Reparations
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 16, 2020, 11:28 p.m.

Do you think a black person with a history of slavery in the family deserves reparations

I don't agree

Comments
Re: Reparations
0 likes
By bear - July 17, 2020, 12:03 a.m.
Like Reply

i have a few problems with this... 

1-if you took all the money in america, and divided it up evenly,... in 10-20 years time, things would be very uneven again.  the people who are rich now would end up rich again.  the people who are poor now would end up poor again.  so in the long run,... it would not change anything.  some people make smart financial decisions on a daily basis.  and some make bad decisions.  

(people like my brother would go right back to running his own business and making good money.  and people like my daughters friends who spend 8 grand a year on beer and cigarettes and can't pay their bills... would end up back in that same position after they have blown thru all that money)

2-you can also see this problem by studying lottery winners.  after 10 years half of them are bankrupt.  because some people just do Not know how to make smart financial decisions.  

3-another reason is because we already give massive amounts of handouts to people who are "disadvantaged".  this takes the form of food stamps, cash assistance, medicaid, housing assistance, etc. etc.  inflation adjusted, this has amounted to about 20 trillion dollars over the last 30 years.  and it has Not ended poverty,  because some people just do not make smart financial decisions.  so we are already paying reparations,... and it does not accomplish what you want it to accomplish.  

4-if you have a baby first, Before you get married, or get a job, and get an education, then it is far more likely you (and your kids) will end up in poverty.  if you get married, and get a job,  and get an education, before you have a baby,  then you have a much better chance of ending up middle class or better.  

5-it will work better if we can convince young people to finish school,  get a job, and get married first.  make sure you do NOT have a baby until after you have done those things.   young people need to learn this simple lesson.  

6-the other thing is to give young people some financial lessons.  

but just giving handouts,  will Not work long term.   

if we do have to give reparations... my ancestors were treated horribly by the catholics 300-500 years ago... so where is my payout?   i want free money that i did not earn.  

By metmike - July 17, 2020, 1:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Wonderful post bear!

Thanks for bringing  it up Wayne.

African Americans need better education opportunities,  jobs and safe neighborhoods to raise children with good parents......including dad.

By metmike - July 17, 2020, 10:57 a.m.
Like Reply

a setback in race relations            

Started by GunterK - July 16, 2020, 2:15 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/56092/

By metmike - July 17, 2020, 5:07 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/56142/

We should try as much as possible to NOT use race and focus on the needs of the poor and less fortunate................if there are more blacks in that population, then it takes care of the race thing without using race.

What makes less sense to me is reparations.

How do you compensate  a successful black man today that had slave parents for numerous generations vs one that is doing poorly?

Why would you compensate that person?

What about mixed race.  What % black do you need to be to get reparations?

The vast majority of blacks here are African Americans that got kidnapped for slavery but not all of them. How do you verify that?

How many people will have documents that prove their great, great, great, great grandaddy was a slave?

A Rising Share of the U.S. Black Population Is Foreign Born

Immigrants Are a Growing Share Among Black Americans … As the Black Immigrant Population Has More than Quadrupled Since 1980A record 3.8 million black immigrants live in the United States today, more than four times the number in 1980, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data. Black immigrants now account for 8.7% of the nation’s black population, nearly triple their share in 1980.

metmike: So then, if we are helping blacks because they are black(outside of reparations), then do we need to help foreign born blacks too? Then why not browns in the same way.

By metmike - July 17, 2020, 5:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Don't forget what we "took" from Mexico 150 years ago. 

Don't Mexican Americans deserve some reparations for the loss of their land?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Cession

Mexican–American War

Main article: Mexican–American War

A map of Mexico, 1835–1846, with separatist movements highlighted

Alta California and Santa Fe de Nuevo México were captured soon after the start of the war and the last resistance there was subdued in January 1847, but Mexico would not accept the loss of territory. Therefore, during 1847, troops from the United States invaded central Mexico and occupied the Mexican capital of Mexico City