Baseball Trivia for Old Timers
17 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - June 19, 2018, 1:43 p.m.

Who lost a 12 inning no-hitter ?

Who pitched two consecutive no-hitters?

No fair googling !

Comments
By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Gosh, that means that you're probably older then me … and you still can remember!

By metmike - June 19, 2018, 2 p.m.
Like Reply

Now this is an NTR post!

Dang Vandy, you are an old guy! Congrats on seeing that game.

I would have guessed Nolan Ryan(and knew it was wrong) just because he had so many no hitters. 

I was actually at the game when Denny McLain had his 31st win in 1968. My Dad took me there because it was Mickey Mantle's last game at Tiger Stadium in Detroit.

Every body had flocked to be at his 30th win, which got all the coverage because it was the first time(and last)  that a pitcher has won 30 games in something like 30 years, since Dizzy Dean of vandy's cardinals did it.

McLain had a couple more starts left that year and everybody figured he would win at least 32. 

But the dynamic between McLain and Mantle on that day in September 1968 was much more interesting as told by Mickey in this interview:

Mickey Mantle: The Denny McLain Gift Home Run #535

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdl6ABq6E3w

By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 2:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Got another one for you …

What Yankee's World Series consecutive scoreless inning streak was broken by Whitey Ford?

By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 2:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Who pitched two consecutive no-hitters?

If you can't wait any longer, here's a link: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/featsjv.shtml

By metmike - June 19, 2018, 2:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Another good one Carl 

Don Drysdale or Sandy Koufax of the Dodgers? 

By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 2:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Hint … He pitched for the Cincinnati Reds. Interesting fact was that he got the last out in the second game from Leo Durocher.

By metmike - June 19, 2018, 2:51 p.m.
Like Reply

OK, sorry that I misinterpreted the question. Thought you were asking what pitcher broke the consecutive scoreless innings streak in the regular season held by Whitey Ford. 

But you want the pitcher who held it before Whitey Ford and for world series games.

I cheated and looked and would have never guessed it.

By mcfarm - June 19, 2018, 3:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I know Yankee stuff and Babe Ruth held the scoreless streak record that Whitey Ford broke 

also wasn't the reds pitcher vandemeter or vanmeter?

also as old Diz was brought what 2 players hold the record for wins in a season for brothers...hint hint

By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 4:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Who's World Series consecutive scoreless inning streak was broken by Whitey Ford?

Hint … He was a great pitcher, but they thought he would be of more  value hitting. They were right.

By mcfarm - June 19, 2018, 4:25 p.m.
Like Reply

gee carl kind of think I mentioned a fairly good hitter

By carlberky - June 19, 2018, 4:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Right you are, Mc.  Johnny Vander Meer

Here's a link for the brothers, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dean_(baseball)

By beantrader - June 20, 2018, 9:40 a.m.
Like Reply

It was Babe Ruths record BUT he did it as a Red Sox.

By carlberky - June 20, 2018, 11:33 a.m.
Like Reply

Mc," gee carl kind of think I mentioned a fairly good hitter".

You beat my hint post by 10 minutes.

By carlberky - June 20, 2018, 11:58 a.m.
Like Reply

beantrader, you are absolutely correct. In the 1918 World Series Ruth pitched 29 1/3 scoreless innings for the Red Sox.

I knew that Ruth was traded from the Red Sox, but didn't realize that he never pitched for the Yankees.

Will edit the post from:" What Yankee pitcher's World Series … "

to:" Who's World Series  … "

By metmike - June 20, 2018, 12:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Follow up question:

How many hot dogs did Babe Ruth eat during his career?

How many beers did he drink?

Seriously. If the modern era of baseball(162 games) had a Babe Ruth type baseball player(not the hot dog/beer drinking type but the kind that hit as many home runs as entire teams sort to player) can you imagine the numbers?

By carlberky - June 20, 2018, 12:48 p.m.
Like Reply

In Baseball, getting a  hit 3 times out of 10 makes you a multi-millionare. Hitting 2 out of 10 gets you sent down to the minors. 

Tommy Lasorda once said that the difference between a .250 hitter and a .333 hitter is a walk. If the hitter gets 1 hit in 4 ( .250 ) and also gets a walk ( which doesn't count as an at bat ) then he's 1 for 3 ( .333 ).