consider option writing
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by greenman - Dec. 25, 2020, 9:27 p.m.

over the last 4 or 5 months i have been doing a lot of option writing.  on stocks .  mostly out of the money straddles on stocks.  tsla. nvda, aapl, msft, nflx, amzn, goog, zoom, ba,3 and others.  i'm using short dated  usually less than a week.  depending on the issue i write puts and calls about 5% out.  usually 80% expire worthless. 

i also sometimes write covered calls.  buying the underlying stock and selling calls about 3% out.  again short dated, 4 or 5 days.  I  do the same with selling puts and shorting the stock.

this strategy is working very well.  occasionally markets move violently  against me i was recently short tsla calls when they were announced they were joining sp 500.   covered my losses that next morning and moved on   since then i have pounded the tesla options selling puts and calls and collecting the premiums on a weekly basis.

i like writing options.  its like i'm an insurance company collecting premiums.  its nice to watch them expire worthless.  

short dated is best because the time premium erodes rapidly.  sometimes i have positions in 5 stocks.  it helps being well capitalized  so you can cover the margin requirements.  

this has been a very profitable few months.  prosperity greenman

Comments
By cutworm - Dec. 26, 2020, 6:14 a.m.
Like Reply

Merry Christmas! Great to hear from you again!

By Jim_M - Dec. 26, 2020, 5:39 p.m.
Like Reply

I sold some options for the first time and have done so over the last couple months.  Mostly successful.  I wish I had done it sooner.  

By TimNew - Dec. 27, 2020, 5:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Writing options is a great vehicle,  but you want to be well capitalized.   The upside is clearly defined and limited while the downside is not.  Have your exit/defense strategies clearly defined.

By sgt.schultz - Dec. 27, 2020, 12:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Tim  I haven't been by this forum for a few yrs. Glad I stopped by today, I have been playing with the option selling and buying on paper and I am liking the results.  My question is are u using a broker or doing it yourself threw an app like Robin Hood or an online brokerage firm. Any help would be appreciated.

By metmike - Dec. 27, 2020, 1:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Great Christmas present/topic for MarketForum's trading section!

Especially wonderful to read from some of our posters that have been quiet for awhile.

Keep it coming!

The Ins and Outs of Selling Options

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/09/selling-options.asp

By metmike - Dec. 27, 2020, 5:52 p.m.
Like Reply

TV meteorologist wxgrant was a frequent poster here for quite awhile..............generously sharing his weather expertise and real time trades.

One of his favorites was selling/writing options:

Moderna(MRNA)            

14 responses |            

Started by wxgrant - June 3, 2020, 4:38 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/53271/

By TimNew - Dec. 27, 2020, 7:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Hiya Sarge Shultz.

I use a broker.  I seldom write options anymore other than very sepcific setups.  I like writing puts on stocks where I am bullish because the worst case of getting assigned on a long term bullish position adds premium.  Stuart (S.A.) Johnstons "Trading options to Win" is my bible.  Known as SAJ here on MF