Assimilation
1 response | 1 like
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 10, 2020, 1:26 a.m.

Do you think it is important for people in general to assimilate in the culture and customs of the community or country, people choose to live??. In other words "when in Rome do as the Romans do"

Do you think certain groups of people should be able to speak and write English, observe the customs of the community, and generally assimilate with the community, or is that idea losing importance in todays society

I give an example of the Amish who do things their way

I point out certain areas where a foreign language is predominately spoken

You can think of many examples

Now when I was trucking I was surprised at how many people could not read a map. They relied on verbal direction, thus were inefficient at getting from point A to B in a timely manner, as the Co. I worked for often did not go to the same place maybe once a yr or even no repeat destination

Now reading and writing, you would be surprised at how many can not find work, simply because they can not follow written instructions. Say a warehouse manager who is asked to put such and such in section B at the front 1/2 of the space available. Not too hard but if your reading and comprehension skills are limited then what are your chances of advancement within that organization

If you only speak French in Canada what is the chance you will be a sales person in Ontario for a Co that produces paper products in Quebec, maybe more cheaply than coming from Georgia, USA

What about the people that speak the language of their country they were born in but came to Canada with the entire family to buy a dairy farm. Can mom and Dad from the old country  go buy the weekly groceries

It seems some on the left want an equal chance to improve their life but who is failing in the climb up the ladder when these people don't conform to generally accepted society norms

I don't think it is always somebodies fault, that many fail. Maybe it is their own failure to conform, have some basic education and respect for other people, in the work place

Comments
By GunterK - Sept. 10, 2020, 10:21 p.m.
Like Reply

IMHO, when a person migrates to another country, it should be his duty to assimilate... to master the host country's language, to adjust to its customs.

When I came to the US,  I already had learned the English language.... but before arriving, I had read books about life in the USA... and familiarized myself with what to expect.

Even though I worked and paid taxes from day one, I felt like a 'guest" in this country for many years... the same feeling you have when some one invites you to dinner in their home..., you are grateful, you don't complain, you try to fit in. If there is something you don't quite like, you shut up. 

And what ya know.... as time goes on, you will be "assimilated".

Just the opposite is happening in Europe right now. Europe is being flooded with refugees and illegal aliens from the ME and subsaharan Africa... people who flee from a bad life in their home country.... but they refuse to assimilate... and before you know, there are no-go zones in their host country, where they experience the same misery they supposedly escaped from.

(Of course, not all of them came to Europe to "escape" from something.. some of them just come because of the generous welfare packages they get in Europe)

And there is another reason why they do not assimilate..... their religion demands that they eventually dominate their host country.

Your example of the Amish may not quite fit this discussion. The Amish came at a time when the American continent was an open place, where anyone could grab a peace of land and start an existence. (no wonder, the Native Americans are still angry at the "pale faces" for invading their home)

However, today's USA has now been in existence for a long time, and, as I said, immigrants should feel compelled to assimilate and contribute to US society.They should learn to be fluent in English, and respect and adjust to American customs.

This does not mean that they have to give up the love for their home country, where they grew up. But once in the US, it's time to adjust, to assimilate, and to respect.

If they don't like that, they should go back home, where they came from.