share your thanksgiving observation
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by bear - Dec. 3, 2020, 4:20 p.m.

i have noticed this... this holiday season.

for family members who went to a family gathering...people who are on the right politically are showing much more tolerance.  if you supported biden,  the family republicans may strongly disagree with you,  but they are not going to show a strong hatred for people who are dems in the family.  they are more likely to have the attitude of... i disagree with you but i respect your right to support whomever you choose. 

the family members on the left are much less tolerant.  if a family member voted for pubs, then the dem will express a strong hatred,  not want to go to the family gathering, not even want to talk to other family members. etc.  

many people on the left did not even want to go to family gatherings, they did not even want to be around someone who was a pub.  some of them even openly say... i don't love those other people any more. 

well that was the dynamic in our extended families over thanksgiving. 

maybe some of you had very different experiences.  

such a sad holiday.  

Comments
By mcfarm - Dec. 3, 2020, 5:05 p.m.
Like Reply

exactly bear...we don't have a problem with masks if you think they help or distancing but the lock downs and willy, nilly way they are applied is directly crossways with our constitution and is still applied even during a pandemic

By 7475 - Dec. 3, 2020, 7:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Pretty much ,bear,but not observed in family as much in general'

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2020, 8:43 p.m.
Like Reply

I get along extremely well with the democrats in our Evansville family, which were the ones we saw for Thanksgiving. I mainly just talk politics (and sports) with my son in law. The rest of the family would prefer to not have big discussions on those topics. 

So my wife was mad at me for spending most of the time talking politics with my son in law. He is a democrat but very informed/open minded and reasonable and has some conservative thoughts and I am the same but just not a democrat. He is from Chicago and I'm from Detroit and we both love sports and talking politics.

My 5 siblings, spread out across the globe and I email to each other numerous times each week, some times numerous times/day.

Mainly the  2 liberal siblings have insisted on no politics in our discussions because its upsetting and to keep peace, which is the most important thing and it works well. When politics comes up, the sheet hits the fan because there are 2 that are pretty liberal and 2 that a very conservative.

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2020, 8:55 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm not allowed to bring up climate change in family discussions however. Not with siblings(unless its with the 2 conservatives) and with my Evansville family, several are democrats,  my wife forbids it because it stresses her out and she is a republican.

However, this is worth noting. I know to not bring up climate change but if somebody does, I immediately jump in with the authentic facts and the party that brought it up will sometimes engage in a brief discussion with me. if they disagree, then this might end with them them saying "I don't want to talk about it anymore" and then my wife will be mad at me, even though I didn't even  bring it up.

That is not the case with my son in law as he is smart enough not to discuss climate change because that would be like getting into the ring with Muhammed Ali in his prime (-:

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2020, 10:49 p.m.
Like Reply

On climate change. If I’m some place and somebody brings up this issue based on what they think they know because they read it or heard it, like the major cities along all the coasts will be under water in 8 or 9 years.....exactly what Bernie Sanders has been saying, I will chime in with the facts.....like, “did you know that sea levels are actually only increasing at 1 inch per decade and we aren’t having a climate crisis” 

Usually, there will be an argument or response that works well with other ill informed people.

I always have my iPad with me. Not for this reason but instead of arguing, I just say “here, let me show you the actual data on my IPad”

They suddenly don’t want to talk about it anymore and are never interested in seeing my data. I ask for their email address and offer to send them the authentic data and information.

If they disagree with me, or believe in the fake climate crisis..... don’t want me to send it. Not one time.

If they agree with me or are skeptical, they are interested in seeing more information. Hen I send it to these people, it blows their minds.

The reason for this is people only want to hear about information that confirms what they think they know.

From both sides that’s the case.

People that watch Fox, go there to hear the news told to them/interpreted the way they like to hear it.

Same way for CNN.

They don’t go there to find out the perspectives of people of  opposite party. Thy are conditiond in our world to be that way.

This behavior has also bled over to personal relationships. People only want to hear views that don’t conflict with their belief systems. They want to turn those kind of views off.......just like flipping the channel on their tv or going to their favorite social media source.

If you are a liberal, listening to a conservative relative at thanksgiving give a strong political opinion would be like making them watch Fox News.

Or making a conservative watch CNN.

People are conditioned to surrounding themselves with echo chambers in every realm possible. The news and gatekeepers design everything, intentionally to promote and maximize this. It helps to attract viewers/readers that like having their one sided, biased belief systems constantly reinforced because challenging those beliefs is uncomfortable for most people.

By joj - Dec. 4, 2020, 8:17 a.m.
Like Reply

Believe it or not...  I am the conservative in my family.  :)

By joj - Dec. 4, 2020, 8:26 a.m.
Like Reply

MM. - You mentioned that the oceans are rising 1 inch per decade.

Can you send me one link (not 25) verifying that?  (I will share with my family)

Also, are you assuming that the function is a linear function going forward?  Is it possible that it could accelerate?

tia

By metmike - Dec. 4, 2020, 5:47 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

I will respond shortly, was focused following natural gas and weather earlier and doing a few other items but not ignoring you.

Mike

By metmike - Dec. 5, 2020, 11:37 a.m.
Like Reply

I created this thread to respond to your request joj. Enjoy:

Sea levels increasing            

Started by metmike - Dec. 5, 2020, 11:24 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/62282/