Trump throws a monkey wrench into things...
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Dec. 23, 2020, 3:37 p.m.

Can someone explain to me why Trump, after being completely absent from the recent stimulus debate, NOW weighs in with the spit-ball that the package should up the relief checks from $600 to $2000?

Pelosi says thanks and on Christmas Eve will agree by unanimous consent.  I cannot imagine Republicans voting for it.

I’m assuming that this is somehow related to overturning the election since that is his current obsession.  But I don’t see how.  

Anyone know what the heck Trump’s game is?

Comments
By mcfarm - Dec. 23, 2020, 3:45 p.m.
Like Reply

as explained several times Trump is one of the last sane people left in DC. There is no game other than caring for Americans. The debate was over covid relief not sending money all over the world for gender studies. How is he going to do it. Right , draining the swamp is hard yet everyday he tries and gets silly responses like yours for his efforts. Rip all the give aways out this 6000 page piece of crap and do covid relief. Remember that fight over the line item veto the libs all laughed about? This is a prime example of where its needed.

By joj - Dec. 23, 2020, 5:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Mcfarm,

That's a nice little story, but Trump has been completely uninvolved in 7 months of negotiations.  If he actually cared he would have weighed in months ago.  Let alone AFTER it is too late.  Makes no sense at all.  

By wglassfo - Dec. 23, 2020, 6:13 p.m.
Like Reply

If you knew the Dem play book was to make the economy as bad as possible, with Dem mayors and governors shutting down all kinds of business etc with millions out of work, why would you get involved when you know the Dems don't want anything good for the people with Trump's name attached

After the election suddenly the Dems want a stimulus bill

Amazing how that works

So Trump ups the ante for 2000

By joj - Dec. 23, 2020, 6:41 p.m.
Like Reply

My theory on the $2000 stimulus check and Defenses veto, is this is his big F U to McConnell and the rest of the semi-sane GOP for ignoring his delusions of fraud, and disloyalty in his eyes. Thought he’d destroy America on the way out, might just be the GOP. Who’d have thunk it. Trump is now left of Pelosi, Biden, every republican, and the majority of Dems who never saw defense pork they didn’t like. 

Flame on Captain Crazy Pants!!

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 7:02 p.m.
Like Reply

It's been the reaction to this by the MSM (and Trump haters) that's so hilarious and defines them.

Trump was totally embarrassing himself on the never ending, substantive evidence lacking, refusal to concede the election. Shooting himself in the foot/own worst enemy and wrecking his legacy by leaving people remembering him most by this.

All the while, he was very quiet about his position with regards to this COVID package. He never stated a position about the money in these checks. He let the dems and pubs in Congress battle it out. The dems wanted more money, the pubs wanted less money and the MSM and American people were totally on the side of the Dems and more money. 

So they agreed on the lower amount, $600. Really not enough to make any difference for anybody. The MSM really slammed Congress for such a low amount. Dozens of headline stories telling us that this was a ridiculously low amount of money.  

Then, out of nowhere, Trump insists that he wants the checks to be $2,000 and DID NOT threaten to  veto the bill,  because its veto proof.........so that the American people can get more money. This is the amount the dems wanted and what the MSM wanted and more in line with what the American people wanted.

Of course the Dems are thrilled because its exactly what they were asking for.  

One would think that the MSM would also be thrilled. But it's been the 100% opposite in most cases. 

As always, because Trump is for what they wanted before, they have to now,  to twist it so that Trump is doing something bad................by agreeing with what they insisted was needed.

For instance:

1. It's now too late for him to come out in favor of $2,000.

2. He is only doing it to mess things up and delay the checks that Americans desperately need to get revenge for not being elected. 

3. He is only doing it to make himself look good because he really doesn't care at all about Americans.

Funny how, before, when he did good things, he only did them to get elected and they can't use that one anymore. 

It's like they are totally oblivious to the day before this, when they insisted the checks should be much higher than $600.

If Trump came out and said that the MSM were a bunch of reliable professionals, they might have to immedially call themselves fake news (-:

Before Trump:

CNBC:

Mark Cuban on $600 stimulus checks: ‘It’s not enough’ – and experts agree

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/mark-cuban-on-the-600-stimulus-checks-its-not-enough-and-experts-agree.html

Newsweek:

$600 Second Stimulus Checks Still Aren't Enough for Most Americans

https://www.newsweek.com/600-second-stimulus-checks-not-enough-polling-1556614

Independent:

Pelosi bashed for defending new $600 Covid checks as ‘significant’ sum

Critics argue the checks are too little, too late

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/pelosi-stimulus-check-how-much-b1777368.html

After Trump came out with $2,000

CNN/Chris Cuomo:

Cuomo: This is a very bad situation President is creating

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/12/23/donald-trump-relief-bill-cuomo-sot-vpx-cpt.cnn

Trump throws Covid relief bill in doubt by asking Congress to amend it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/politics/trump-coronavirus-relief-bill/index.html

A good thing...............is now a bad thing because Trump asked for it!!!!

If CNN and others were authentic, what they should be doing is getting behind President Trump and shouting from the rooftops like they specialize in..........saying "Congress, listen to President Trump, amend this bill  and give Americans 2,000 ASAP!"

Who cares if Trump was late to the party on this........or even if you want to assign negative, ulterior motives.   For once, why can't they put their hatred of him aside and do what's best for Americans.............and be consistent on a position, when it suddenly means being on the same side as Trump.

By mcfarm - Dec. 23, 2020, 7:28 p.m.
Like Reply

'crazy pants" ohh that's classy. You are so ideological you cannot imagine that some repubs are not conservative and need to go away. So are so crazed with Trump hate you cannot imagine he being the last standing trying to clean up the mess in DC. You are so ate up Trump has ruined you and your ability rationally think and decide what this country is all about. Its independence dude, it freedom, its personal responsibility. All those thing deep in our constitution that are being stripped away.

And you will come running and scream, you cannot really believe these loveable little libs will strip the constitution. Well hell yes, open your ears and just listen to what they promise.

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 7:29 p.m.
Like Reply

And it's not like President Trump was pushing for the lower amount all this time and suddenly reversed his position but even that would be ok, if the last position was the right one for the American people.

That's what matters..........even if Trump is doing it for some other reason. 

This is what the vast majority of Americans want.

And I am not even taking a strong position on the amount that the rebate should be or what the real reason is for Trump to be taking his position on the higher amount. 

My main point is...............look at another example of how the MSM reacts to anything that President Trump does.

Not all of them though:

Trump calls for Congress to amend COVID relief bill

https://nypost.com/2020/12/22/trump-calls-for-congress-to-amend-stimulus-bill/

Democrats throw support behind Trump’s $2,000 stimulus check demand

https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/democrats-back-trumps-2000-stimulus-check-demand/

It could be a Christmas miracle.

Democrats rallied around President Trump’s call for Congress to amend the $900 billion COVID-19 relief bill to increase direct payments to eligible Americans from $600 to $2,000, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested he could call Republican leaders and have them on board as soon as Thursday.

“Mr. President, sign the bill to keep government open! Urge McConnell and McCarthy to agree with the Democratic unanimous consent request for $2,000 direct payments!,” Pelosi wrote on Twitter Wednesday, referring to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

“This can be done by noon on Christmas Eve!,” she said.

Trump called the bipartisan relief bill a “disgrace” on Tuesday night and told congressional lawmakers to amend the bill and “increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000 or $4,000 for a couple,” while suggesting he would torpedo it if the changes weren’t made.

Pelosi (D-Calif.) immediately responded on Twitter: “Let’s do it!”

The coronavirus relief bill, the subject of months of negotiations between party leaders and the White House, was packaged together with a $1.4 trillion measure to keep the government open until September. 

The deadline to avert a government shutdown is Dec. 29.

But the sprawling 5,585-page relief bill is still being prepared by Congress and won’t likely make it to the president’s desk until Thursday or Friday. 

Complicating the matter further is that Trump is expected to leave Washington later Wednesday afternoon to travel to his Florida resort Mar-a-Lago for the holidays.

Republicans, silent on Wednesday about Trump’s surprise video trashing the relief bill, held a conference call in the afternoon.

But Democrats were joyous and dared Republicans to oppose Trump.

“We spent months trying to secure $2000 checks but Republicans blocked it,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted. “Trump needs to sign the bill to help people and keep the government open and we’re glad to pass more aid Americans need.”

Left-wing leaders cheered the news, and said they were ready to get to work on the effort.

“That’s great! I first introduced a bill to provide a $2,000 direct payment with @SenKamalaHarris & @EdMarkey 7 months ago,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) tweeted late Tuesday, also writing, “Let’s do it.”

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 7:41 p.m.
Like Reply

Been listening to CNN and much of the MSM, the dems/Presidents Trumps political enemies tell us how these last few weeks of the Trump presidency will be one of the most dangerous times ever for our country,

Trump, the loose cannon,  is like a wounded animal and will try to maximize damage to get revenge for his loss, its been suggested.

He has been unpredictable before but now...........anything could happen and it could be bad. Really bad.

OMG!

They were right!!!

Trump is actually trying to give Americans $2,000/each in needed COVID relief. 

He is having a total breakdown (-:

Trump is Losing His Mind            

14 responses |          

Started by joj - Dec. 21, 2020, 7:36 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/63116/

By joj - Dec. 23, 2020, 9:10 p.m.
Like Reply

He might as well have come out for Santa Claus.

Cause given his timing it is meaningless.

So MM: Why is he doing this.   Surely you’re not going to say that it is what he actually wants. If he wanted it he should’ve put his political weight behind it even one time in the last seven months. But he did not. So…… What is his reasoning MM?  Or, you just don’t like the question so instead you focus on the media and the reactions. Which is so beside the point.

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 9:23 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

Instead of trying to assign a nefarious or non nefarious motive for Trump's actions.........and we can only speculate, which would end up having 2 extremes...........If your hate Trump=nafarious, If you love Trump=to help Americans....I don't even waste my time speculating. 

Focusing on Trumps motives and assigning nafarious motives has been a huge way for one side to negative things that he's done to help Americans.

Sometimes it was that he was just doing it to get elected but that one can't work here. 

So what is your personal view on how much money Americans should get joj?

CNN and almost everybody told us they thought $600 was too low.

They were not bashing Trump for not coming out before Congress passed the bill and asking "why isn't the president trying to get more money for Americans?"

But when he did come out(late) then, they asked, "Why wasn't the President trying to get more money for Americans earlier?

So coming out now to try to  get $2,000 is being portrayed as WORSE than not having a position.

In other words, having the exact same position that they had all along, but not having it until now..............is bad, according to them. 

The dems are actually doing the right thing here, in my opinion.

They are like...........right on! This is what we have been asking for, we'll take the $2,000.

Instead of "sorry President Trump, you had your chance to give us what we wanted and now we don't want it anymore because its coming from you with a nefarious motive". 

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 9:52 p.m.
Like Reply

And I totally get your point, that he "should have" come out earlier to push for this.

To be honest, I am not sure what his entire motivations are. They could very well include some elements

that are outside the benefits to the American people but it would be very unfair to ASSUME he is entirely motivated by that, especially since what he is asking for IS beneficial to the American people.

Sometimes, when you can't inside of a person's head, if you want to be objective on the issue, you have to just look at the affects of the issue and not dwell entirely on the dynamics of how we got/get there.

I will speculate for fun here:

Trumps top priority the last 7 weeks has been to overturn the election/convince people that fraud caused him to lose. He has been trying to get every republican to support him in this endeavor. He has criticized some from his party for not supporting him doing this. 

During this time, the Dems and Pubs have been having a heated debate over COVID relief package details. The Dems want(ed) the most money, the Pubs wanted the least money for Americans. 

If Trump came out for more money then, against what the majority in his party wanted, he would have been opposed by many republicans.  At a time when his world was revolving around garnering support from republicans to fight for him to overturn the election, this is the LAST thing he wanted to do................even though, there is a really good chance that he sincerely wanted the $2,000.

So he kept quiet on this issue(when Trump being silent on something like this is like............a watch dog not barking when somebody breaks into your house).

Trump wants to go out with people seeing that he wanted to get them $2,000 but I think he wanted this all along but kept silent as long as possible before stating it for the above reason.

What if Trump would have won?

Would he have been for the $2,000.  I think it's likely and he would not have been silent as long. 

People getting $2,000 from Congress(that controls spending) and thinking that its from Trump, is the best thing he could every  ask for. Free money from our president. 

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 10:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Actually joj, I thank you very much for forcing me to think more about this and check some facts to support this strong theory:

Second stimulus check may be ‘larger’ than $1,200, President Trump says

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/07/second-stimulus-check-may-be-larger-than-1200-president-trump-says.html

"President Donald Trump told Fox Business on Wednesday that another round of direct payments to Americans will be included in Congress’ next coronavirus relief package, and it may be even more than $1,200 per American.

“I support actually larger numbers than the Democrats, but it’s got to be done properly,” Trump said. “I want the money getting to people to be larger so they can spend it. I want the money to get there quickly and in a non-complicated fashion.”

metmike: This shows that he has been on the record  for numerous months, pushing for MORE money than the democrats but suddenly got silent.

So its not his desire or motive for Americans to get the $2,000 that we should be questioning here. He clearly wanted it. What we should be asking is...........why was he suddenly silent on this after he lost the election?

It seems clear. 

He did not want to oppose his own party on this issue, if it meant losing even 1 person supporting his election shenanigans. 

So he did let the election results affect his judgment and decision making in this realm. No denying that and we already knew that because of his insane tweets and actions.

In this case, it affected him with a LACK OF ACTIONS. Standing aside from asserting himself and position.............a very unTrumplike behavior.

He did not try to do the opposite of what he believed for personal benefit or do something intentionally to hurt Americans by pushing for a lower amount to get republicans to support him..........he just kept his mouth/opinion closed until now.

I'm sure that somehow, some people will call this defending Trump. 

This is just a strong theory that totally explains it all based on the evidence.

What do you think joj?

By joj - Dec. 23, 2020, 10:02 p.m.
Like Reply

The flaw in your argument is that if Trump had taken this position of the Democrats during the campaign.  Put his political weight behind it.  The media would have a totally different reaction.  Now they can only report negatively on it because he is acting like a clown.  

How should they report on something that has as much chance as Santa coming to town?

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 10:18 p.m.
Like Reply

"The flaw in your argument is that if Trump had taken this position of the Democrats during the campaign."

joj, Thanks because that bolsters my theory. He suddenly got silent on this for several months before the election for the exact same reason. He needed his parties support to get elected and was not going to generate more support(just the opposite) if he opposed them on this issue.

We all know that's how it works in politics.......you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, especially with huge bills of thousands of pages

Regardless of whether you think Trump was employing this or not, republicans were looking for things in the bill and democrats were and they gave each other things the other wanted to get things.

Trump was not contesting the $600, not to get something in the bill that he wanted but because, as everybody knows, the most important thing for him was getting elected.

Trump: I'll stop asking for the much higher COVID amounts(that he was asking for during the Summer) if you'll support me getting elected.......and help me overturn the election afterwards.

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2020, 10:23 p.m.
Like Reply

This guy(who you posted about before) strongly agrees with my theory:

Bolton says Trump is concerned only about his reelection

“When it comes to reelection, his attention span is infinite,” he told Martha Raddatz.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/21/john-bolton-trump-reelection-book-333086

Former national security adviser John Bolton said President Donald Trump's otherwise limited attention span was "infinite" when it came to his reelection, a looming event that shaped almost every decision.

In an interview with Martha Raddatz of ABC News that aired Sunday — days before Bolton's scathing tell-all of his time working for the Trump administration will be released — Bolton said he didn't "see anything where [reelection] wasn't the major factor." 

"A lot of people have complained that he has a short attention span and he doesn't focus," Bolton said. "When it comes to reelection, his attention span is infinite. It's just too bad there wasn't more of that when it came to national security."

By metmike - Dec. 24, 2020, 1:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Chris Cuomo and his guests tonight have their explanation.

Chris claims that President Trump did this to get revenge on Mitch McConnell and the republicans to hurt them as much as he can.

He wants to do as much damage as he can before Biden takes over.

He says that he is doing it "To dump a lump of coal in every Americans stocking for Christmas"

Chris Cuomo is a very pathetic man, always focused on generating as much hate as possible to use against President Trump.

A huge fake in real life.

Refusing to wear a mask in numerous mandatory mask wearing situations(where he ignored warnings by those in charge), as Cuomo insisted that others wear masks.

Pretending to be quarunteed in his basement with COVID, then busted being outside, in public and not even wearing a mask during that time, with his family that got COVID from him and them not wearing a mask either.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/51149/

Prominent messenger of hate exposed            

Started by metmike - Aug. 13, 2019, 1:51 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/36786/

By TimNew - Dec. 24, 2020, 3:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Trump had no input for 7 months?  Actually,   he's had lots, most notably, a few months ago,  he pledged to sign a stand alone bill for specific stimulus targeted to specific groups, including individuals and small business, which has been his priority on all this, all along.

The "Monkey Wrench" has continued from the get-go by Pelosi et.al.. "Never let a crisis go to waste" Dems are using this crisis to insert previously failed dem schemes where they take money from poor americans to give it to rich foreigners in poor countries with the understanding that a decent percentage of it will end up back in their pockets.

By metmike - Dec. 26, 2020, 1:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump doubles down $2,000 coronavirus check demand

Republicans and Democrats both offered mixed reactions to the 11th-hour demand

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-doubles-down-on-last-minute-demand-for-2000-covid-checks

Trump again tweeted his demand for $2,000 checks rather than the $600 proposed in the mammoth spending bill approved by Congress earlier this week.

"Made many calls and had meetings at Trump International in Palm Beach, Florida. Why would politicians not want to give people $2000, rather than only $600? It wasn’t their fault, it was China," the president wrote on Twitter. "Give our people the money!"

Trump and other critics of the bill have deemed the bill 5,500 pages of pork-barrel spending rather than an earnest attempt to help struggling Americans beset by gubernatorial economic lockdowns and the overall drop in commerce ushered in by the pandemic.

"It’s called the Covid relief bill but it has almost nothing to do with Covid," the president said Thursday, going on to point to a provision in the bill that would triple the $600 check for family members of illegal aliens -- to $1,800: "This is far more than the Americans are given," he said.

Libertarians and progressives have also found unusual common ground in their opposition to the legislation. The progressive "Squad" of progressive representatives called for an amendment that provides the $2,000 payments.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., a member of "The Squad" from Boston, expressed such sentiment in a tweet appearing to praise Trump for taking a "hard line in support of what Progressives have been fighting for." But she called the president the "Occupant of the White House" and accused him of trying to "spite Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.