Exports of meat to china
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - May 11, 2020, 11:23 p.m.

Golly what a bad situation for the country

Smithfield, the largest hog producer and procssor in the USA is shipping large anounts of pork to China. Plus China is buying from other meat packing plants

So:  Is this right when many meat packers are shut down or are operating under reduced production.

So: Here we are with meat shortages in america and yet  huge amounts of pork is being shipped to China. But: Trump signed a trade deal with china in which china agreed to buy huge amounts of Ag products. So: Do you renege on the trade deal with china and not allow pork going to china or do you allow even more meat shortages in americian grocery stores, as pork is shipped to china

Grain prices are depressed, livestock, ready for market does not have enough processing capacity, and china takes part of the shortage of processed meat supply

Comments
By TimNew - May 12, 2020, 4:04 a.m.
Like Reply

I believe most/all of the numbers available are from the 1st qtr. 2nd qtr may/should look quite different.

By 7475 - May 12, 2020, 6:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Didnt "the Chinese" buy Smithfield a couple years ago?

I really dont know how that might work as far as favoring" their home country" as customers.

Surely it cant be that basic in todays global economy.

John

By MarkB - May 12, 2020, 11:17 p.m.
Like Reply

I see this as a strategic move on China's part. If you have ownership in a company based in the US, and you "buy" the products for export, which count towards the trade agreement, where can they go wrong? Not their problem if it affects any meat shortage in the US. Even though the meats are produced in the US.

By wglassfo - May 13, 2020, 12:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes John

China bought Smithfield for 1.1 bil. if memory of the dollar amount serves me correct

Largest hog producer [and processor I think] in the USA

Any way china owns Smithfield

Like I said you folks sold the store to china in medicine, appliances, clothing made from cotton, etc etc.

Wasn't until Trump came along and realized you sold the store and he decided to do some thing

Now you got a cold war with china

Congress just passed a bill authorizing Trump to seek reparations for causing untold damages and death

You can imagine how well china will re-act to this

Yessir: You got a cold war with china a brewing, but china isn't any USSR or the old Soviet Union

Much stronger than Russia

That's why Trump wants an ally in Russsia

Russia is sitting on part of what used to be china in Siberia, so Russia is a bit wary of china. China wants the resources in Siberia, but Russia is out numbered.

But if you folks won't let Trump make an ally out of Russia, you got your head in the sand

Then I guess you got a tiger by the tail

One thing you do have is south east asia don't much like china either. China has plenty of enemies thus they started the belt and road initiative, looking for trading allies

Things might get interesting real quick like, if the USA demands to investigate the source of the virus

Might be more info than you asked for

By bear - May 13, 2020, 10:40 p.m.
Like Reply

another odd thought about this topic.  

i remember reading a couple years back how u.s. meat packers were planning to ship the frozen carcasses to china, and have the processing done there.  so then the packaged meat gets shipped back to the u.s.

this might end up being counted as an export to china.  even tho some of that meat turns around and ends up back here in the u.s. after it is packaged.  

so this could end up confusing the issue.  

it is simply a matter of outsourcing some of the labor that would traditionally be done in the u.s.

save maybe half a penny per share on labor costs.  and i'm sure an upper manager got a bonus.  

but personally,  i don't want to eat something that is made in china.  i don't trust their quality that much.  

By wglassfo - May 14, 2020, 12:52 p.m.
Like Reply

I seem to be on this post a bit much

Any way we travelled to china a few yrs ago, on a culture exchange deal so the cost was subsidized or we could not afford to go.

The people are really friendly but there are so many you don't have much personal space. That is why asians seem so pushy when in our country. That is their culture to crowd up right beside or behind you as that is what they do in china

We visited a meat shop and a hog was on the wooden butcher table being cut up into pieces, for sale. By mid afternoon the whole hog was sold, including feet, head, leg hocks, etc.nothing was left but a bit of blood on the wooden table. I would imagine another hog would be on that same table tomorrow. They consider chicken feet a delicacy. Have you ever seen the feet on any kind of livestock. Yuck:  and they eat the feet of most any animal, plus snakes, bats and who knows what

You all know the santizer problem with meat on a wooden platform, but that did not seem to be an issue with chinese people

You are correct. They have different standards than we do and I would not eat their meat either. Problem was, while in china you eat their food or nothing.