A first for everything
20 responses | 1 like
Started by TimNew - Jan. 6, 2021, 1:42 p.m.

I've spent the last 4 years cringing almost every time Trump has spoken/tweeted,  but for the most part taking it with a grain of salt, grinning and bearing it overriding my uneasiness with the rationalization that his policies, and the benefits of those policies outweighed the nonsense he often spoke.

His speech today at the "Stop the Steal" ralley can be described as nothing more than the rantings of a madman. As concerning were the throngs cheering each rant.  

Mr Trump,  your time has passed.    Do yourself and the nation a favor and go quietly.  I won't expect you to use your pulpit to try and quell the masses.  I'll just ask that you make it no worse.

Comments
By TimNew - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:11 p.m.
Like Reply

ANd just like that, these idiots have justified the fears of the left for the last 4 years.

By WxFollower - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:21 p.m.
Like Reply

As I said repeatedly, it isn't just that he's a "meanie". As I said, he's downright dangerous. I can hold my head high that I never the least bit ever considered voting for this madman.

This is essentially the equivalent of a coup attempt.

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Pro-Trump protesters overrun Capitol, forcing evacuation

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/532951-pro-trump-protestors-overrun-capitol-forcing-evacuation

A chaotic and violent scene unfolded at the Capitol on Wednesday as supporters of President Trump swarmed the building, forcing a lockdown and various confrontations with police.

Vice President Pence and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the Senate president pro tempore, were taken from the Senate chamber after protesters entered the Capitol to protest as a joint session of Congress convened to certify President-elect Joe Biden's win.

The House and Senate gaveled out of their debates on the Electoral College results as footage showed protesters breaching security and entering the building.

The doors of the House chamber were locked for safety purposes, and police later worked to evacuate lawmakers.

Lawmakers and some former White House officials urged President Trump to condemn the violence erupting on the Capitol grounds, after Trump spoke earlier in the day seeking to rally supporters to protest the election.

"Condemn this now, @realDonaldTrump - you are the only one they will listen to. For our country!" tweeted former White House communications director Alyssa Farah.

"The President's tweet is not enough. He can stop this now and needs to do exactly that. Tell these folks to go home," tweeted former White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

Trump had tweeted earlier Wednesday afternoon urging supporters to "stay peaceful" and support law enforcement without expressly condemning those using force to enter the Capitol building.

The president tweeted again 35 minutes later to condemn violence.

"I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!" he wrote.

Lawmakers, staff and reporters were being moved from the Capitol building Wednesday afternoon as scores of demonstrators forcefully entered the building and clashed with police.

Those in the House chamber were given gas masks amid reports that police may use tear gas in an effort to clear the area outside the chamber. Images shared by reporters inside the chamber showed doors to the room barricaded and several law enforcement officers with guns drawn. 

Several lawmakers tweeted that they were sheltering in place in their offices as the scene unfolded. Police earlier had evacuated several buildings including the Library of Congress's Madison Building across from the Capitol and the Cannon House office building.

Police issued a warning to Capitol Hill staffers, urging those in the Cannon House building to "take visitors, escape hoods, and Go Kits" and report to a tunnel connected to a nearby building. 

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:37 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:42 p.m.
Like Reply

previous thread on this:

DC braces for pro-Trump protests            

7 responses |           

Started by metmike - Jan. 4, 2021, 1:37 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/63725/

"I like that narrative "stop the steal"'

"Yep, stop the steal.......... of the intelligence of those that are being brainwashed to think that Biden didn't win the election with legit/legal votes!"

By WxFollower - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:51 p.m.
Like Reply

25th amendment needs to be considered:

"Section 4: Declaration by vice president and principal officers

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

By mcfarm - Jan. 6, 2021, 3:58 p.m.
Like Reply

give me oxygen "this is essentially a coup attempt"......well Larry maybe you missed this somehow but we had a coup attempt when Trump took office....just going to pretend that did not happen I suppose

By WxFollower - Jan. 6, 2021, 4:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Great speech by Biden!

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 4:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Inauguration 2021: What happens on the day Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are sworn in?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55419244

The new President Biden will be sworn in 2 weeks from today. President Trump has been in office for 206 weeks now. What would be the point of removing him from office with days to go, when the American people voted legally to do that last November?

If you think that removing him before then would calm the chaos, think again. It would massively amplify it!!! It would be the worst thing possible. 

These people driven by rage is entirely the result of them being convinced that the election was stolen from their president and he is being replaced because of fraud and his enemies. They think the American people voted for him.

They are furious about something that never happened(stealing the election to remove him from office). Imagine how outraged they would be over something that really did happen............his removal from office with a few days left before his term ran out.

Not only would this greatly inflame the situation, it would completely justify their belief that nefarious people out to get Donald Trump have all the control, rigged the election and still couldn't wait a few more days to get him out.

There was plenty of nafarious activity to remove Trump the last 4 years......but the election is absolutely not one of them.

These people are unable to distinguish between the people controlling the Mueller investigation (top level bureaucrats with unlimited power) who were corrupt and the people running our elections that were  honest,  patriotic citizens devoting their time to the democratic process. 

The reason that they are confused is because their brains were captured by Trump and those supporting this nonsense for political gain. 

Yesterday, I made several statements in a post that I quickly removed after rereading them. It hit me, like WOW! This was totally inspired by anger with Donald Trump and I was expressing personal hatred for him!

It's impossible not to feel that way sometimes.

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 4:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Larry! Here is the speech.

Biden calls on Trump supporters to 'pull back,' urges decency

President-elect Joe Biden spoke live on national television Wednesday after Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/biden-addresses-washington-protests/507-1a2d8d48-9608-44d8-8821-1a7ba9d3c892

President-elect Joe Biden called Wednesday for the restoration of “just simple decency” as a mob incited by his predecessor stormed the U.S. Capitol and delayed Congress from certifying the results of November's election in which Biden won the White House.                                                                Biden had planned to deliver a speech focused on how to revive an economy and provide financial relief for small business owners reeling from the coronavirus pandemic from his native Delaware.            

But shortly before he was to begin speaking, demonstrators broke into the capital, reaching as far as the House floor. The building was locked down and police with guns drawn moved in as Vice President Mike Pence and lawmakers were evacuated to secure locations. National Guard troops were deployed and a citywide curfew called for shortly after dusk, as rioters continued to occupy the capital for hours.                                                                

“At this hour our democracy is under unprecedented assault unlike anything we've seen in modern times,” Biden said, adding that what unfolded was, “an assault on the rule of law like few times we have ever seen it.”                                                                

He said the uprising bordered on sedition, adding, "The scenes of chaos at the capitol do not reflect a true America, do not represent who we are.”                                                                

“I call on this mob to pull back and allow democracy to go forward,” Biden said. “At their best the words of a president can inspire, at their worst they can incite.”                                                                

Biden also called on Trump to “go on national television now” to “demand an end to this siege."                                                                

A joint session of Congress had convened to certified Biden’s election victory. But as that was occurring, Trump addressed thousands of demonstrators who had amassed outside the Capitol to cheer his baseless claims of voter fraud and to protest the results of a free and fair election simply because the candidate they support lost it.                                                               

Trump's supporters moved on to besiege the Capitol — leading to unsettling scenes of chaos and violence unseen in Washington for decades.                                                                

Biden's speech was delayed by more than an hour as the president-elect and aides tore up his scheduled remarks and worked to craft a new statement addressing the scene in the nation's capital. There didn't appear to be additional security around Biden, but, as the president-elect huddled backstage, agents on his U.S. Secret Service detail stood in their places in front of a stage at a theater in downtown Wilmington, with featured four American flags, for more than hour.                                                           

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 4:43 p.m.
Like Reply

President Trump tells supporters to 'go home' after violent clashes at Capitol

In a video message shared on Twitter, President Trump told his supporters to go home and that there needs to be "peace" after they stormed the U.S. Capitol.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/biden-addresses-washington-protests/507-1a2d8d48-9608-44d8-8821-1a7ba9d3c892

WASHINGTON — Hours after his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol building and violently clashed with police, President Donald Trump told supporters to "go home" so that there can be peace. 

In a video message shared on his Twitter account, Trump begins by again sharing baseless claims that the election was "stolen" from him and he won in a landslide.                

The president then pivots to telling his supporters that "we have to have peace, we have to have law and order, we have to respect our great people in law and order. We don't want anybody hurt."                                                                

Trump at a rally earlier in the day encouraged his supporters to head to the Capitol. 

"There's never been a time like this where such a thing happened where they could take it away from all of us -- from me, from you, from our country. This was a fraudulent election, but we can't play into the hands of the se people. We have to have peace. So, go home. We love you. You're very special. You've seen what happens. You see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil. I know how you feel. But go home and go home in peace," Trump said. 

Trump previously tweeted to his supporters to “stay peaceful” after they stormed the Capitol.         “Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement,” Trump tweeted Wednesday afternoon, after tear gas was deployed in the locked-down Capitol. “They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!”                                                                

Vice President Pence, who was in the Capitol when the building was breached, tweeted that the "violence and destruction taking place at the US Capitol Must Stop and it Must Stop Now."                                                                

“We’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them,” Trump said during the noontime rally.                                                                

President Trump's supporters violently clashed with law enforcement Wednesday, sending the U.S. Capitol into chaos, locking the building down and halting the vote to certify Joe Biden’s presidential victory.

By joj - Jan. 6, 2021, 5:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Kudos to Tim New calling out the wrong among his fellow Trump supporters.  Latest news I heard reported that those that forced entry did so by employing chemical irritants on the security personnel.  

I think Trump has the Lion's share of responsibility here.   If his rhetoric isn't incitement, it is certainly inviting the question.

The BLM protests that resulted in violence is also to be condemned, no ifs, ands or buts. The only distinction being Biden's unequivocal condemnation.  

I think this will blow over, though the underlying split in America remains.

The GOP party split seems self evident.

I believe the Democrats will soon enough experience the chasm between the left and the moderate.  

By GunterK - Jan. 6, 2021, 6:03 p.m.
Like Reply

The news of these protests is all over the world (just saw the reports in Europe)

If they had done peaceful protests, the world would have paid attention to what they had to say. Now, they are just hooligans, not much different from the BLM/antifa mob

By mcfarm - Jan. 6, 2021, 6:08 p.m.
Like Reply

this is not to excuse any bad behavior today but just to give a fuller story that you will not find on the msn. According to an eyewitness on our local radio show the trigger was police firing rubber bullets into a peaceful crowd. Now if that is true this could be Kent State all over again.....except the media will never tell it that way....and we may never know

By 7475 - Jan. 6, 2021, 6:59 p.m.
Like Reply

People just dont know when to stop-and that goes for both sides.

3yrs harrasment/impeacchment/investigation-$40 million or so.

C'mon grow up

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 8:04 p.m.
Like Reply

"If they had done peaceful protests, the world would have paid attention to what they had to say"

Gunter,

You are stating that out of believing the same thing that these people believe. Everybody has the right to protest peacefully, even if its about something they are completely wrong about.

One huge reason to protest is to draw attention to a perceived injustice. 

All the authentic facts tell us that this election was legit. It was the most scrutinized in history. More investigations and allegations than ever before by a wide margin that the legit evidence , not once showed fraud that would have been necessary to steal the election in 1 state, let alone numerous states.

Georgia was at the epi center of it all. 3 hand recounts, all of them confirming the same original count by the machines..............which worked pretty dang good overall, despite what we've been told by one side.

Ironically, the people objecting to this most, objecting to the way electoral votes are being cast and how this last election was handled in some states to manipulate the electoral votes supposedly, are totally shooting themselves in the foot(A very Trumpian way to act).

Are they not aware that the only reason that Trump won in 2016 was because of this very electoral college system?

Clinton received 2.8 million more votes than Trump did............but the electoral college voting system allowed Trump to win.

The only reason that he had a snowball's chance in H this year was because of it. Yet this is the very system that they are screaming is corrupted. Biden won the popular vote by over 7 million. Republicans should be focusing their energy on defending the current electoral college system, not trying to use a strategy that suggests it was used for corruption.

All their allegations..........every single one are the result of claims that corruption in 6 states, took place to manipulate the current system, the electoral college.

If we used the popular vote, then every allegation goes away. So what if Biden cheated and stole a million votes in GA, PA, MI, WI, NV and AZ(he didn't). None of it would matter. He still would have won by a very wide margin.

These people are actually making a very strong case..............TO GET RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE SYSTEM and use the popular vote.

If they were right(they aren't) then we should go to using the popular vote.

In that case, then  so what if Biden won Georgia by 12,000 votes. Trump still gets all the other votes, not 0.  So what if Biden wins NV or AZ by slim margins. Trump gets all the other votes and not 0.

You can't have your cake and eat it too here.

If you live by the electoral college rules, like in 2016...............you die by them too when your person loses by a small margin in key states.

Go ahead and blow up the confidence that we have in the  electoral college voting for presidential elections, republicans. There would never be another republican president again if that happened.

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 8:06 p.m.
Like Reply

The 2020 Election by the Numbers

https://www.cfr.org/blog/2020-election-numbers

So did Biden win comfortably? Yes, if you go by the popular vote. In the past six presidential elections, only Barack Obama in 2008 won by a larger total vote margin than the 7,060,140-vote margin that Biden piled up. Likewise, Biden’s 4.5 percentage point lead is the largest win in the past six elections other than Obama’s seven-point win in 2008.

By joj - Jan. 6, 2021, 8:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Getting rid of the electoral college will NEVER happen.  Why would a majority of states vote in favor of relinquishing their power?

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 8:23 p.m.
Like Reply

You are probably right joj and I'm not trying to make a case for that.

Only saying that this would be a cure for the fraud that these people claim happened.

They are in essence, biting the hand that feeds them.

By metmike - Jan. 6, 2021, 9:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Woman shot inside Capitol dies

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/533007-woman-shot-inside-capitol-dies-report

An unnamed woman shot on Capitol grounds during the violent pro-Trump riot Wednesday has died, a D.C. Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson confirmed to The Hill.Police had confirmed earlier Wednesday that one person was shot at the Capitol as a pro-Trump mob swarmed the building. Officials did not provide additional information but said the incident would be investigated. NPR reported Wednesday evening that the woman was shot by a senior Capitol Police officer. A law enforcement source told the outlet that the woman was unarmed.The woman was reportedly shot in the chest and was in critical condition when she was taken away from the Capitol. D.C. police told The Hill that additional information was not yet available. 

Capitol breached by pro-Trump mob during 'failed insurrection,' woman shot inside dies

This comes as the Senate met about the election.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/capitol-breached-protesters/story?id=75081629