Corona gloom and doom...light at the end of the tunnel?
1 response | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - March 28, 2020, 6:13 p.m.

we live in a time of gloom and doom.

Just rode through a business district in our area…. All businesses are closed. Millions of workers are suddenly unemployed. Checking the corona sites, the infection is still spreading at an increasing rate. It is frightening.

The only happy folks seem to be our MSM commentators, since they see this crisis as an opportunity to pounce on Pres Trump. After all, it’s his fault.

Yet, there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

There is Dr. Fauci. He has always looked to me like Dr.Gloom-and-doom when he fought Trump’s optimism. Dr. Fauci is now considerably downgrading his negative stance on this issue. He now estimates, that, in the end, the corona crisis will not be any worse than a bad flu, with a fatality rate of approx. 0.1%

https://www.wnd.com/2020/03/dr-fauci-concedes-coronavirus-death-rate-like-bad-flu/

We have already posted about the Malaria medication mentioned by Pres Trump. The MSM laughed at him when he mentioned it, but in some countries, it is already used successfully to fight the virus.

I also read that Russia will have an antidote to the virus in the very near future.

Maybe all this is not very encouraging, when you look at the rapidly increasing number of infections, here in the US. But let’s not forget…. On March 1, some 1000 tests were performed in the US. Today, some 200,000 tests are performed daily… this certainly would explain the rapid increase of newly discovered infections.

I believe it's good to stop large gatherings, such as sports events. However, IMHO, small businesses should all be allowed to remain open, as long as people wear masks and practice "social distancing".  Current draconian measures are killing the country.

I feel optimistic. I hope I am right…. 

and should I be wrong, I already have my 6-months supply of toilet paper, and a 6-months supply of beer. Bring it on!!!

Comments
By metmike - March 28, 2020, 8:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Gunter!

I agree with you.

I have stocked up on ....................nothing.

I have changed nothing, except to wash my hands a couple more times every day.

Of course I can't go to the gym and I post and talk about the coronavirus alot. I'm 65 and what some would consider at an elevated risk. I have absolutely no fear of catching the coronavirus.  

After researching and studying this closely the past 2 months, the only permanent change I plan to make is to think about getting a flu shot before each flu season. The flu kills 40,000/year and I have failed to take an effective measure to protect myself  in the past.

I will also consider getting the coronavirus vaccine too, especially if it  kills 40,000 this year(which seems very unlikely but not for sure) when its available or if it looks like the actual threat of me getting that virus is close to that of the flu.

This is not to ignore a very, very serious situation that is deadly to the old and sick that are infected. The coronavirus is at least twice as contagious and the incubation period and time of being contagious is MUCH longer for COVID-19 vs the flu. 

This is what allows for speculation of worst case scenarios to scare the crap out of people. With the flu, it spreads with impunity because everybody has always accepted it and gone about their business and let it happen(though over half the population being vaccinated limits it from being much, much worse-especially for the old/sick that get vaccinated and protected at the highest rates)

We need to protect those that are vulnerable and I have been for most of the draconian/extreme measures taken but the cure is becoming much worse than the disease for most of the country that is not facing an outbreak. 

More people have been getting the flu and dying from the flu this year but only coronavirus infections and deaths matter.  A death is a death right?

No. A coronavirus death is 10,000 times more important than a flu death. Or a death from a car accident that kills 40,000 people every year.

This is new and scary and it really is serious and really is killing alot of old/sick people but the fear of it greatly exceeds the risk to almost everyone by a couple orders of magnitude. 

Compared to what I thought it would be like a month ago, it's much worse here than I expected. There was a point in time early this month that I thought  10,000 people might be infected(and I thought I was being extreme) because we had less than 100 REPORTED cases until March 7th. 

At 10 days ago, I began mentioning 200,000 as possible by the end of March and we will maybe end up around 170,000-175,000. 

The copied post  below from 10 days ago is not to do anything except to make it clear that my position is REALISTIC based on data and science. It is constantly adjusted when the data/observations justify that. 

Some people hate hearing/reading the constant comparisons with the flu to downplay the significance of COVID-19. Comparing to something that we understand and accept should be helpful if we would only be rational and not emotional. 

A very important thing to try to project now is when will the new daily infection numbers start to decrease? Since the numbers have been somewhat chaotic but still consistently increasing 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/48892/

Re: Re: *Tracking the Coronavirus-best sites            

By metmike - March 18, 2020, 11:56 a.m.            

3-3     21

3-4     31+10

3-5     75+46

3-6     99+24

3-7    116+17

3-8    121+5

3-9    179+58

3-10   290+111

3-11   247-43

3-12   425+178

3-13   528+103

3-14   732+204

3-15   710-22            % Increase in daily rate vs previous day this week(with increased testing)

3-16   976+266            +37%

3-17   1,816+880            +90%    

3-18    2,947+1,131   +62% 

Total cases 9,424  

There will be revisions of some previous days.

I am  guessing that we will get well OVER 60,000 before the end of the month now(with a new upside target of 200,000 possible-if the increased rate does not slow down).

. We need  many more data points with the ramped up testing and reporting to get a better idea but the exponential increase right now HAS NOT slowed down/decelerated.

We could still see some huge increases ahead. The Coronavirus is at least twice as contagious as the flu(NOBODY IS IMMUNIZED), so the spread before we imposed the draconian measures may have been very rapid and affected many people that will show up with positive tests the rest of the month.

We should note that there are alot of people infected that are not a statistic because their symptoms were so mild that they didn't get tested or need to see a doctor. Some didn't even realize they had it.

That revised higher guess of 60,000+ before the end of the month could go much higher. The of increase this week, if sustained could result in 200,000+ at the end of the month.  We will let the data tell us more.

That sounds like a lot but 250 times that many have had the flu so far this season!!!!!!!!!!!!

200,000(Coronavirus cases on March 30)  X 250  =50,000,000(flu cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

36,000,000 – 51,000,000
flu illnesses"