Penalties to Trump
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 7, 2021, 3:54 p.m.

            I decided to start a new thread on this topic.

Schumer calls for 25th Amendment to be invoked after Capitol riots

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/533124-schumer-calls-for-25th-amendment-to-be-invoked-after-capitol-riots


“What happened at the U.S. Capitol yesterday was an insurrection against the United States, incited by the president. This president should not hold office one day longer," Schumer said in a statement. 

“The quickest and most effective way — it can be done today — to remove this president from office would be for the Vice President to immediately invoke the 25th amendment. If the Vice President and the Cabinet refuse to stand up, Congress should reconvene to impeach the president," he added. 

Talk of invoking the 25th Amendment has spiked since Wednesday, when rioters overran the Capitol, breaching both the House and Senate chambers and suspending the counting of President-elect Joe Biden's Electoral College win for hours. Congress reconvened on Wednesday night and formally finished tallying the win early Thursday morning. 

Schumer is the highest-ranking Democrat to throw his support behind removing Trump from office with roughly two weeks left in his administration. Democratic lawmakers, outside groups and even GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) have thrown their support behind the idea. 

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is holding a press conference on Thursday afternoon, has not weighed in on removing Trump through the 25th Amendment in the wake of Wednesday's violence. 

Pelosi previously backed legislation last year that would create a panel to gauge a president's capacity to perform the job — and potentially remove the commander in chief from office. 

Several House Democrats have backed either invoking the 25th Amendment or impeaching Trump in the wake of Wednesday's riots. 

Top members of Schumer's leadership team have also backed removing Trump, while acknowledging that Senate Republicans might not support impeachment with less than two weeks to go. 

"The most immediate way to ensure the President is prevented from causing further harm in coming days is to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove him from office. As history watches, I urge Vice President Pence and the President’s cabinet to put country before party and act," Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), the No. 3 Senate Democrat, said in a statement early Thursday morning. 

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Schumer's No. 2, told reporters on Thursday that he thought Trump's actions warranted impeachment. 

       

"He certainly deserves it…after what happened yesterday he should be removed from office but I don’t believe there’s a stomach for it on the Republican side and there’s very little time left," Durbin said. 

A source confirmed to The Hill on Wednesday night that administration officials have started discussing the possibility of invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office, an extraordinary step that would require a majority of Cabinet officials plus Vice President Pence to declare to Congress that Trump is unable to fulfill his duties as president.  "

metmike: We can quickly decide whether this is a good idea or not by asking questions.

1. Would this help heal the divide that exists right now between the 2 parties or make it worse?

2. Would this reassure people who are worried about the election results or make them more concerned?

3. Would doing this cause Trump supporters to calm down or would it add fuel to the fire and really enrage them?

4. Would not doing this result in more violent protests that we must avoid or would doing this increase the chances of more violent protesting.

5. Is Trump going to be president for another year or will he be replaced in  less than 2 weeks, legally based on Americans voting. 

6. Should we let the election results of the people determine when Trump goes, or should we let his enemies decide.

This is no defense of Trumps despicable behavior, just some obviously questions/answers that tell us whether Trump should be removed from office days before his term runs out.

                    

Facebook blocks Trump 'at least until transition complete'

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55569604

Donald Trump has been suspended from his Facebook account for at least two weeks - and possibly indefinitely.

It means the president will be unable to post on Facebook and Instagram until after the transition of power to Joe Biden on 20 January. 

The social network had originally imposed a 24-hour ban after his supporters attacked the US Capitol.

Facebook's chief Mark Zuckerberg wrote that the risks of allowing Mr Trump to post "are simply too great".

In a video posted to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, Mr Trump told the rioters attacking the seat of government "I love you" before telling them to go home. He also repeated false claims about election fraud. 

The largest social networks each took action against the president's accounts in the wake of the violence.

Mr Zuckerberg said Facebook had removed the president's posts "because we judged that their effect - and likely their intent - would be to provoke further violence".

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original post on Facebook

He said it was clear Mr Trump intended to undermine the transfer of power to President-elect Joe Biden.

"Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete," he wrote.

Twitter ban

Mr Trump's favoured platform, Twitter, had also suspended the president for 12 hours.

It said it required the removal of three tweets for "severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy".

The company said the president's account would remain locked for good if the tweets were not removed. 

It went on to say that "Future violations of the Twitter Rules... will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account".

Trump noticesimage copyrightTwitter

The 12-hour timer on Mr Trump's account has expired, but he has not yet tweeted again.

But his account now states that three of his tweets are "no longer available because [they] violated" its rules.

The platform only uses this specific notice in cases when account holders have deleted the post themselves.

This indicates that Mr Trump or one of his associates has taken the action demanded to get the account restored.

When asked whether it had extended its original 12-hour block, a spokeswoman for Twitter said: "We're continuing to evaluate the situation in real-time, including examining activity on the ground and statements made off Twitter. We will keep the public informed, including if further escalation in our enforcement approach is necessary."

'I totally disagree'

Dan Scavino, White House director of social media, has used his own account to publish a statement on the President's behalf.

"Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th," it quoted Mr Trump as saying.

"I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

Snapchat also stopped Mr Trump from creating new posts, but did not say if or when it would end the ban. YouTube also removed the video. 

His supporters stormed the seat of US governmentand clashed with police, leading to the death of one woman.

The violence brought to a halt congressional debate over Democrat Joe Biden's election win.

In the House and Senate chambers, Republicans were challenging the certification of November's election results.

      


Trump promises 'orderly transition' after Congress confirms Biden's presidency

    

Trump said in a statement that there "will be an orderly transition on January 20th.”

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/trump-says-orderly-transition-to-biden/507-eea49224-39f5-40b6-a194-9783f734cbea

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump for the first time acknowledged his defeat in the Nov. 3 election and announced there would be an “orderly transition on January 20th” after Congress concluded the electoral vote count early Thursday certifying President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

                                                                

Trump's acknowledgment came after a day of chaos and destruction on Capitol Hill when his supporters stormed the Capitol, forced members into hiding and halted the formal congressional tally for more than six hours.

                                                                    

                                

                    

“Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th,” Trump said in a statement posted to Twitter by his social media director. Trump's personal Twitter account had been locked by the social media company for posting messages that appeared to justify the assault on the seat of the nation’s democracy.

                                                                

RELATED: Congress confirms Joe Biden wins presidency

                                                                

RELATED: World leaders appalled by US Capitol rioting, urge peaceful transfer to Biden

                                                                

Trump added, “While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!” 

                                                                                                                

                                                    

Trump on Wednesday had encouraged his supporters to march on the Capitol to protest lawmakers’ actions and later appeared to excuse the violent occupation of the Capitol by the mob, which forced its way inside, clashed with police and ransacked offices.

                                 

Authorities said four people died during the violence. One woman was shot by an officer outside the House chamber, and three others died in “medical emergencies” during the occupation of the building, Washington, D.C., police said.

                                                    

“These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long,” Trump wrote in a message that was later deleted by Twitter. He added, “Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!”

                           RELATED: Twitter locks President Trump's account for 1st time, threatens permanent suspension

   


Comments
By metmike - Jan. 7, 2021, 3:55 p.m.
Like Reply

Facebook blocks Trump 'at least until transition complete'

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55569604

Donald Trump has been suspended from his Facebook account for at least two weeks - and possibly indefinitely.

It means the president will be unable to post on Facebook and Instagram until after the transition of power to Joe Biden on 20 January. 

The social network had originally imposed a 24-hour ban after his supporters attacked the US Capitol.

Facebook's chief Mark Zuckerberg wrote that the risks of allowing Mr Trump to post "are simply too great".

In a video posted to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, Mr Trump told the rioters attacking the seat of government "I love you" before telling them to go home. He also repeated false claims about election fraud. 

The largest social networks each took action against the president's accounts in the wake of the violence.

Mr Zuckerberg said Facebook had removed the president's posts "because we judged that their effect - and likely their intent - would be to provoke further violence".

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original post on Facebook

He said it was clear Mr Trump intended to undermine the transfer of power to President-elect Joe Biden.

"Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete," he wrote.

Twitter ban

Mr Trump's favoured platform, Twitter, had also suspended the president for 12 hours.

It said it required the removal of three tweets for "severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy".

The company said the president's account would remain locked for good if the tweets were not removed. 

It went on to say that "Future violations of the Twitter Rules... will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account".

Trump noticesimage copyrightTwitter

The 12-hour timer on Mr Trump's account has expired, but he has not yet tweeted again.

But his account now states that three of his tweets are "no longer available because [they] violated" its rules.

The platform only uses this specific notice in cases when account holders have deleted the post themselves.

This indicates that Mr Trump or one of his associates has taken the action demanded to get the account restored.

When asked whether it had extended its original 12-hour block, a spokeswoman for Twitter said: "We're continuing to evaluate the situation in real-time, including examining activity on the ground and statements made off Twitter. We will keep the public informed, including if further escalation in our enforcement approach is necessary."

'I totally disagree'

Dan Scavino, White House director of social media, has used his own account to publish a statement on the President's behalf.

"Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th," it quoted Mr Trump as saying.

"I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

Snapchat also stopped Mr Trump from creating new posts, but did not say if or when it would end the ban. YouTube also removed the video. 

His supporters stormed the seat of US governmentand clashed with police, leading to the death of one woman.

The violence brought to a halt congressional debate over Democrat Joe Biden's election win.

In the House and Senate chambers, Republicans were challenging the certification of November's election results.

      


By metmike - Jan. 7, 2021, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump promises 'orderly transition' after Congress confirms Biden's presidency

    

Trump said in a statement that there "will be an orderly transition on January 20th.”

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/trump-says-orderly-transition-to-biden/507-eea49224-39f5-40b6-a194-9783f734cbea

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump for the first time acknowledged his defeat in the Nov. 3 election and announced there would be an “orderly transition on January 20th” after Congress concluded the electoral vote count early Thursday certifying President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

                                                                

Trump's acknowledgment came after a day of chaos and destruction on Capitol Hill when his supporters stormed the Capitol, forced members into hiding and halted the formal congressional tally for more than six hours.

                                                                    

                                

                    

“Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th,” Trump said in a statement posted to Twitter by his social media director. Trump's personal Twitter account had been locked by the social media company for posting messages that appeared to justify the assault on the seat of the nation’s democracy.

                                                                

RELATED: Congress confirms Joe Biden wins presidency

                                                                

RELATED: World leaders appalled by US Capitol rioting, urge peaceful transfer to Biden

                                                                

Trump added, “While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!” 

                                                                                                                

                                                    

Trump on Wednesday had encouraged his supporters to march on the Capitol to protest lawmakers’ actions and later appeared to excuse the violent occupation of the Capitol by the mob, which forced its way inside, clashed with police and ransacked offices.

                                 

Authorities said four people died during the violence. One woman was shot by an officer outside the House chamber, and three others died in “medical emergencies” during the occupation of the building, Washington, D.C., police said.

                                                    

“These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long,” Trump wrote in a message that was later deleted by Twitter. He added, “Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!”

                           RELATED: Twitter locks President Trump's account for 1st time, threatens permanent suspension