COVID strikes home
19 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 9, 2020, 3:32 p.m.

My son Quinn tested positive 2 days ago, his wife Carrie has the symptoms and got tested this morning. My wife works with her and has had crippling fatigue the past 4 days as well as O2 readings dropping to 90-91 on our home pulsox meter. ...........so I think that she has it too.

My wife, Deb and I just got tested and hopefully we will have the results tomorrow. She has a weak immune system so I worry about her. Mine is overactive.

I put her on (my extra)  steroids, vit D, zinc, vit C and N-acetyl cysteine as a precautionary treatment. Treating early is often the key to success.

I already take steroids and if I have it, will boost them if I get any symptoms as well as taking the other supplements.

I would for sure consider HCQ if the doctor will prescribe it. At the very least, it would treat my lupus like autoimmune disorder and is very safe. 

If we have it, then it will be a good thing(after we recover). Neither of us can get it or transmit it after that.

I have never been worried about it but she does/has. We are in our 60's and she gets sick all the time. 

We would still have to wear masks, following the rules. 

Comments
By 7475 - Sept. 9, 2020, 5:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Whoa Mike!  

I will stay tuned and hope for the best.

By metmike - Sept. 9, 2020, 6:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks John,

I am not worried about it  at all in me,even if I have it.

My immune system should CRUSH IT.

She has a crummy immune system and gets sick every couple of months.

Even so she should be ok.

By metmike - Sept. 9, 2020, 6:12 p.m.
Like Reply

My son said he felt bad....not real bad for around 5 days but already feels better.

He can go back to work at Toyota next Wednesday.

He is 32.

By cutworm - Sept. 9, 2020, 6:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Hoping for a speedy recovery. And be assured of our prayers

By joj - Sept. 9, 2020, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

In spite of the fact that I am a flag burning, dope smoking, baby killing, mask wearing Democrat who hates America, and blindly hates Trump (did I leave out any?)....

I hope that you and your family gets through it all without any great difficulties. 

By mcfarm - Sept. 9, 2020, 7:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Prayers sent for you and yours MM

By hayman - Sept. 9, 2020, 8:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Inevitable that it must run its course through us all eventually. As a scientist meteorologist, you are now in the proverbial eye of this virus hurricane, so to speak. Your nimble proactive chess moves combined with hopefully a milder mutation by now should put a quick checkmate on Covid's King. Bless you and your family, Sir!

By GunterK - Sept. 9, 2020, 8:29 p.m.
Like Reply

sad t hear this. I wish both of you a speedy recovery.

By wglassfo - Sept. 9, 2020, 10:49 p.m.
Like Reply

The whole forum is hoping for a speedy recovery

By metmike - Sept. 9, 2020, 11:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the well wishes. Thanks very much. We don't know anything for sure yet, except my son has had it since late last week and has apparently already mostly recovered.

Test  results should be in on Thursday. 

I actually feel wonderful right now and will be surprised if I can feel this dang good and have COVID at 64.

I have an autoimmune disorder and take prednisone(steroids), so I boosted the dose a bit earlier and that always makes me feel real good(but taking the higher dose all the time increases the many side effects).

Deb is actually feeling a bit better for the first time in 4 days and the low dose of my steroids that I gave her early today should have already helped her get back some energy. 

She also took a pain pill and doesn't do that very often but that is helping her too. 

So all we know for sure is that my 32 year old son had it and felt bad for 5 days and is already feeling better. It seems VERY likely that his 28 year old wife does  have it too, since she is feeling bad.

She was tested today.

My wife works all day with our daughter in law, so if she had it, then my wife probably got it and that would explain why Deb has felt horrible since early Sunday.

I would never in a million years think that I  have it because I feel great, except I've been with Deb since Saturday(she couldn't work this week) and not wearing a mask so based on everything we know about COVID, I should have it too if she does.

I visit my 95 year old Dad again in 3 weeks, so we need for all of this to be over by then.

By TimNew - Sept. 10, 2020, 5:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Good Luck to you and yours.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2020, 7:24 a.m.
Like Reply

Been up all night monitoring debs O2 on our pulsox meter.

She uses a cpap for sleep apnea and you should have readings above 90 preferably closer to 95.

Hers were in the high 80s which is bad news but they bounded back to 95 and even higher when she sat up.

This means its deFinately NOT HER LUNGS or the readings would stay low. It’s clearly a breathing issue and could be related to something other than COVID.

We increase the pressure from 7 to 10 to help her more and her readings were dropping as low as 80 which is dangerously low and scared the crap out of her....who wouldn’t be.

We dialed the machine back down and for the last hour her O2 has been outstanding at 95.

She had a serious breathing issue 2 years ago and it appears to have returned. It might be because of COVID or maybe not.

For certain though her lungs are not affected. If she had compromised lung functioning it would be impossible for her to maintain these highO2 readings for so long.

So maybe it’s not COVID but we need o have the dangerously low O2 readings resolved.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2020, 4:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Still waiting on test results.

My younger son got tested 6 hours after us yesterday(since he had contact with his brother last week) at a different location and his results were in early this morning...............negative. 

My wife is doing much better today(she was a zombie for 4 days and in pain all over) but daughter in law is feeling worse.

My daughter is an occupational therapist that runs a large skilled nursing home chain in Indiana with numerous facilities. I will copy her email below because it was very enlightening.

"Maybe you can schedule a teleheath visit for mom once you get the results back. It wouldn't surprise me if you have it dad even if you feel great. That's how the many of the cases we've seen look, at least lately. As for getting tested prior to going to Michigan. If you have it now, that would be a waste of time. The viral shed is unpredictable and we used the test based strategy to "recover" patients and its no longer recommended because some can test positive for months. You should be fine to go 10 after a positive test as long as you are asymptomatic.  From what our company's lead MD is saying, early studies are showing that the antibodies are no longer present in some patients that have recovered suggesting that the you can't assume you are resistant to getting the virus again at least for any prolonged amount of time. Thanks for the updates and hoping everyone feels better."

metmike: Another thing, COVID hurts people bad with pre existing conditions. Deb had this severe breathing issue that was temporarily fixed 2 years ago with an esophagus stretching and a cpap machine.

If she has COVID it makes sense that it could be affecting this element of her health that is the weakest link in her health chain. If we didn't half a pulsox meter at home, we would not have even known that her O2 was plunging to very dangerously low levels. 

People die from this sort of thing all the time and nobody knows what they really died of. They might attribute it to a heart attack but it was a breathing issue that triggered the heart attack.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2020, 11:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Both of  us came back negative which was increasingly expected after observing the pattern with her low O2 readings.

She is having a very rare constriction in the flow of air coming in. 2 years ago, it took us 5 months to figure out that an esophagus stretching would fix it, along with using a cpap machine at night.

It's back now and if she really did get COVID this is exactly the type of underlying condition that would kill her.

In fact, anything that compromised her lung functioning, like pneumonia, bronchitis or the flu could kill her with this condition unresolved.  Her lungs are great though at the moment so we need to fix the issue in case she gets hit with something that compromising them.

She has to get all new doctors because our new insurance plan is different than the old one and covers NONE of the old doctors. 

Until then, if she has O2 readings that stay in the 80's for extended periods, like last night,  she will need to sleep sitting halfway up in her recliner chair, hooked up to the cpap machine.

My son with the COVID is feeling better for the 2nd day in a row. His wife tested negative but feels horrible. They told her that it may have been too soon to show up on the test.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2020, 11:35 p.m.
Like Reply

I highly recommend getting a pulsox meter to use at home.

Without ours, we could never have had any clue about what Deb's problem was.  They are only around 50 bucks and easy peasy to use at home.

Pulse Oximetry

https://www.healthline.com/health/pulse-oximetry

The purpose of pulse oximetry is to check how well your heart is pumping oxygen through your body.

It may be used to monitor the health of individuals with any type of condition that can affect blood oxygen levels, especially while they’re in the hospital. These conditions include:

There are a number of different common use cases for pulse oximetry, including:

• to assess how well a new lung medication is working
  • to evaluate whether someone needs help breathing
  • to evaluate how helpful a ventilator is
  • to monitor oxygen levels during or after surgical procedures that require sedation
  • to determine how effective supplemental oxygen therapy is, especially when treatment is new
  • to assess someone’s ability to tolerate increased physical activity
  • to evaluate whether someone momentarily stops breathing while sleeping — like in cases of sleep apnea — during a sleep study

Takeaway

Pulse oximetry is a quick, noninvasive, and completely painless test. It comes with no risks aside from potential skin irritation from the adhesive used in some types of probes.

By wglassfo - Sept. 13, 2020, 6:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

Haven't had any updates about your son or if anybody else in your family tested positive

Just reading various comments from the population in general and some scientific studies

1st: Many scientist now think the days of severe lock downs will only temporarily prolong the transmission of the virus. Thus it is unreasonable to expect lock downs to continue until we have an effective, well tested vaccine with no serious side effects. The damage inflicted by lock downs at this time is greater than the risk of infection

Plus the population, in general has had it with masks and lock downs. Most of the population seem to want the economy back to normal. When one looks at the state of California, the list of essential workers is very long. This is the reason why the virus will not go away and lock downs just add to the misery with no long term benefits

I don't suppose you know how your son contacted the virus but, since you are in the eye of the storm, would your son be better off, if lock down was in effect, or would the virus be out there no matter if a lock down. I guess i am asking if your son could have contacted the virus even if we had lock down, considering the essential workers and the essential things your son would have to do, regardless

My reading of the general mood is to open up the economy and the restrictions are mostly political

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2020, 1:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks wayne,

My son and his wife went back to work yesterday after recovering from COViD.

It was rough for several days but no worse than the flu. 

My wife, however, has gotten worse from her condition which causes dangerously low oxygen readings when she sleeps.....even with a cpap machine but also when she lays reclined in her chair.

I got her in with an urgent request from her family doctor to have a procedure that fixed it last time in November 2018....an esophagus stretch.

By wglassfo - Sept. 22, 2020, 3:08 p.m.
Like Reply

If my wife had symptoms similar to your wife. I would also be highly concerned

Very happy your son and wife recovered, although I would not wish that on anybody

Not much I can do other than to say I really hope your wife improves with hospital procedure

The entire forum is hoping everything will turn out okay I am sure

By metmike - Sept. 23, 2020, 2:36 a.m.
Like Reply

I really appreciate that Wayne. 

I was at the hospital with her for that previous post. She had the esophagus stretch which fixed her last time.

We have been checking her oxygen readings all day since returning home. She had some low ones for a short while a few times which bummed us out but they have improved and are the best of the last 2 weeks which gives us hope.