Detroit July 31, 2020
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 31, 2020, 10:10 a.m.

Driving to Detroit today for a week+ visit with Dad.

Comments
By wglassfo - July 31, 2020, 10:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike

While going coming, going and staying with your Dad [who must be a wonderfully independent person]

Would you take a look at the general economic activity you might see and tell us if Mich draconian lock down measures have any visible effects

Such as mall traffic, for sale or lease signs, closed signs road traffic and anything else you can tell us

We see numbers of all kinds but you may travel the longest distance of any on the forum

What might your impression be if you can see any visible signs that you care to share with us

Even mask useage might be of interest to some

In Canada our biggest CV effect is stores and dining etc that needs large numbers to be economically viable are having an effect on everybody, as this is restricted to small numbers with severe social distancing regulation

We are trying to open up but it seems very slow and some people have a fear of mingling even if they could

My favourite coffee shops are closed. Food meals are all take out which seems to be the most common way to dine out

Lots of closed signs on stores

Parking any place on Main St in town

By metmike - Aug. 1, 2020, 6:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I haven’t noticed much difference in traffic or economic signs compared to previous visits. Tons and tons of trucks, big semis driving thru IN, OH and MI just like usual.

Dad has lived at an assisted living facility for 2 years now. He’s 94. They Only allow visits outside their residents windows. .....so I’m spending the days outside his window and him on the other side.

And we play chess all day!

Seriously.

He has the board and pieces set up on a table and moves his piece, then I tell Him  coordinates of where to move my piece. 

For instance, move the black knight from g8 to f6. Each game lasts 90 minutes or so. 

There are very, very few people his age playing skillful chess!

We do other stuff, like watch Tigers games and pray the rosary and he does the 25 minute exercise routine that I made for him many years ago.

I’ll stay for around 8 hours.

The sad thing is that none of the other residents have even 1 visitor. Before COVID,most of them didn’t get any visitors but now there are none. 

I’ll tell you more this week during my stay.

By wglassfo - Aug. 1, 2020, 7:24 p.m.
Like Reply

We last went to Detroit, not very far, just  past the air port, to a small race shop for racing parts. We were gone just days before the border closed but we had to quarantine on arrival home. So that would be in the early days of the virus fear and lock downs

We did not see very much different from other trips in 2019 and earlier

Normally 1-94 east from the ambassador bridge was very busy and usually came to stop and go traffic for approx 1/2 hr until our speed would gradually pick up. We would try to time our arrival and departure to miss the worst traffic jams on 1-94 East

However, the last time we went to Detroit as mentioned above, there was a distinct lack of passenger traffic at the usual stop and go spot on 1-94. In fact we did not have one bit of stop and go traffic, hardly even slowed down

I assume that might have been a result of the start of work from home, now that I try to think back that long

Other than that everything looked normal but that was a bit early in the virus lock down, as the border was open at that time

I guess I was wondering if the auto industry had any visible effects as new car sales have tanked if you believe the auto reports. That made me wonder if consumer traffic was on the road in Detroit, or if the shopping malls were more or less deserted

I can't imagine NYC bringing CV infected people into nursing homes. That is simply [Words fail me to describe what I think if that was your Dad in that position]

I am sure your Dad really looks forward to your visits and you should have a medal for your support of your Dad. What you are doing isn't always the easiest, to juggle family time, your other activities etc. etc.

Most of us been there done that and know

By 7475 - Aug. 2, 2020, 8:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike

I remember my father playing chess by mail with a former college roommate. 

They would position on graph paper and use coordinates too,I think.

By metmike - Aug. 2, 2020, 11:41 a.m.
Like Reply

That is awesome. I think you mentioned that before here.

Dad and I have played chess over the phone before but a game takes up to 4 hours because he messes up the coordinates I give him enough that we have to spend over half the time re adjusting a piece or 2 that somehow ended up in a strange place.

In person, I can see he struggles with this but can correct it immediately. This is a good new challenge for him vs just moving his pieces and waiting for me to move mine.

I give him my queen to start each game to level the playing field.

He will win close to half of the games still with this handicap but the time will come for me to adjust that.  

When Mom had her massive stroke and was in skilled nursing for 2.5 years, she had the lowest quality of life. Feeding tube in her stomach, diapers, bed sores, couldn't talk, lots of pain, and so on.

I would play videos, show her pictures and talk to her and she understood much of it. 

With Dad, its still lots of fun. I've done dozens of visits in recent years, and its more like a vacation for me.

Besides playing chess yesterday, since Dad was tired, we covered history. He is a history fanatic.

I looked up details about the Louisiana Purchase and the presidents monument in SD and all the presidents in fact and read all the information to him.

We both love it.

As you can tell from me at this site, learning new information about anything is at the top of my list for fun. 

This is the biggest plus that the internet gives us. We can all be educated on any topic...........ANY topic that we choose to learn about........for free!

Most people get into habits of just going to their favorite links/sites and being told the same sort of things from like minded people.  

I am the complete opposite.

You can learn new alot of new stuff and appreciate different ways to look at the same thing.

When it comes down to it, authentic facts and science always rule in that field and a view that contradicts those is just flat out wrong.....however, its the internet that gives us those authentic facts and science so that we can KNOW what it really right and what is wrong and don't have to just believe an authority from the official news releasing gate keeper that often has political motives.

And the internet allows you to uncover the motives of entities with brainwashing schemes. .............................but you have to be a good detective using objectivity.