mcfarm our farm crop update
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 19, 2020, 3:06 p.m.

During the month of June our crops really took a beating from lack of rain

We finally got 2 plus inches approx 10 days ago. Since then we have had .75 inches and today brought 1/2 inch of rain. We are in the middle of tasseling with some tasseled and some not, according to variety, planting time and drought damage

My wife and my self will go on a crop tour shortly. I expect to see some permanent damage and mostly decent corn

I was really worried as we expanded and my grand son bought a farm with a really modern ranch style house, 40 yrs old, and soil much the same as we farm. We also rented an additional 800 acres which is better soil than ours but the rent is more

Wee will start sweet corn harvest some time late this coming week. My grandson runs the sprayer and has almost 700 acres of sweet corn to spray for bugs, and this yr we will try spraying a new bird repellent product

We estimate that sprayer covers 7000 acres/yr as the sweet corn needs multiple passes, for both early weed control and then bugs and bird damage

Our land including sweet corn covers approx 10 mile radius at the extreme. We have an enclosed van which carriers water, spray material and mixing equipment plus clean out when using different material

We cover all our ground both commercial and sweet corn with 3 tractors

One to plant sweet corn and beans 150 h.p

One to plant commercial 180 hp

One to do spring tillage for everything 360 h.p

Well wish me luck in what I see as we will go on a crop tour. I have never covered everything in one day, so I expect some take out super tonite

Comments
By mcfarm - July 19, 2020, 3:15 p.m.
Like Reply

I do wish you luck Wayne. We have had issues again this year. May ruined most of our April planting, Redid about 2000 acres. It was off to a good start and then the rains started going north or south. Just last week the big one that came across Ill dropped large amounts north and south simoultanesly.....I got Harlyed on 4 sides at once. That was a critical rain to miss. We have had mid 90's and dry. Today a big front is dropping from the NW. As usual its having trouble dropping far enough to help us.