Crop condition report April 27, 2020
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - April 27, 2020, 9 p.m.

https://release.nass.usda.gov/reports/prog1820.txt

Winter wheat crop deteriorated another 3% gd/ex so down 8% in the last 2 weeks. Thats alot. Up 2% in the p/vp which is +5% the last 2 weeks, that big too and bullish.

My forecast is for not much rain in the southwest belt with a few days of heat coming this week. 2 week rains below.

Weather Model

27% corn planted was more than the market expected and a bit bearish.

Comments
By metmike - April 27, 2020, 9:14 p.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

Reuters poll for U.S. Crop Progress, April 26. Corn and soy planting seen ahead of recent average pace. 

5-year averages for:#Corn planted 20%

#Soybeans planted 4% 

Spring #wheat planted 29%#plant20

By metmike - April 27, 2020, 9:15 p.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

U.S. Crop Progress highlights, April 26:

#Corn 27% planted,

#soybeans 8% planted (both ahead of avg). 

Spring #wheat 14% planted (29% avg). #plant20

Winter wheat ratings drop 3 pts to 54% good/exc, incl. a 6-point drop in top producer Kansas, now 40% g/e.

By metmike - April 27, 2020, 9:16 p.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

·

U.S. #corn was 27% planted as of Sunday, up from 7% a week earlier and ahead of the 5yr avg (20%). Huge progress in the top 4 states (last wk Rightwards arrow this wk): Iowa 2% Rightwards arrow 39% Illinois 8% Rightwards arrow 37% Minnesota 1% Rightwards arrow 40% Nebraska 2% Rightwards arrow 20% All of those ahead of average. #plant20Image

·

By wglassfo - April 27, 2020, 11:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Many places had cold soil but excellent soil conditions. After last yr, late planting, many decided to get the crop planted as soil conditions allowed

We have got sweet corn planted and today was our 1st commercial corn planting. It was a bit late in the morning when we started planting as the soil was still a bit tacky but the sun and wind soon dried the soil. Then we had to deal with some wet fert. which we think was water in the delivery truck auger. 50 acres and the wet fert. was used up, but an aggravation when you want to get it done quickly. We hope to add a bunch of acres planted to morrow as the rain might return.

Hopefully next week will be good weather.

By metmike - April 28, 2020, 1:22 a.m.
Like Reply

That's pretty early to get sweet corn planted that far north.

Hopefully you don't get a late freeze on it.

By wglassfo - April 28, 2020, 8:05 p.m.
Like Reply

By tonight, Apr. 28 we will have 500 acres plus planted both sweet corn and commercial

Most of the sweet corn is under plastic. 

Not so the commercial

Any time after Apr 25 unless a cold rain is in the forcast, and soil must be dry

1st 24-48 hrs is curcial when planting early

We  have had corn take 3 weeks to emerge and was okay

We can't plant everything at optimum planting date

By cutworm - April 29, 2020, 8:06 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike until the corn has 4 collars  (4th leaf)  the growing point is below ground and it can take a frost.  I had Frost damage May 15 or 16th 2017 corn did fine. However frost in june when the growing point is affected is bad.

By metmike - April 29, 2020, 12:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cutworm, great point!

It would take a HARD freeze or numerous hours well below freezing to hurt the growing point for the next month.

28 degrees for several hours would probably just burn off exposed tissue and the corn plant would grow back out of it quickly. 

But the earlier we plant, the more vulnerable the plant. There is the potential for some pretty cold weather in the Great Lakes over the next 2 weeks. Hopefully not an extreme freeze. I am not questioning Wayne's decision to plant early. 

If it was me, I would have definitely done the same thing. Get the crop planted when you can when presented with the right conditions and take a small chance that it was the wrong decision vs............waiting for perfect conditions at the right time............which never come. 

I have spend much, much time in years past, covering the vegetables in my garden with literally over 100 pails (that I accumulated over the past 25 years) to protect them from a freeze because I wanted to get them planted ASAP...........and it turned out to be too early. 

In most years, it gave me a head start and an advantage, which was the objective.(and thanks to the pails-with very low risk-just some extra work).

This obviously does not apply to crops planted with seeds, just  warm season transplants like peppers and tomatoes

One year, I had 20 deg. F in March on my cold season crops(broccoli/cauliflour ect) and assumed they were dead. So I replanted everything in a different spot(when I had 5 acres of land) not wanting to completely give up hope on the early stuff. ALL the plants did magnificent and we had even more to give away!

Frost Damage on Young Corn

https://graincrops.ca.uky.edu/content/frost-damage-young-corn

By metmike - April 29, 2020, 7:18 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/51391/

Apparently the wheat got hammered because of rains in wheat country of Russia.

Positive news about beating COVID-19 helped the stock market and the not as bearish as expected EIA storage report, rallied crude and this likely helped C and S.

Here's the latest 2 week rains from the European model.

Below that, temperatures for next Friday morning on the last GFS operational model.

There is some really cold air coming down into Southeastern Canada late next week. Well down into the 20's!!!  If that cold gets a bigger push, into the Eastern Cornbelt, it could end up being pretty bullish. If temps, for instance dropped into the mid 20's in IN and OH.

Wayne, I hope you dodge the bullet on your early planted corn with this cold wave as it looks like U-20's next Thu and Fri mornings for you )-:

Weather ModelWeather Model

By metmike - April 30, 2020, 7:57 p.m.
Like Reply

Ear of maizeSince 1866, Nebraska has outproduced Illinois in #corn 4 times: 1927, 1930, 1988 & 2012, largest win being 1988 w/ 118 mln bushels. #AGTRIVIA IL beat NE by 61 mln bu in 2019, the smallest margin since 1933. Largest ever margin? 2007, when IL produced 812 mbu more than NE.Image

The 2019 difference in #corn production between Illinois and Nebraska - with IL producing 61 million bushels more - was very unusual. In 2016-2018, Illinois outproduced Nebraska by an average of 519 million bushels each year. #AGTRIVIA

@kannbwx

·

Minnesota farmers had planted 40% of their #corn by Sunday, tied with 2009 for 3rd fastest. Fastest is 2010 w/ 66% and 2nd is 2016 w/ 49%. Avg is 19%. #plant20 That was a jump of 39 points on the week, MN's best week since that ended May 14, 2017 (+49 pts).

Meanwhile, Illinois is off to a record start on #soybeans, planting 18% by April 26. Fastest known progress by that date was 10% in 2012. Recent avg is 4%. Early planting typically bodes very well for soybeans in IL, but summer rains will be key. #plant20

I just realized this: Illinois planting progress on #soybeans was 18% on April 26. Last year, Illinois hit the 18% mark on May 30. Wow.

·

·

U.S. #corn was 27% planted as of Sunday, up from 7% a week earlier and ahead of the 5yr avg (20%). Huge progress in the top 4 states (last wk Rightwards arrow this wk): Iowa 2% Rightwards arrow 39% Illinois 8% Rightwards arrow 37% Minnesota 1% Rightwards arrow 40% Nebraska 2% Rightwards arrow 20% All of those ahead of average. #plant20Image

I only have the stats for Iowa available right now, but 39% of #corn planted as of April 26 is well ahead of the 20% avg. In the past 15 years, only 4 were faster by this date: 2006 42% 2009 47% 2010 70% 2016 45%