Renter Evictions
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Dec. 14, 2020, 2:21 p.m.

Do you think we can or should do anything about renters being evicted, small biz going Bk etc.

We  can't allow renters to stay rent free as that puts the burden on the land lord

We can't allow millions to be  homeless. Estimates range from 1.5 million to 5 million evictions plus all the small biz BK

I think any future stimulus bill needs to target people not big box or other large Co.s

If people have money,, enough to pay rent, food on the table, that in my opinion touches most of the basic needs, and is what would help any recovery the most

I also think the total amount of any stimulus bill would be much smaller if the people only were targeted for assistance

I know that won't happen, so just let me vent a bit

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 15, 2020, 6:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

These are wonderful points.

Especially with Winter coming on. A warm shelter is much more important than in the Summer.

I don't have statistics on those being affected by this right now but maybe nobody really knows what those numbers are.

By bear - Dec. 16, 2020, 12:24 p.m.
Like Reply

not sure if this is correct,... but the fed ban on evictions applies to those who have federally backed loans on their property.  so, if my rental property is paid off, with No loan on it,  then this ban does not apply.  or if i paid cash for a rental property, or got a regular loan (not federally backed), then the ban does not apply.  

but, there still may be a state or local ban on evictions.  this local ban may apply, even if the fed ban does not apply.

By metmike - Dec. 16, 2020, 1:08 p.m.
Like Reply

thanks for shedding some light on it bear!

By bear - Dec. 17, 2020, 9:18 a.m.
Like Reply

here is another thought for you mr glassfo, 

for people who are hungry, there are lots of ways to get free food in america.  any poor person can get food stamps.  most communities have food banks.  and many churches have a well stocked pantries.  i know of churches,  if you attend, and need food,  all you need to do is ask a deacon,  and they will find you something from the kitchen.  

yes, i realize that some of you may not want to attend religious services,  but remember, many people feel that it is the church's responsibility to help  community members.  a lot of churches are very good at taking care of their members.  

By wglassfo - Dec. 18, 2020, 11:12 a.m.
Like Reply

I remember seeing pics of  long lines of cars 4 abreast waiting for food, this past yr.

I realize this must have ben an extreme situation and not generally across the country

I was struck but the number of expensive SUV's in line, but my banker tells me the family car is the last loan or debt to go in arrears The people told reporters the wait was approx 12 hrs. Another situation had an elderly person waiting in line and relieved himself publicly as he did not want to lose his place in line for food. He was arrested.

No matter, did these people not get food stamps for some reason, or foolishly spend the allotment before the end of the month

AOC was quoted as saying it should not be a crime to steal a loaf of bread if the family was hungry or words to that effect

I know in Canada we have soup kitchens, in good times so I wonder when unemployment is high, what the kitchen looks like. . I also noticed it was mostly men and no families,, as children were in school, pre covid, on the day I attended. We do not have free school meals, but school food can be bought very cheaply

In Hawaii we saw numerous tents clustered together. Nobody worked, the tents were in public parks and joined together with mostly tarps. The children got on a bus and the people appeared to be clean and trouble free. They used public showers on beach front public parks. We were told to not mingle and they would not bother us as we stayed a short distance from them in a rented apartment, with a security fence/wall and security people. I saw no attempt to find free food from those people.

The reason I think about food is some people think commodity prices will inflate and coupled with evictions, then one has no permanent address, for food stamps, so I am asking for information

It seems to me it is possible that food may become more of a problem in the coming yr, but I may be getting ahead of myself