What happened??
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 16, 2020, 1:14 a.m.

When Mike 1st started to track corona virus infections and deaths it was my opinion the thought was once we found out millions would not be infected, the virus would not be as bad as the common flue, and when infections finally topped the panic would subside and then life would become normal very quickly

Instead we are still in lock down, state and federal officials can't agree on how to re-open for business. millions have applied for unemployment benefits, we have trillions added to the deficit plus the Fed adding trillions to it's balance sheet and among other things the banks will probably needed another bail out due to all the defaulted loans on their books

Seems like what was thought would be much less than the common flue has morphed into a very big deal

I don't know if the panic has stopped even though we seem to have finally registered a top in new infections

If the panic has stopped then why not just resume life as it was before the lock down. I don't think people will put up with lock down much longer. I am  on day 7 of voluntary home confinement. I live on a farm with room to get outside and get the stink blowed off me.. Even had the lawn mower out yesterday, but the snow covered up the lawn today. What do people do that are confined to an apartment for a month already. What do you do when waiting for the elevator in a high rise apartment bldg. and find two people already in the dam thing. Does social distancing go out the window or do you wait all day??? with your two bags of groceries

I think a depression is negative GDP for 2 or more yrs

Not sure if there is a number for unemployment, but negative GDP won't see as many jobs, I would think

A lot of things could happen and not many are good

Maybe a walk in the park with our friends will be the best we can hope for.

Hopefully the price of meat does not get too expensive or that could cause more panic.

Better fill the freeezer with meat because the price will go up. Meat will be the next TP

Comments
By wglassfo - April 16, 2020, 6:02 a.m.
Like Reply

I did not know it but in Lansing Mich things have already started to unravel as protestors want the economy to open up

Talk about a panic, 1000's of protestors in cars have caused gridlock around the capitol. Some had body armour and AR-15 rifles. No police force will try to break up that many people. This is panic in a large scale

So what happens if this spreads to other cities

Another panic will happen as soon as the supply chain for food, water, fuel or ?? for survival breaks down. People will flock out of the cities and invade the rural area looking for survival needs. They will need it now, not when the normal cycle of growing, processing, or importing and transportation of food can operate properly 

Possibly 80% of these people will be armed

It is impossible for vast numbers to live off the land nor do we have time to grow food, locally, in every part of the country. We will have food in specific places but the supply chain will be broken. The 1st thing that might happen is when large food processors can not operate and then move the food to the people. Empty food shelves will cause a panic.

I think Smith fields is not operating at full capacity and a meat packing plant in Alberta, Canada has shut down which processed 1500 head of cattle daily. You can check my numbers but I think that is true. I know a small packing plant in Ontario has shut down for lack of workers

This is a ticking time bomb, unless the economy is allowed to function properly, and people don't get paid to stay home

A distant family member is making more money by staying home than working. Another has one member who stays home and makes a comfortable income while the other has to work to make her wages

This system will not last very long, before we have large scale panic

And to think we thought the panic would be over by now

The panic is increasing not decreasing or will increase unless the system is allowed to operate properly

By metmike - April 18, 2020, 1:37 p.m.
Like Reply

"Talk about a panic, 1000's of protestors in cars have caused gridlock around the capitol. Some had body armour and AR-15 rifles. No police force will try to break up that many people. This is panic in a large scale"

Thanks Wayne, I grew up in Detroit and have been following Michigan's COVID-19 issues much closer than those here in Indiana because of whats going on up there.

I don't believe this was panic.. In fact, the ones protesting are protesting AGAINST the panic. They want their counties and cities outside of the Detroit area, where there are not many cases, to be opened up again and feel the Governors absurd stay at home orders, for counties that have no cases(and it includes banning gardening and landscaping) is totally unreasonable.

Joint replacement surgeries are banned but abortions are allowed. ............guess what party the governor is from?

Wayne county has been experiencing an infection rate that is over 3,000 times higher than the northern half of the state, including the Upper Peninsula.

But they have the same restrictions in all the counties. 

In cases like this, where 2 sides disagree, the truth is often in the middle............not here though. She is WRONG, they are RIGHT.

I have the reasoning in this thread below.

Michigan protests stay at home order            

Started by metmike - April 15, 2020, 9:19 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/50638/