Israel and UAE peace
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Aug. 13, 2020, 12:41 p.m.

I find it distinctly note worthy that this forum has no evident interest in Intn'l affairs

Nary a peep any where on the forum

The USA under Trump administration played a key role with Kushner and others in a historic diplomatic agreement between Israel and the UAE

Israel also will stop annexing the west bank or Jordon valley

Israel is now reaching out to Arab friends in the ME instead of sending bombs

There is also, on most days, some thing about tensions with china that we need to be aware of

This forum seems to want to wrap itself in a cocoon of USA interests with no exposure to world events

Sorry folks but the USA is rapidly losing the spot light in world events and some day will play second fiddle to china and russia unless you vote your tribal incumbents out of office and re-invent your country in a vigorous manner

State and local incumbents need their walking papers

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 1:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for bringing it up Wayne!

We can discuss anything that anybody wants to here. I agree that everybody is fixated on what is going on at home.......with the upcoming election and COVID.

Israel and United Arab Emirates Strike Major Diplomatic Agreement

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/us/politics/trump-israel-united-arab-emirates-uae.html

President Trump announced that Israel and the United Arab Emirates would establish “full normalization of relations” and that in exchange Israel would forgo for now “declaring sovereignty” over disputed West Bank territory.

“As a result of this diplomatic breakthrough and at the request of President Trump with the support of the United Arab Emirates, Israel will suspend declaring sovereignty over areas outlined in the President’s Vision for Peace and focus its efforts now on expanding ties with other countries in the Arab and Muslim world,” according to a statement released by the White House and described as a joint declaration of Israel, the U.A.E. and the United States.

If fulfilled, the agreement would make the U.A.E. the third Arab country to establish normal diplomatic relations with Israel after Egypt, which signed a landmark peace agreement in 1979, and Jordan, which signed a treaty in 1994. It could reorder the long stalemate in the region between Israel and its neighbors, potentially leading other Arab nations to follow suit while taking Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s explosive annexation plan off the table at least for the moment.

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2020, 2:13 a.m.
Like Reply

National security adviser says Trump 'should be a front-runner for the Nobel Peace Prize'

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/511878-national-security-adviser-says-trump-should-be-a-front-runner-for

Administration officials hailed Thursday's announcement as historic. Formalized relations between the UAE and Israel bring to the forefront a quiet diplomacy that was building for years between the two countries, collaborating on security and on what is viewed by both countries as an existential threat posed by Iran.

The agreement will halt efforts by Israel to annex territory in the West Bank that was outlined in Trump’s plan for peace between Israelis and Palestinians, according to the White House.

Trump on Thursday said he expects other Arab nations to follow the moves by the UAE.

By GunterK - Aug. 14, 2020, 10:17 a.m.
Like Reply

It looks to me like a great step forward. Of course, the Palestineans don't like it. They will probably escalate their activities

By bear - Aug. 14, 2020, 11:11 a.m.
Like Reply

lets hope this has a real positive effect going forward.  

possibly the trump admin has made real progress in the ME.   

By bear - Aug. 14, 2020, 11:14 a.m.
Like Reply

yes, i do have an interest in international affairs,  but this is a market forum,  so i try to not spend a lot of time talking politics.  

10-15 years ago we used to joke about how this was a political forum,  rather than a market forum.  

By joj - Aug. 14, 2020, 3:15 p.m.
Like Reply

How to make peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians.  I know!  Make a deal with an Arab country that hates Iran too and completely ignore the Palestinians.   Exactly how this will make peace with the Palestinians eludes me.

The plan for years now, and continuing, is for Israel to take sides with the Sunnis against the Shia.  It has nothing to do with the Palestinian conflict.  It is also short sighted in my view on Israel's part (and the US).  The US approval in the Saudi Arabia and much of the Arab Sunni world is single digits and only the lack of democracy makes this scheme workable in the short to medium run.  Iran, on the other hand, has a large portion of it's population (the youth) very favorable to the west and America (maybe 30-35%).  It also is not democratic but if the people of these lands ever get political power this whole thing will blow up in Israel's face (and ours).

By mcfarm - Aug. 14, 2020, 3:24 p.m.
Like Reply

look I am a farmer from rural America and even I know that an enemy who openly admits trying to wipe you off the face of the earth would not be a candidate to have peace talks with........that would be the palestinians