Is Scouting Worth Saving?
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Feb. 25, 2020, 6:49 p.m.

Being an adult leader in Troop 250 for 25 years, this opinion caught my attention. I teach merit badges like chess, weather and personal fitness and ran their Fall Festival booth for 20 years. I got involved after signing our sons up and continued because its such a wonderful organization.

I don't know of any organization that benefits boys more than this one.

I've said hundreds of times "If everybody lived by the Scout Oath and Law, the world would be a perfect place". Memorizing it and trying to live by it is the first thing our boys learn.

I'll post it on the next page:

Here is the article below:

I Am an Eagle Scout. Is Scouting Worth Saving? Not Under the Boy Scouts of America | Opinion

https://www.newsweek.com/i-am-eagle-scout-scouting-worth-saving-not-under-boy-scouts-america-opinion-1488653

metmike: This guys biggest beef is with the BSA allowing the President of the United States to address the boy scouts. Imagine the audacity, letting the president talk to these boys.........oh, that's right, it's President TRUMP. If you hate him enough, you are convinced he is out to ruin the souls of every American, including our young people. 

"In July 2017, the Boy Scouts of America allowed President Donald Trump to address nearly 40,000 young scouts at a jamboree. Many of the national organization's religious and conservative partners approved of the Trump performance. But the backlash was immediate from families who weren't looking to involve their children in a political organization and didn't necessarily want them listening to Trump's lies or hateful agenda: "Done with scouts after you felt the need to have my kid listen to a liar stroke his ego," one parent wrote.

With its decision to align the Boy Scouts with Trump, national leadership forgot another powerful Baden-Powell quote. "A fisherman does not bait his hook with food he likes. He uses food the fish likes," the founder said. "So, with boys."

metmike: But later on, he completely contradicts himself: "one of the reasons why the Mormon Church finally cut ties with the Boy Scouts of America was its decision to admit girls), the gay community and questioning authority"

So he first condemns leadership, that he says were conservatives exposing  the boys to evil conservative Trump but then, mentions why some churches(not just Mormons) have cut ties with the scouts because this same leadership has become too LIBERAL. BSA allows openly gay adult leaders as well as girls(no discrimination-even though its BOY Scouts).

For those not informed, being gay and attracted sexually to an adult of the same sex as you is NOT being a pedophile and being attracted to a CHILD of the same sex as you. 

Men attracted to females for instance...........are not pedophiles, unless the females are children. 

Comments
By metmike - Feb. 25, 2020, 6:54 p.m.
Like Reply

This is something that all the scouts are supposed to try to live by. At least this is what we teach. 

http://usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/bsoathlaw.asp

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. 

Boy Scout Law

A Scout is:

• Trustworthy, 
  • Loyal, 
  • Helpful, 
  • Friendly, 
  • Courteous, 
  • Kind, 
  • Obedient, 
  • Cheerful, 
  • Thrifty, 
  • Brave, 
  • Clean, 
  • and Reverent.

Boy Scout Motto

Be Prepared! 

Boy Scout Slogan

Do a Good Turn Daily! 

The Outdoor Code

As an American, I will do my best to -

• Be clean in my outdoor manners
  • Be careful with fire
  • Be considerate in the outdoors, and
  • Be conservation minded.

Who would possibly have a problem with their kid being taught this stuff?

By metmike - Feb. 25, 2020, 7:30 p.m.
Like Reply

On the BSA sexual abuse scandal. 

Of course its very sad and some bad decisions were made in trying to manage it in the past.  However, I was always taught, starting from 25 years ago that we were absolutely forbidden be in situations where it was just you and 1 boy.  This was hammered home and clearly, to protect the boys(though they claimed it protected the adult too).

I  broke that rule dozens of times just because we had a couple of bad apples that required some individual attention to address personal issues and without them being embarrassed from another scout there or to keep them from being honest(about abuse at home for instance).

We should realize that an organization like this is going to strongly attract pedophiles  who are sexual predators of boys ............and there will be an order of magnitude greater number of pedophile  incidents because its BOY Scouts. 

It's like a kid being in a candy store...........surrounding themselves with dozens of vulnerable boys who look up to them as a leader. 

So everything about  the program is the best of the best that we would want to teach our young people but it the incidence of pedophiles was very high because the targets for all the good stuff.........BOYS, will ALWAYS BE targets for the pedophiles/predators that sneak in.

This was already being addressed here locally for 25 years but obviously, in a volunteer organization with millions of different leaders, there were many troops that failed to do this properly. 

They have always required back ground checks from the get go but if you have never been convicted, you will pass with flying colors..........so that wasn't/isn't enough.

Tougher rules and vetting  will help but can only go so far in identifying these predators because they are extremely clever. They know exactly what to say and how to act to not set off alarm bells and they know who to target.

Regardless, locally our Troop 350 has an impeccable record. All the adult leaders are parents who are in it for their sons but want to help others. This makes the vetting process easier. 

I know many men from other local troops and these are the type of men we want to be setting a role model for the future men that they are mentoring.

Anybody that doesn't know a lick about Boy Scouts of America could be misled by the scandalous, sensationalizing of stories related to this organization recently. 

By metmike - Feb. 25, 2020, 7:57 p.m.
Like Reply

I could write 10 pages on the psychology/theories of why adults are sexually attracted to children. It's been around since humans have existed and can't be completely wiped out of the minds of most pedophiles, regardless of treatment. 

However, despite these uncontrollable "feelings" or "desires" a responsible adult is accountable for their actions. If their totally unacceptable desire is to be with a child sexually, they know that its wrong and must be held severely accountable for using self gratification as justification for actions that greatly harm another person(child). 

In some places for repeat offenders, they do whats called a chemical castration......where the convicted offender takes a drug that suppresses testosterone and the sex drive.  This would be easy to beat as they could go to their doctor, who would verify their low testosterone and not know why, then prescribe them testosterone......hormone replacement therapy. 

Anyway, I would be good with a surgical castration of pedaphiles and also repeat rapists. Research has show that after having this procedure, only 10% of the men repeat the crime......although these men could also take testosterone to offset the effect.