David Weis, Wyckoff Elliot Old School Guru
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by hayman - Dec. 19, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

From his wife Karen,

It is with deep sadness that I give you news of David's passing early this morning, December 17, 2020.

David had endured a nearly six week hospitalization and had overcome a difficult surgery and many setbacks along the way. He was finally stabilizing and plans were being made for his discharge home. My daughter and I had a wonderful visit with him yesterday and were grateful that he would soon be home with us. We were stunned to receive the call from a doctor at 4:30 a.m. that he had died from an unexpected bleed in his airway.

Reading the markets was David's passion and he took great pleasure in sharing his thoughts with you. We miss him desperately. Life will never be the same.

Most sincerely,

Karen Weis       

David Weis is a trader and market analyst with 40 years experience in the futures markets. He started as a broker and analyst for ContiCommodities. Shortly thereafter he enrolled in the Wyckoff Course offered by the Stock Market Institute and became one of its leading practitioners.

Weis later served as the Director of Technical Research for ContiCommodities and wrote its weekly technical market letter. Later he edited the Elliott Wave Commodity Letter which was published by Robert Prechter. After four years, he began his own Technical Forces letter. He currently writes a nightly Stock Market Update based on the interpretation of price/volume behavior.

Weis’s latest book, Trades About To Happen, A Modern Adaptation of the Wyckoff Method (Wiley & Sons), was published in April 2013. This widely acclaimed work is recognized as a major contribution to the field of technical analysis. In it, Richard Wyckoff’s tape reading techniques of a century ago have been modified to fit today’s volatile markets. Weis is co-author of Charting the Stock Market, The Wyckoff Method and the author of a workbook entitled Trading with the Elliott Wave Principle, A Practical Guide.

Weis has devoted much of his time developing charting tools for intraday trading. These involve wave charts and volume along with unique ways of using point & figure charts. They are linked to Wyckoff’s writings. Lastly, Weis mentors traders around the world on his approach to using the Wyckoff method.

https://weisonwyckoff.com/trades-about-to-happen/

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 19, 2020, 1:40 p.m.
Like Reply

So sorry to hear this hayman )-:

RIP David. Condolences to his family and friends.

https://weisonwyckoff.com/about/

David-H

hayman,

I don't have a problem at all with you posting  the page to his book sales since he just passed away and you felt compelled to show this as a tribute to him. 

I personally can't recommend this book. 

However, if you or others have read it and would like to comment, that would be nice. 

By wglassfo - Dec. 19, 2020, 4:39 p.m.
Like Reply

My take away is he was yrs ahead of the machines and their momentum/volume trading platforms. Maybe the early machine soft ware people read his work and then tried to copy his methods

He was a talented person and I hope his wife and family know how much he will be missed on MF and else where

By metmike - Dec. 19, 2020, 6:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I don't remember him every posting here.

At least not in recent years. Does anybody else?

By wglassfo - Dec. 19, 2020, 8:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry Mike

I must have him mistaken for somebody else 

My distant [as in yesterday] memory is porridge

My sincere apology to everybody

By metmike - Dec. 20, 2020, 2:33 a.m.
Like Reply

That ok Wayne,

You were just being a respectful guy.

By ab - Dec. 22, 2020, 5 a.m.
Like Reply

I sure remember the name, and think he maybe did post.??

By hayman - Dec. 22, 2020, 5:46 a.m.
Like Reply

..."ab"... Now there's a pleasant sight for sore eyes!  I remember you as a our grain spread guru at a very formative time of my trading trials.  No idea why Alex seemed to have it out for you, banning frequently for seemingly no apparent reason...

Yes, the forum here was thick with Wyckoff discussion, much of it heated by Susan's constant badgering of the one and only JoeK.  JoeK, along with his broker, Gary I think it was, brought Wyckoff to become a household technical word, both here and especially at Gary's forum.  Whether Weis himself ever posted, not sure, but certainly that was the heyday here for technical tumultuous tirades!  Such a nice Christmas present to be reminded of the downhome, grassroots, good old boy fundamental spread trader "ab".  By none other than the man himself!  Super!

By metmike - Dec. 22, 2020, 12:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Agree hayman, 

It's an early Christmas present to see ab posting here. 

However, I don't every recall ab being warned or in hot water with Alex over posts.

It was 20 post a day Susan(who was a man)  and Joe K that would go at it as you remember but local, who was a personal friend and is the brilliant/witty, high energy Mark Kinoff really disliked Susan too. 

Those were fun days alright, almost 20 years ago. Now there are hundreds of other forums and other places that offer so many things that didn't exist back then.

MarketForum was very unique.

We wouldn't be here if it were not for Alex.

Let's here it for a wonderful man that suddenly passed away back in March 2017.

https://www.marketforum.com/in-memory-of-alex/