Where police reform has worked
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - June 5, 2020, 12:15 p.m.

The NYT is liberally biased, hates President Trump and pushes the fake climate crisis constantly..............however, I continue to get morning email updates from them, mostly because they often have wonderful articles that I could not get elsewhere.

If I shut them down because of their liberal bias, my world of information would become less informed.

This particular email they sent me this morning features some outstanding, objective and constructive/positive reporting by them. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/briefing/george-floyd-buffalo-coronavirus-your-friday-briefing.html

June 5, 2020
Author HeadshotBy David Leonhardt
Good morning. Mourners remembered George Floyd. Virus data shows an encouraging trend. Let’s start with a look at police departments that have made changes.

Where police reform has worked

Police recruits at the San Francisco Police Academy in San Francisco.Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
It can often feel like nothing changes with police killings. Gruesome, high-profile cases keep coming — Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, now Manuel Ellis — and the annual number of killings nationwide remains at about 1,100.
In several big cities, however, things have changed. Police departments have adopted new policies, and, while problems remain, the number of shootings and deaths have fallen significantly.
It’s happened in Los Angeles, where fatal police shootings have declined in each of the last four years, down to 12 last year. It’s happened in San Francisco. And it’s happened in Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia and Phoenix, Samuel Sinyangwe, a data scientist and activist, writes for FiveThirtyEight. “Many of these reforms were initiated in response to protests and public outcry over high-profile deaths,” he adds.
The changes often revolve around training officers to de-escalate situations and reduce the amount of force they use. Tougher measures to get rid of violent officers also seem to help. Hiring more police officers sometimes helps as well, research shows. “Overstressed, overtired officers working too many shifts generate more complaints of excessive force,” Vox’s Matthew Yglesias notes.
The most sweeping proposals to emerge in recent days, like defunding the police, are unlikely to attract broad political support. Many Americans feel positively toward the police, as David Byler of The Washington Post points out — although there are large gaps by race.
Still, most Americans also say that the police have a racism problem, and most favor reforms, such as body cameras and outside investigations of misconduct. Drew Linzer of the polling firm Civiqs notes that support for the Black Lives Matter movement surged in recent days to almost 50 percent, “the highest it has ever been in over three years of polling.”
All of which points to some common political ground on police reform. “The problem is not that we lack a playbook for fixing the police,” a former police commissioner in Philadelphia and three other experts write for the Times Opinion section. “We have one. The problem is that we have not successfully followed the one we have.” Barack Obama posted a Twitter thread last night making similar points.
Why hasn’t reform worked in Minneapolis? The police department “failed to set clear criteria on the use of force and de-escalation,” Jamiles Lartey and Simone Weichselbaum of The Marshall Project report. The department also failed to “weed out bad cops” and “continued to use choke holds.”
Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!