Vaccine will not save us
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 30, 2020, 11:37 p.m.

Someplace down below was a discussion re: the cure is worse than the disease due to faulty data. At least that was the gist of the convsation, I listened to, posted by Larry, I think. But I could not find it to reply to the specific post

Anyhow :

This person also said an effective vaccine would not be found. He claimed vaccines are intended to build up anti bodies in the human body, to protect against further infection of a given disease or infection.. However, we have evidence that people can be infected, a second time, as a test will show anti bodies in the human body, that had the virus. Some may not even know they were infected.. But, it is known that just because you have the anti body in your blood stream is no protection to a second attack. 

Thus this person questioned if a vaccine could be found, that would be effective, as anti bodies, in the blood stream, are no protection to attack, by the corona virus. 

I thought it was initially thought anti bodies would protect a person but later tests showed the human body can be infected, again, even with anti body protection, from the 1st infection..

Does this also mean the herd immunity theory is a misplaced theory

I dunno. Interesting observation

Does anybody have some information I might have missed???

Comments
By metmike - May 2, 2020, 2:03 p.m.
Like Reply

The science tells us that a vaccine will likely protect us like it does for the flu because it will cause us to produce antibodies which will fight the virus.

How long and effective? We don't know that but it seems an almost sure thing that there will be some protection, probably for numerous months if not longer.

With Pressure Growing, Global Race for a Vaccine Intensifies

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/politics/vaccines-coronavirus-research.html

So far, much of the research and development has been supported by governments and foundations. And much remains to be worked out when it comes to patents and what national governments will claim in return for their support and pledges of quick regulatory approval.

Given the stakes, it is no surprise that while scientists and doctors talk about finding a “global vaccine,” national leaders emphasize immunizing their own populations first. Mr. Trump said he was personally in charge of “Operation Warp Speed” to get 300 million doses into American arms by January.

Already, the administration has identified 14 vaccine projects it intends to focus on, a senior administration official said, with the idea of further narrowing the group to a handful that could go on, with government financial help and accelerated regulatory review, to meet Mr. Trump’s goal. The winnowing of the projects to 14 was reported Friday by NBC News.

But other countries are also signaling their intention to nationalize their approaches. The most promising clinical trial in China is financed by the government. And in India, the chief executive of the Serum Institute of India — the world’s largest producer of vaccine doses — said that most of its vaccine “would have to go to our countrymen before it goes abroad.”

George Q. Daley, the dean of Harvard Medical School, said thinking in country-by-country rather than global terms would be foolhardy since it “would involve squandering the early doses of vaccine on a large number of individuals at low risk, rather than covering as many high-risk individuals globally” — health care workers and older adults — “to stop the spread” around the world.

By metmike - May 2, 2020, 2:04 p.m.
Like Reply

In quest for vaccine, US makes 'big bet' on company with unproven technology

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/us/coronavirus-moderna-vaccine-invs/index.html

By metmike - May 2, 2020, 2:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Opinion:

What the Proponents of ‘Natural’ Herd Immunity Don’t Say

Try to reach it without a vaccine, and millions will die.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/opinion/coronavirus-herd-immunity.html