Coronavirus: Fed cuts rates to near zero, CDC says cancel gatherings of 50
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - March 16, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Coronavirus: Fed cuts rates to near zero, CDC says cancel gatherings of 50 or more and NYC schools close

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/morning-briefing/coronavirus-fed-cuts-rates-near-zero-cdc-says-cancel-gatherings-n1160231

Comments
By metmike - March 16, 2020, 11:15 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - March 16, 2020, 11:20 a.m.
Like Reply

Coronavirus forces radical changes to California with sweeping restrictions on life    

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-16/coronavirus-newsom-bar-closures-seniors-medical-conditions-self-isolate

SACRAMENTO  —             

In a sweeping effort to slow the spread of coronavirus in California, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday urged people 65 and older and those with chronic health conditions to isolate themselves from others — a directive that reflects the fast-moving nature of a public health crisis that threatens the well-being of some 40 million Californians. 

Hours later, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Los Angeles bars and nightclubs will close and restaurants must halt dine-in service and limit their business to takeout orders until March 31. The order became effective at midnight Sunday.

Movie theaters, gyms and fitness centers also will be closed, Garcetti said in a video news conference Sunday. Grocery stores, pharmacies and food banks will remain open. And Garcetti announced a moratorium on evictions for renters.

Newsom also called on bars and brewery and winery tasting rooms statewide to close their doors to patrons as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the state continued to rise.

“We recognize that social isolation for millions of Californians is anxiety-inducing, but ... we need to meet this moment head-on and lean in,” Newsom said.

But Newsom again stopped short of using the full force of his authority to mandate response measures to protect Californians from the virus that causes COVID-19, a global pandemic that has resulted in six deaths and 335 confirmed cases in the state.

Instead, the governor said his request of bars and pubs is akin to an announcement he made last week asking for the cancellation of gatherings of 250 people or more. The governor is allowing restaurants to remain open and advised customers to practice “deep social distancing” when dining out — in effect, a recommendation to reduce occupancy by half.

By metmike - March 16, 2020, 11:49 a.m.
Like Reply

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/49000/

WHO: Coronavirus is different from influenza, and that means it can be contained

metmike: People are obviously not getting this message yet. 

At the end of the year, (maybe as soon as a month from now) we will look back and realize that with Coronavirus infects just a  fraction of those that get the flu...............every year for even the weakest flu season and  how incredibly over reacting the current panic was.

1,000 times more panicked than for a flu that kills 50 times more of us(in this case, most of the fatalities are the old/sick because they are the ones that are most protected by flu shots............every year)

This will NOT be as bad as the flu!!!!!

Shutting stuff down is a good thing because it's an action that bolsters my confidence that this will not be as bad as the flu.  However, we may be going overboard here with closings and its adding fuel to the off the charts panic.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

“We don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it’s just not possible,” Tedros said. “But it is possible for Covid-19. We don’t do contact-tracing for seasonal flu — but countries should do it for Covid-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.”

WHO officials said that such steps have enabled China, where the outbreak began and most cases have been reported, to bring down the number of new cases the country is seeing.

Tuesday’s briefing with reporters marked the second day in a row WHO officials pressed the flu comparison as a way to call for action, which they said is all the more important because there are no approved vaccines or therapies for the coronavirus, as there are for flu.

On Monday, Tedros said, “We have never seen before a respiratory pathogen that’s capable of community transmission but at the same time which can also be contained with the right measures. If this was an influenza epidemic, we would have expected to see widespread community transmission across the globe by now and efforts to slow it down or contain it would not be feasible.”

By wglassfo - March 16, 2020, 7:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

I respectfully disagree with you

The virus is much more contagious than the common flue

Plus we have no vaccine to stop the spread

Social distancing, hand shales all possible means to stop the curve from over whelming the health care system must be taken

If we look back and see this was not required then I would rather say I tried to do my part and I was wrong

For now, I will go with the best medical advice given and do my part to not  mingle, other than buying necessities, which can be kept to a minimum with some forward  planning

Running out of chips and  pop is not a good reason to go out and buy until the next trip for many items

By metmike - March 16, 2020, 7:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

You disagree with me on something that we agree on and I just tried to elaborate to you on the NTR forum:

Re: Re: Wonderful Chess Tournament            

By metmike - March 16, 2020, 12:42 p.m.            

Wayne,

I have insisted for weeks that shutting down and cancelling things is a very good thing:

Here are just 2 recent examples/quotes:

*Tracking the Coronavirus-best sites            

13 responses |         

Started by metmike - March 14, 2020, 11:49 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/48892/

"Shutting everything down now is a really  good thing!  It's helping to control the spread tremendously.  Short term pain for longer term gain!  The Coronavirus is worse than the flu for mainly older people(scroll down for more)......compromised immune systems and those with serious health problems..............mainly because much of that population is able to be protected from the flu every year with immunization shots.  The threat to those not in that population is very, very small and the panicked fears are totally, completely and insanely unjustified."

*Crazy Coronavirus Compilation            

4 responses |       

Started by metmike - March 13, 2020, 12:13 p.m.            

"6 weeks ago, I never thought that the US would be shutting everything done in mid March........even with expectations of it getting MUCH worse and people continuing to way over react.

Again, the shut downs and cancellations are a good thing to lessen the spread greatly and help us to get thru the panic quicker."

Does that answer some of your questions Wayne?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: Re: Re: Wonderful Chess Tournament            

By metmike - March 16, 2020, 12:53 p.m.            

Wayne: 1;  Do you think we should continue life as usual with no cancellations of anything and social distancing is a myth that should be ignored,  thus continue with the chess tournament

Answered with several posts copied above and below. 

Wayne: 2:  Do you think the rate of virus infection spreading is no greater than the flue spreading from infected to others

Because nobody has immunity from shots that we get for the flu..........Coronavirus can potentially affect more people but it WILL NOT affect more people with confidence because of extreme measures to prevent that.

Wayne: 3:  Do you think the survival rate of virus infections is equal less or greater than the flue, over the entire population of the USA.

Coronavirus is mainly killing old/sick people more than the flu because 90% of them are protected by flu shots. This is closer to what things would look like if we did not have a flu vaccine. Much higher deaths in the old/sick because they would not be protected. It's more than this but that element has a huge impact not being dialed into the deaths from an UNKNOWN virus that are GREATER than deaths from the KNOWN virus.

Wayne: 4::  Do you think the number of virus infections, in the USA will be less or more, than infections from the common flue in the yr 2020

Not only will infections be less, they will be  MUCH less. We don't have enough numbers yet but probably less than 10% of infections from the flu which is the MUCH HIGHER risk to most people just based on the larger number that are infected with the flu.

BTW, the shutdowns will crush the flu too and save more flu lives than the total number of Corona deaths.

Here's more elaborating previous thoughts:

Re: Re: Re: Everyone forgets 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic            

By metmike - March 10, 2020, 1:56 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/48739/

Ironically, I think that very aggressive even draconian measures being taken to cancel events and close schools should reassure us vs it currently signaling that this must be really, really bad because they never did this before.

The Swine and other flu's spread rapidly because people went about their lives as usual...........not taking special precautions.

With the Coronavirus, people are already washing their hands several times a day more and in places that report cases, people will be avoiding potential contact with the virus by changing their routines. This, by itself will cut way down on the spread vs how really, really bad it could spread if everybody treated it like the flu.  So this is a really, really good thing and the number of people infected with the flu will also go down.

So I am for taking most of these pretty extreme measures:

1. They will help to lessen the spread
  2. People "should" feel better that actions are being taken
  3. They are all just temporary inconveniences.
  4. Maybe this will set a precedent for dealing with the flu that kills 40,000 Americans every year