the White House has refused multiple requests for additional info to make them more precise.

BTW I don't subscribe to the Times either.

By metmike - Jan. 17, 2020, 9:08 p.m.
Like Reply

That is a lot of money. 

Tracking President Trump's visits to Trump properties

The president regularly visits his personal properties and golf courses in Virginia, Florida, and New Jersey.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/how-much-time-trump-spending-trump-properties-n753366

Sounds like he's not actually golfing but likes to work from his properties.........very, very expensive for tax payers.