Mediabiasfactcheck.com not liberally biased
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - June 2, 2020, 3:07 a.m.

Gunter raised a concern that https://mediabiasfactcheck.com may be liberally biased, which if true would imo lead to more sources of info being classified by that website as right biased than left biased. Well, not only is this not the case, but it is the opposite: it classified many more as left biased than right biased. I counted the following:

Left: 315

Left-center: 537

Right-center: 255

Right: 274

So, total left is 852 and right only 529.

--------------------

Next, I looked at which sources were classified as left or left-center:

Left: CNN, Huffington Post, MSNBC, Newsweek, Daily Beast, BLM, Vanity Fair, and Vox amongst others. 

Left-center: ABC, CBS, NBC, BBC, NPR, Yahoo, Bloomberg, Business Insider, NY Times, Timr Magazine, USA today, Washington Post, PBS Newshour, Wikileaks, 

If this website were liberally (left) biased, I would have expected many of these I just listed to be classified bv it as neutral rather than left biased. That list pretty much includes the vats majority of the major well-known mainstream media (MSM) outlets. So, they're essentially calling the MSM liberally biased. If this website were truly liberally biased, I would never expect it to classify the MSM as left biased.

-----------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: Mediabiasfactcheck.com is NOT liberally biased at all. 

Comments
By TimNew - June 2, 2020, 4:49 a.m.
Like Reply

Doesn't seem very scientific.  Surveys show a vast majority of the people working in assorted news outlets lean at least slightly, if not strongly to the left.  It would stand to reason that a strong majority of news outlets would be at least slightly left biased. 

By GunterK - June 2, 2020, 10:45 a.m.
Like Reply

thank you, wxfollower...it looks like you have done a lot of research to make your point. I appreciate it, and I will take it into consideration.

By metmike - June 2, 2020, 3:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

As you know, my long held belief is that fact checkers do a great job almost all the time but I have witnessed enough bias when I did my own fact checking to feel strongly there is bias at most of them at times. For sure at Snopes and I have provided the actual examples.

After all, they are human beings.

However, I have to disagree  with Tim. I think this is very scientific and very convincing data for me. I have nothing, zero data or actual cases to show that this source is biased.  I not only respect Larry's opinion in general but the way he went about it to show this has me believing him............that Mediabiasfactcheck.com is not liberally biased.

By TimNew - June 3, 2020, 3:24 a.m.
Like Reply

re-reading the post in the light of day,  I'd have to agree my initial reaction was a snap judgment and didn't involve an objective view of the method.  Mea Culpa.

By metmike - June 3, 2020, 12:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim!