Exports August 10, 2020
26 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:03 a.m.

Pretty impressive for corn and beans.

The numbers here are the ACTUAL amounts being shipped vs the amounts being sold that we get on Thursday Morning.

The huge/record sales recently in c/s have come from sales for next year and would not affect shipments for a long time. 

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/wa_gr101.txt

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:08 a.m.
Like Reply

USDA announces the following sales of U.S. #soybeans for delivery in 2020/21: 111,000 tonnes to unknown324,000 tonnes to #China  264,000 tonnes to China That's 699,000 tonnes total, some 26 million bushels with 84% to China.

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:09 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

Since Wednesday, sales of #soybeans to #China confirmed by USDA's daily reporting system total 1.362 million tonnes (50 million bushels).

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:11 a.m.
Like Reply

No trade estimates for last week's inspections. Some 140kt #soybeans were inspected for #China, and it was the best overall week for beans since February. #Corn inspections were relatively strong for the week, though #wheat was weak for the date.

10:05 AM · Aug 10, 2020

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:18 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

·

As of July 30, the United States had sold a record 26 million tonnes (986 million bushels) of #corn & #soybeans to export in 2020/21, which begins September 1. The makeup is 58% soy (556 mbu) and 42% corn (430 mbu).

·

To clarify, this is a record end-of-July sales pace for the next marketing year. There are still many more sales that will need to come during 20/21 to have a strong export year. I am pretty sure this is record - could only check back to 1999 - but can't imagine it's not.

Adding to this further..... #China accounts for 52% of the 20/21 #corn sales and 57% of those for #soybeans.

The market becomes somewhat immune to the daily sales - almost accepting them as part of the routine. But this sales pace is extreme and it would be hard to sustain. That is why a lack of daily sales (if realized) should *not* necessarily be viewed as bearish.

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:23 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

These charts drive home *just* how incredible the export sales pace was for U.S. #corn & #soybeans during July. 2020 is in a completely different league than the others. #China played the leading role in all of this.

ImageImage

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:24 a.m.
Like Reply

metmike: The plunging dollar is also making our exports cheaper.

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2020, 11:26 a.m.
Like Reply

9:29 AM · Aug 7, 2020

#China imported 10.09 mmt of #soybeans in July, fractionally topping 2017's record of 10.08 mmt. That brings Jan-July imports to a record 55.1 mmt: +0.4% on 2017 +4.2% on 2018 +17.5% on 2019

ImageImage

By metmike - Aug. 11, 2020, 6:38 p.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

Preliminary data suggests #Brazil exported 10.4 million tonnes of #soybeans in July with 76% to #China. That would top 2018's record of 10.2 mmt if it stands. #Corn exports at 4.2 mmt were well above average but short of 2019's record by at least 30%.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfKG7gFVoAY3TPu?format=jpg&name=medium

By wglassfo - Aug. 12, 2020, 1:35 a.m.
Like Reply

I have been reading a lot of china's crops got destrroyed this growing season

From what I read china plants rice 3 times in a season. The 1st and 2nd both got flooded out. And of coarse they could not plant the 4rd crop because of flooding. i have seen pics with water every where, in rice paddies. If reports of the Tree Gorges Dam possibly failing, even though they are releasing water as fast as possible, this would give some credibility to the flooding problem and how wide spread the flooding might be. Also, officials would not allow pictures to be taken about water soaked, moldy corn in storage

Then you move to the NW corner of china and they have drought which has ruined large acres of corn and wheat. The to top it all off, they have a locust problem in the SE [I think that is the location]

XI threatened provincial govenors to meet their grain quota which seems a bit silly to me. As a farmer I know what weather can do to crops, so what is XI thinking. They did organize efforts to attack the locust problem but that seems a bit hopeless to me. Then army worm attacked any healthy corn plants with pictures of leaf feeding stripping the leaf to shreds I expect wheat would have the same army worm problem but did not see any pics.

China said they have 3 uses for grain.

Human consumption

Animal feed

Industrial use

The human population will get # 1 priority but they are trying to re-build a diminished hog herd, from the effects of the swine disease [what ever it was]

It appears that china has to import grains every yr but this may be a yr for increased imports, no matter what other tensions may be between china and the USA

It looks like SA may not be able to supply china or if they do, then other countries who import from SA will have to come to USA markets for grain

I got most of this info from google over a period of time. What is true or not true I do not know but several sources seem to agree that china had more than the usual grain production problems, in 2020. It seems that flooding is not in dispute given the Three Gorges Dam problems, which would affect rice production. The rest is the best I could find. 

Just another little known thing that will cause some issues. It is estimated Iowa lost 25% of all grain storage capacity, both farm and commercial bin space. I don't know what amount of crop damage occurred during the storm but there might be a problem, finding storage in places further from Iowa. I know there was a lot of crop damage but I think Iowa normally produces 5.5 billion bu of corn. Add in the other places of drought, wind, water damage thus far this yr and it adds up. More than just Iowa was damaged with the storm although Iowa took the brunt of the storm. There will be little to no bin replacement this yr due to a shortage of building materials

Increased demand and less production

Interesting times

By metmike - Aug. 12, 2020, 12:09 p.m.
Like Reply

USDA announces the following sales of U.S. #soybeans for delivery in 2020/21: 258,000 tonnes to #China120,000 tonnes to unknown That is 978,000 tonnes (36 mln bu) of beans confirmed to China so far this week. Total (incl. unknown) is 1.21 mmt (44 mln bu).

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 11:35 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 11:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Massive sales of U.S. #soybeans last week (3.4 mmt). #China bought 1.71 mmt of new crop and unknown bought 873kt. Was China's biggest weekly U.S. soybean purchase (old+new) since Nov. 2016. Colombia and #Mexico were the top buyers of #corn.

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 11:38 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

·

USDA announces the following U.S. export sales: 197,000 tonnes of #soybeans to #China in 2020/21202,000 tonnes of soybeans to unknown for 2020/21110,000 tonnes of #corn to unknown with 30,000 for 2019/20 and 80,000 for 2020/21

By Jim_M - Aug. 13, 2020, 11:50 a.m.
Like Reply

Today's grain rally can't be all about good sales can it?  Especially a day after the  USDA is projecting a record crop.  

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 12:48 p.m.
Like Reply

jim,

It's not just today's sales. 

Sales like this have been going on for numerous weeks now. Record sales...........enough to buy the excess production and then some if they continue. It's been all new crop 2021 sales.

The weather turning dry is helping a bit, even though its late. The market trading great weather for weeks and a record crop for weeks and probably this bearish production report just peaked the bearish production news for quite some time, if not for the season............so traders will not sell if they don't expect even MORE bearish news to push us even lower.

What would be the more bearish news after that report?

Also, the August crop report day marks the Summer lows very frequently during years when the growing conditions were good.

A secondary low hits during harvest, after the late Summer bounce higher.

By cutworm - Aug. 13, 2020, 12:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Talk of up to 10 mil acres of crops destroyed in Iowa; Eric Snodgrass shows satellite image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWimsmGlBpg&feature=emb_rel_end

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 12:52 p.m.
Like Reply

Jim,

Look at the 20/21 sales below. WOW! Especially for beans.

USA had sold nearly 18 million tonnes of #soybeans for 2020/21 as of Aug. 6, which I show narrowly edging 2014 & 2013 as the largest-ever new-crop soy book for the date. #China accounts for 57%. New-crop #cotton & meal sales are Downwards arrow YOY, but all others are up, incl. #corn.

@kannbwx

And it is not just #China unevenly carrying the weight in 2020/21. In 2014, 58% of the new sales as of Aug. 6 were to China. In 2013 that was 73%. That is important because strong sales to other buyers are needed, too. They might buy around 40% of the total, give or take.

By Jim_M - Aug. 13, 2020, 3:06 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes, I noticed the sales, but we all also know that most of that soy went to feeding pigs, which they have what...half as many now.  I don't know....I'm not sold on any long term rally.  

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 4:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Great information cutworm!!!!!

Thanks for sharing it again.

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 4:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

This is what I think too. China crops  this year in many area may be short.

They are buying now to replace the difference. 

I know their southern areas had major flooding earlier this year.

By cutworm - Aug. 13, 2020, 4:54 p.m.
Like Reply
By Jim_M - Aug. 13, 2020, 5:19 p.m.
Like Reply

If it ain't a bean, it's a tater.....or...if it isn't one thing, it's another.  

Thanks for the link to the video.  

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 8:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cutworm!

When I get back home I’ll show you a map of the China precipitation the last 30 days. Too wet in the south, too dry in the north.

They will not be having great yields this year even with the help of the extra CO2.

This is likely why they’ve been buying massive amounts for next year to replace their short crop.

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2020, 1:49 a.m.
Like Reply

China looks like it was  too wet in the Southern growing areas.

There growing area is from around 110-140E and 30-55N.

https://ipad.fas.usda.gov/rssiws/al/crop_production_maps/China/China_Production_Soybean_Web.jpg

https://ipad.fas.usda.gov/rssiws/al/crop_production_maps/China/China_corn.jpg

30 day rains below

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/Precip_Monitoring/Figures/global/n.30day.figb.gif

90 day rains below

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/Precip_Monitoring/Figures/global/n.90day.figb.gif

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2020, 1:23 p.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

USDA announces the sale of 126,000 tonnes of U.S. #soybeans to #China for delivery in 2020/21. That is the 8th consecutive trading day with a soybean sale to China.

8:04 AM · Aug 14, 2020·Twitter

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2020, 5:41 p.m.
Like Reply

DERECHO---MetMike---awaiting your insights--TIA            

10 responses |        

Started by tjc - Aug. 11, 2020, 9:31 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/57424/