March 2020 corn
3 responses | 1 like
Started by tallpine - Jan. 20, 2020, 8:52 a.m.

Comments
By Jim_M - Jan. 20, 2020, 11:24 a.m.
Like Reply

The grain seasonal's turn up for grains in the first 6 month's of the year.  If China buying becomes a thing, it could be better than normal.  

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2020, 12:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Jim!

Corn had an impressive come back on Friday!

I think the USDA is still off on some of their US production numbers and end users in the US, pricing corn that is not as abundant as the USDA thinks will keep prices from tumbling too far. 

By wglassfo - Jan. 22, 2020, 8:03 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't trade corn, nor do I fool around with corn contracts, options etc

I watch local cash bid and sell based on cash price offered

I price my corn for future delivery, usually in the summer months as that is when our labour is available and the carry usually the best "here"

This yr old crop has been priced about 50 cent over usual YOY price, so I get to price any unsold old crop for a 50 cent increase over the usual price structure of yrs past

New crop is struggling but seems to gain about a cent a week

I like to have most of my new crop, [that I feel comfortable selling] sold for future delivery, next yr, by Mar/Apr at the latest. Any time after Jan if the price meets my goal

It seems our 50 cent price increase for old crop is because of a short crop locally and transportation must be 50 cent to bring it in from outside our area of production

Just saying price indicates a shortage of old crop corn "here"

"Here" is Mich and Ontario corn

Not up on what basis or cash crop is doing in other parts but CME must not think "here" is very important in the big picture