How is COVID-19 Affecting you?
11 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - April 17, 2020, 12:25 p.m.

We would be interested in hearing how you are being affected......or not affected.

Comments
By metmike - April 17, 2020, 12:28 p.m.
Like Reply

For me, the biggest negative impact is not being able to go to the gym. However, my wife's work has a stair stepper and some weights that I have been able to use.

Also, spending hours every day  monitoring the data and listening to CNN/FOX and news sources.

How about you guys!

By wglassfo - April 17, 2020, 3:37 p.m.
Like Reply

My wife got sick a week ago, called the local virus hot line and was asked to go to emerg. After being the only person in emerg her symptoms were such that she  was asked to self quarantine. If her symptoms became worse, then call back. Since we live and share the same house hold items I went into voluntary quarantine.

We had a couple tillage machines demonstrated on our farm. It was a bit frustrating to not be able to go out and watch the machines operate as sales people and my family amounted to too many people, in one group, who I might spread the virus, for me to take a chance and infect some body else, even though I feel fine. With the current price of corn we can't afford to buy anything, but if we could we need some thing different.

My grand son bought a farm this yr with a modern house on it so that will take all of us to support that purchase. I told him we would back stop his payments if necessary. Hate to start off farm payments with int only when he is trying to establish a credit score of his own.

I can't go out to the shop and see what is going on in the shop as we wait for the snow to stop falling and spring work to commence

We have to have our daughter-in-law do our shopping, although today is the last day  [once a week] and my quarantine will be done next Tues.

I took the back hoe out one day to do some work with it and had to wear leather gloves so as to not contaminate any thing I touched

I can't go to the coffee shop and catch up on the local news

My son and grand son usually come in the house for lunch daily when working in the shop. This is a good time to get caught up on what is going on, any business decisions etc. Now we can't get together so if it is important, we have to use the telephone

Our other son wanted to come visit for a week end but we had to tell them they had to stay away. That was hard as they live a distance away and we seldom see them. So we use the telephone.

A lot happens on our farm every day. We are finding the supply chain for parts is  breaking down. Some parts such as special fuses, wire connectors and even bearings are not in stock. Fortunately we carry a decent inventory of spare parts but we are running low or in some cases the part is just not available. We use a lot of cameras on our equipment which uses a lot of weird fuses and electrical connections, which are not available

We needed to pour a small cement pad and our county has stopped all construction. We need a permit or the cement people will not deliver the cement. hat little bit of cement is holding up an irrigation system for sweet corn. We think we got the minister of labour to over rule our county

We have seasonal workers when harvesting sweet corn, who work on the sorting line. Will they arrive in time?? or will we grow a crop of sweet corn which will not go to market due to a lack of workers. Local people are getting paid more to stay home and not work, than those deemed essential workers and go to work every day. Good luck for us to find temporary local help.

All in all this being in quarantine plus the lock down is no fun at all, and a pain in the butt, plus is hurting financially. I suppose on the bright side it would take a lot to go BK as some have already in other business

I could go on but I hit the high points and this post is long enough already

By metmike - April 17, 2020, 4:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I'm sorry you are still under the quarantine but  am puzzled based on your previous thread about this but think that I just figured it out:

This is no fun            

Started by wglassfo - April 8, 2020, 10:15 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/50208/

Originally, I was thinking that they should have tested your wife and you to give you a definitive answer on whether you have COVID-19 or not..........then, if you don't have it, allow you to go on with your lives. That's the least they can do for you if they expect you to make such an extreme sacrifice........... completely cut yourself off from people for 3 weeks.

If they think that you are such high risk........administer the test to find out.

OK, so you are not having symptoms and maybe that's why they will not test you. But this is unfair to you.........expecting you to give up 3 weeks of your life that isn't needed if you took the test.

The average incubation period of the virus is 5 days. Longest time possible to get symptoms after exposure is probably around 12 days.  

Since this was at least 12 days ago and you have not experienced any symptoms, I can tell you that its extraordinarily unlikely that you have COVID-19. 

I understand that the concern was over you traveling to a high risk area but this is very unfair to you and especially, a quarantine for another week just makes no medical or science sense.

If it was me, I would be using common sense and my knowledge of the virus and ignore the unjustified quarantine beyond this point. 

How Long Is the Incubation Period for the Coronavirus?

https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-incubation-period

By metmike - April 17, 2020, 10:28 p.m.
Like Reply

I forgot to mention that the 4 schools that I coach chess at cancelled classes 5 weeks ago, so chess ended early this year.

By TimNew - April 18, 2020, 6:28 a.m.
Like Reply

We seldom leave the property.  Well,  I'll amend that.  My wife has not left, except once to gas up her car, and she never got out of the car.   I filled it.    I seldom leave and throw my clothes in the laundry and shower upon return if I've been in proximity to others (Grocery shopping,  etc).  I am nearly certain I am erring on the side of caution,  probably to the nth degree,  but the wife has immune  issues and I think a little caution is cheap.  

Most of our groceries are now delivered.  We pay on line and they appear on the front porch.  I'm thinking this would be a great time for underage drinking  :-)

By wglassfo - April 18, 2020, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

I am not sure why we were not tested. The only reason I can think of is the shortages of test kits in Ontario. It was just easier to not test and quarantine than use up short test kit supplies. We were told to quarantine at home and if conditions changed for the worse, to call the hot line. My wife has a lung with scar tissue which placed her in  high risk plus my previous history of smoking for 50 yrs,  I stopped 3 yrs plus ago but have COFD condition [think I spelled that correctly] which is also high risk. My wife has recovered and we think she had a really bad flue, as she was sick for at least a week, but I was fine the whole time with no symptoms. I did the cooking as best I could.

I don't dare go out as the whole community knows our situation. My quarantine will be over next week so we might as well just wait and then resume. Even so, our community for the most part is really into social distancing, groups of more than two or three etc.

My wife has gone on zoom for church service and one other time to get together with her chimes group. So, people are asking how she feels, and know our situation. I am a person not wanted any where until my time is up. Then I can participate in farm operations, etc. like everybody else, next week. Only 3 more days

It snowed some more here yesterday, seems like daily this past week, but the ground is finally clear of snow, today. 

I can see some real problems with the supply chain breaking down. Out daughter-in-law says there are some big gaps in the grocery store with nothing available. Meat is already in short supply. We have a shortage of replacement parts on machinery

Just a few more days and our life will resume, at least like everybody else in lock down. We seem to lag your country with new infections still increasing, so we will be in lock down longer than you folks. I expect the mid- western provinces to open up 1st as they have the least number of infections, due to low population, I would think. Sort of like the Dakotas

By metmike - April 18, 2020, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

I'd never heard of the online groceries before Tim but 3 weeks ago, my youngest son work shut down for 2 weeks(Barry Plastics because of lack of demand) and he decided to deliver online groceries, rather than just collect unemployment. 

On  his first job he got a $20 tip. He said most of the people were extremely grateful and older. 

I have a box of N-95 masks from over 10 years ago(30 left out of 40) and so he one of those while doing the job. 

I've done our usual grocery shopping  during the shutdown. My wife keeps telling me that its required to wear a mask but more than half the people are not wearing masks, including me. 

A mask does help protect you but the main reason to wear a mask is to protect other people from you, in case you might have it and are asymptomatic. There is no way that I got it going to the grocery store or the exercise room at my wifes work. 

I am 64 but had the flu 1 time in 30 years and a cold 2 times in 30 years and as a scientist,  am thinking about the MUCH higher odds of a person in my county, dying from other things, like a car accident, heart attack and stroke and don't even think about the risk when I'm out.

My wife was petrified for quite awhile. When I filled the gas tank up with gas, she was furious with me for touching the pump with my bare hands. I used a wipe afterwards but a few weeks ago, when the panic was much higher she was very upset with me for not taking it serious enough.

I was taking it serious..........as a scientist. And after analyzing the daily scientific facts/data for Vanderburgh county Indiana, used that to seriously guide my opinion/risk assessment. 

I grew up in Detroit, in Wayne County MI. Outside of NYC, they have had the highest number of cases. That county, by itself has more cases than all but 5 entire states. WOW! 

If I was living in or visiting Wayne county, you bet I would wear a mask everywhere that I went and think about everything that I did to minimize the risk.

One of my best friends in school died from COVID-19 earlier this month. My siblings know several people they went to school with that had/have it.

https://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/obituaries/name/frank-margetich-obituary?pid=195904269&v=batesville&view=guestbook&page=4

By bear - April 18, 2020, 5:10 p.m.
Like Reply

schools are shut down,  and can't take the family out to eat, ... other than that not much is different.  

only big problem is internet service is not sufficient for home schooling stuff... 

By wglassfo - April 18, 2020, 6:46 p.m.
Like Reply

I am begining to think the cure is worse than the disease

With every thing shut down, there has to be a lot of pain

Business going Bk and lost jobs will really hurt the economy. No way we have a V shaped recovery

I can see the few hot spots being cautious about opening up as we don't want a second wave of infections

I wish china would be a bit more forth coming about their experience with opening up. I suspect they got a second wave of infection at least in Wahun but china thinks if they suffer, then so does the world. They don't give out any info that is worth squat

Never the less, we have a whole bunch of people that are healthy and if even minimum precautions are taken, a lot of people could go to work

Our grocery store was doing shopping by telephone, paying on line some how, and then you drove to the back of the store, by appointment, and they would load your vechicle. They had to stop because everybody was shopping by telephone. They were doing a free service but of coarse people took advantage of their generosity. They did not have enough people to keep up to demand

Once I am out of quarantine I will do essential shopping and drug store etc. I have a mask my sister-in-law made for me and a pair of leather gloves to wear. The local stores have arrows and lines on the floor to keep people a safe distance away from each other. That is fine until the person ahead of you stops to talk on their cell phone and the whole line comes to a halt

Oh well. I think we could do stuff, work, shop etc. and stay some what safe. This stimulas money will eventually bite us, as there seems no end in sight to free money all from thin air

Our TV is still telling us to stay at home, be safe, and stop the spread. That was just on our TV as I did this post. 

By cutworm - April 18, 2020, 8:17 p.m.
Like Reply

We have had 7 deaths in my county from CCP virous.

On Friday March 20 My fire dept was toned out to a car stranded in a flash flood 6 people lost their lives in that. Yet we worry about CCP virous. 

The news that everyone could get unemployment $1000 / week led to 2 of our employees taking a week off until they found out they didn't qualify. They came back but that was a tuff time trying not to loose our customer.

My wife and I miss our grand children. 

2 of my daughters work at hospitals, and they say that they should not get special attention as this is their calling and it is their responsibility to do their job. My wife also.

We will try to keep all of our employees employed. No problem right now but if housing slows?

No problems getting parts but have to call and they bring out to you

Mass has been canceled but I find myself doing extra to keep holy the sabbath 

Did I say we miss our grand children?

We will persevere, what doesn't kill you make you stronger. Hard times make strong people. Though this is not really hard at all

Cutworm   

By 7475 - April 18, 2020, 8:45 p.m.
Like Reply

OK here we go.

Im in residential construction and currently managing an involved flip project for a mortgage banker customer.

Its been getting me out most days since I personally do alot of the carpentry work there. Just finished a deck re-do last week at another location- after that Ill be starving for work-nothing coming in !!

My wife is a private consultant at the field level (last in line) for international corporate relocation with a specialty in education.That mostly involves getting foriegn transferees' kids set-up in the American schools systems.The parents, like most of their kids, are spoiled brats but have succumbed to the restrictions as well. Nothing happening with that stuff these days.

Last  year my wife bought a rental property in the Outer Banks vacation town of Corolla. She depends on rental income to pay the mortgage and looks like a rental season  wont happen this year-that bites.

Ive done alot of work there but those wasted efforts pale in comparison to what she's facing.

I cant even bring up the subject without the pots and pans flying.

Shes a little sensitive to the subject-hardly blame her but the pans still hurt.

There you have it.

John