Pitch forks and torches
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - May 30, 2020, 6:40 p.m.

It just occurred to me:

I had posted some time ago about pitch forks and torches in the streets

At the time I was sure enough to post about problems, but any thought as to why was just guess work at the time of my post

Today, with riots, burning, civil unrest, I wonder if this qualifies as pitch forks in the streets

Pitch forks and torches are obviously  methods and tools used from a long time ago, as that was what the peasants had handy to use as a weapon to display their feelings against injustice

Is todays riots, burning etc. the modern version of pitch forks and torches.

Sure looks to me, like the modern version, of rebellion against oppression

Comments
By metmike - May 31, 2020, 3:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Hurting innocent people, vandalizing, lighting fires, throwing bricks at cops, looting and so on are acts of criminals.

The chaos and hate venting is doing the opposite of garnering support for a good cause..........it's resulting in the cause being rejected by some people because the messengers are delivering the message in an abhorrent, disrespectful, harmful way that earns ZERO respect for themselves and what they supposedly stand for(the opposite of what they demonstrate with their horrible actions).

Wayne, 

The picture below seems to depict your description. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest

A protest (also called a demonstration, remonstration or remonstrance) is a public expression of objection, disapproval or dissent towards an idea or course of action, typically a political one.[2][3] Protests can take many different forms, from individual statements to mass demonstrations. Protesters may organize a protest as a way of publicly making their opinions heard in an attempt to influence public opinion or government policy, or they may undertake direct action in an attempt to directly enact desired changes themselves.[4] Where protests are part of a systematic and peaceful nonviolent campaign to achieve a particular objective, and involve the use of pressure as well as persuasion, they go beyond mere protest and may be better described as cases of civil resistance or nonviolent resistance.[5]

Various forms of self-expression and protest are sometimes restricted by governmental policy (such as the requirement of protest permits),[6] economic circumstances, religious orthodoxy, social structures, or media monopoly. One state reaction to protests is the use of riot police. Observers have noted an increased militarization of protest policing, with police deploying armored vehicles and snipers against the protesters. When such restrictions occur, protests may assume the form of open civil disobedience, more subtle forms of resistance against the restrictions, or may spill over into other areas such as culture and emigration.

Protesters against big government fill the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol and the National Mall on 12 September 2009.

An artist's depiction of a prototypical angry mob protesting with the threat of violence

By wglassfo - May 31, 2020, 11:23 a.m.
Like Reply

I have read reports of officers trying to control riots and protestors being wounded by gun fire from the crowds of protestors. I also read [unconfirmed] that one officer died

Reports also of guns being spotted amongst the protestors, albeit snipers were posted on roof tops around the WH

This is turning ugly with the potential of increased violence

You are correct, Mike, 

The way this is going the peaceful protestors will not want any association with violence

However, I fear guns will become more evident in the ranks of protestors, with a tit for tat sort of thing, possible. Law enforcement may not see it as a tit for tat and use over whelming force at some time in the near future

Somebody already had a sign saying "one dead for one dead"

As I said, those with the most guns, willing to use them usually win the rebellion 

I am positive we will see more guns being used

By metmike - May 31, 2020, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

One of the saddest things related to this, is that CNN is actually enjoying it and sending signals to rioters at times, that they are justified. They are doing their best to use it against President Trump. 

Last night, the early morning  host on CNN was telling viewers that the reason that this is getting worse is that the POLICE are abusing protesters, which is causing them to get violent and people watching the POLICE abuse protesters on television are upset and want to join the protests the next night. Not telling viewers that this violence by rioters was disgusting but instead, telling them its justified and being caused by police brutality. 

In this article, for instance, not once do they condemn the violence.........in fact, they justify it at the end:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/tech/minneapolis-misinformation/index.html

"But real protests were already happening. Russia sought to exploit an ongoing situation, tapping into genuine grievances felt by Americans. So yes, there might be some fake accounts — but the protests are real, and so are the protesters' concerns."

"(CNN)In coming hours and days you'll likely hear the claims:  "outside forces," perhaps even Russians, are mobilizing online to inflame tensions and stoke violence as protests sweep  America following the death of George Floyd, the  unarmed black man who died Monday at the hands of Minneapolis police officers .

metmike: Ahhh, no not outside forces, you CNN are doing it intentionally. 

In this article below, they continue to put the blame on President Trump and enjoy discussing his dilemna and the serious divide its creating in his administration and how he is not handling it right............without once condemning the violence. 

A serious divide exists among Trump advisers over how to address nights of protests and riots in US after Floyd's death

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/31/politics/trump-protests-george-floyd/index.html

(CNN)A serious divide has emerged among Donald Trump's top allies and advisers over how the President should address several nights of protests and riots across the nation

Trump has adopted an uneven message on the demonstrations. While in some appearances he has taken a measured approach in calling for calm, on Twitter he has used violent rhetoric and seemed to suggest Saturday his supporters stage a counter-protest outside the White House.

Several advisers feared, and hoped to avoid, another Charlottesville moment, when Trump was criticized after declaring in 2017 that "very fine people" were among the Nazi mobs that descended upon Charlottesville, Virginia. When the President made his first vague statement on that violence, he blamed the conflicts on "many sides."

Some advisers wonder whether a presidential address calling for calm would be quickly erased by Trump's own penchant for escalation and instigation.

Trump has been hesitant to hold another Oval address after his last one regarding the coronavirus was widely panned. Within minutes, Trump made several inaccurate claims that his administration was later forced to clarify."

metmike: The story is not to discuss all the damage and innocent people being hurt by the violence or to tell the reader it's wrong but, instead to only discuss what the president is doing that's wrong to address it and to advertise THE DIVIDE its causing in his political party which is what they want more than they do peace or what's right for this country..........  to DIVIDE the republicans.

Whatever President Trump does, it will be the wrong thing and the riots will continue to be his fault. If he talks tough, he's inflaming emotions and inciting violence and getting regulated by Twitter, if he doesn't, he's not doing enough.

When he demands justice and honors the memory of George Floyd, his message is completely ignored by the MSM.........they don't want this president to be associated with positive civil rights messages because their narratives depend on him being labeled as a racist...............why else would  CNN, during this crisis, bring up the false racist narrative they pinned on him from the Charlottesville protest?

What exactly is the intention of that connection?

Is there 1 iota of positive contribution?

It's entirely to give the reader/viewer the impression that President Trump is a racist and now, whatever he does here, during this crisis, it should be viewed from the point of view that he  is acting as a racist.