China/India
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 1, 2020, 11:24 a.m.

Most wars of today are fought by proxy

However, India and china are too large to have proxy war

It looks as if neither country wants war, but neither side wants to look weak

It i hoped that a solution can be found but so far this could be dangerous to many countries that see china expanding influence 

Even russia is watching and a bit concerned, as to what china does as russia has a long shared border with china

Comments
Re: China/India
0 likes
By metmike - July 1, 2020, 12:09 p.m.
Like Reply

The best thing about your post is that the US is not in the middle of this scuffle.

In the past, our military leaders have felt compelled to get the US involved with any major(or even minor)  global skirmish.

It's in our interest to exert influence on everything we can........they think.

The country with long  history of effecting elections and politics in other countries is not Russia or China........its the US. Maybe that has changed  during the last few years.

By pj - July 1, 2020, 6:08 p.m.
Like Reply

mm: "In the past, our military leaders have felt compelled to get the US involved with any major(or even minor)  global skirmish."

This dispute has been going on for decades, has the US ever been involved?

By metmike - July 1, 2020, 8:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks pj,

You are right the US would probably not send troops  but yes, the US has a policy for that region that it considers vital to our interests and this conflict results in positions/ actions defined by that policy here as well as other classified targets/operations.

The stated altruistic objectives sound great and embrace this as a community effort that includes many other countries..............in practice, historically the US usually has its own self serving interests that go well beyond that,  which is where the classified targets/operations, that would not be shared with you and me come in......but I'm not telling you anything you didn't know already.

Not that its good news to hear about wars and conflicts anywhere, just glad we aren't hearing about us being involved(even though we are in ways that are probably classified) 

https://media.defense.gov/2019/Jul/01/2002152311/-1/-1/1/DEPARTMENT-OF-DEFENSE-INDO-PACIFIC-STRATEGY-REPORT-2019.PDF