What will an American carbon tax cost you?
1 response | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 22, 2020, 12:57 p.m.

metmike: Coming with 100% certainty after Biden is elected.

https://www.oilandgas360.com/what-will-an-american-carbon-tax-cost-you/

How much are you willing to spend to save the earth? How about an extra 89 cents per gallon? That’s about how much a nationwide carbon tax would cost every time you stop for a gasoline fill up. Whether or not you think that’s affordable could very well presage how well you’ll adjust to a hypothetical Biden administration.

A carbon tax would be administered at the point of production, where all of the other taxes on a fuel resource are collected: at the mine for coal; at the wellhead or import terminal for oil and gas.  There would be a certain cost per ton of coal, per barrel of oil, and per thousand cubic feet of natural gas. There would be no ephemeral markets trading derivatives upon derivatives. The price would show up at the pump or electricity meter for all consumers on the pure basis of their consumption. The government would not be picking favorites.

Cost of Carbon—The Consumer Version

Let’s calculate the cost of carbon for everyday activities so that you can look at your bills and estimate what the added expense of a carbon tax will be.  Again, at 4.54 pennies per pound, the consumer will face the following carbon taxes for transportation and home heating—with heat content noted—

Consumer Carbon Tax
                                                                         Consumer Carbon Tax HIRS

For electricity, the EPA and the EIA have several websites for calculating greenhouse gas emissions for different electricity generation sources.  Assuming a monthly bill for 2,000 kWh of electricity, a homeowner would have produced 4,420 pounds of carbon dioxide if fueled by coal and 1,840 pounds of carbon dioxide if fueled by natural gas.

Carbon tax per electricity generation source
                                                                           Carbon Tax Per Electricity Generation Source HIRS

Filling up a 15-gallon gasoline tank twice a month under this carbon tax will add $26.70 each month. And the addition to the electricity bill could be as much as $200.49 for those utilities that rely exclusively on coal. 

metmike: Get ready, it IS coming.

Comments
By bear - July 22, 2020, 2:50 p.m.
Like Reply

hey dude,... it won't cost me anything.  i will just pass the cost on to the customer.  i will tell them,  sorry but the price went up because of the new carbon tax.   

i had to give the same explanation 14 years ago, when gas went from 1.50 to 3.50... i said, sorry, but i have to raise my price.  bush's war for oil in iraq is raising the price of gas,  and i have to pass on the cost.  some were not wild about that explanation.  but it  was bluntly honest.  

most libs do not understand, this hurts the working class most.  you will have to pay a higher price for the plumber, or the guy that comes to remove that wild swarm from you shed, etc.  

the guy who replaces your windshield will charge you more.  he still needs that truck to haul those windshields along with him.  

if i charge you more,  then you have less to spend on things like going to the movies, or taking the family out for pizza.  

higher taxes, and inflation hurt the poor the most.  

you aint seen nothing yet.