One good thing to come out of this riot.....
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Jan. 8, 2021, noon

We finally got the left to admit that rioting is bad..  I suppose it's far too much to expect them to apply the same standards to BLM and ANTIFA.   Much like they have seperate standards for KKK,  even the maligned Proud Boys vs. ANTIFA and BLM.  You'd think by now,  I'd get used to that sort of thing.. (KKK BAD!!!/ANTIFA GOOD!!!).

But I had to chuckle to myself as I tried to imagine the left's reaction to someone claiming the DC action was "mostly peaceful".  I mean,  the argument could certainly be made with at least as much justification as we heard all last year while reporters made that claim with a backdrop of burning buildings and cars.    Many thousands showed up for the "Stop the Steal" rally and only hundreds became violent rioters.

But even if you agree with the cause, you know the "Mostly Peaceful" claim would be, at best, laughable.

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 8, 2021, 3:33 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't know about that Tim.

The descriptions that I read yesterday seemed to be describing the Summer riots as not riots, just good people demonstrating, who were being beat up and tear gassed relentlessly because they were black or progressives and then what happened yesterday as the real deal.

They made a point to distinguish between the 2. The thousands of whatever you want to call them in the Summer were good, the riot on Wednesday was bad. 

I think they intentionally, went out of their way to make sure their criticism of the riot on Wednesday did not apply to the riots in the Summer. 

Liberal riots = mostly peaceful protesters exercising their civil rights.

Conservative riots = Evil and cops are nice to them. Tell that to the dead white woman.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/63887/#63940

'Double standard': Biden, Black lawmakers and activists decry police response to attack on US Capitol

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/01/06/us-capitol-attack-compared-response-black-lives-matter-protests/6570528002/

"When Black folks are protesting and progressives are protesting peacefully they were tear-gassed, they were arrested, they were shot with rubber bullets. They were shot with real bullets,"Derrick Johnson, president of the national NAACP, said in a telephone interview. "We watched it take place all summer long when people were peacefully demonstrating."

2020–2021 United States racial unrest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%932021_United_States_racial_unrest

Casualties
Death(s)at least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]

The 2020–2021 United States racial unrest is an ongoing wave of civil unrest, comprising protests and riots.

metmike: They can't fool me. I read and watched the news all Summer long and we only have to look at that stat above to see some of the damage.  Yes, there were mostly peaceful demonstrators but the amount of rioting was unacceptable and in almost every case, cops were the ones abused the most and they took actions when the mobs would not cooperate. When there were isolated exceptions, we got to watch them over and over and over as headline news and became part of a fake narrative that cops want to hurt us(especially if we are black), not help us. 

Video captures Buffalo police push elderly man to the ground

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/06/05/buffalo-police-push-elderly-man-to-ground-jba-orig.cnn

By TimNew - Jan. 8, 2021, 6:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Guess I was not clear.

That was my point.  THe double standard is so blatant.    Or perhaps I misread you?

By metmike - Jan. 8, 2021, 11:54 p.m.
Like Reply

I must have misunderstood you.....my bad.

We agree on the double standard.

For the first time ever, I couldn't  take watching CNN any more this evening.

They were off the rails, all day long making it sound like the riot that happened on Wednesday was the worst thing that has ever happened to this country in history.

It was sad that a cop was killed, hit in the head by a fire extinguisher. We should all morn his death. However, CNN brought the guy up as much as they did for all the dozens of cops killed during the Summer riots combined and constantly tied it to President Trump and the evil rioters with their insurrection.

He has become a martyr for them. Not one of the 25 cops killed this Summer were martyrs for them. The cops have been the bad guys in almost all of their stories.............and suddenly, this cop is a good guy. 

What is offensive about this is the cops family specifically asked that his death not be used for political agenda and that's exactly what they are doing. 

“This Political Climate Got My Brother Killed”: Officer Brian Sicknick Died Defending the Capitol. His Family Waits for Answers.

Brian David Sicknick, 42, died of injuries sustained while trying to protect the Capitol. Family members say they don’t want his death politicized. But they do want to understand what happened.

https://www.propublica.org/article/officer-brian-sicknick-capitol

"The grieving family of a slain Capitol Police officer says he was a private man whose death shouldn’t be politicized. But now it is forced to make sense of the reality that he is a victim of political violence, his legacy forever linked to an insurrection in the U.S. Capitol.

“He spent his life trying to help other people,” the officer’s eldest brother told ProPublica. “This political climate got my brother killed.”

Brian David Sicknick, 42, died Thursday of injuries he sustained while trying to protect the Capitol from a mob of violent rioters supporting President Donald Trump who rushed the building to disrupt the certification of the presidential election."

By metmike - Jan. 8, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump tried tweeting from the official POTUS account despite Twitter's ban, but the tweets were immediately removed

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tweets-from-potus-account-after-suspension-they-got-deleted-2021-1

• President Donald Trump tweeted from the official @POTUS Twitter account Friday evening shortly after the social media company permanently banned his personal account, @realDonaldTrump.
  • But Twitter almost immediately deleted the tweets, in which Trump railed against the tech company, Democrats, and Section 230, and said he was considering building his own social media platform.
  • Twitter told CBS News it doesn't currently have plans to suspend @POTUS or @WhiteHouse, both government accounts, but is limiting their use.
  • A message from Trump was later attempted from his campaign's Twitter account @TeamTrump but the tweet was deleted and the account suspended.

By metmike - Jan. 9, 2021, 12:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Donald Trump Impeachment Won't Remove Him From Office, Mitch McConnell Memo Suggests

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-impeachment-wont-remove-him-office-mcconnell-memo-suggests-1560209

he Senate won't even start Donald Trump's impeachment trial until Joe Biden is president unless all 100 senators agree to a hearing, outgoing Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a memo.

Nancy Pelosi gave Trump an ultimatum to resign or face a rapid impeachment by the House of Representatives for inciting a mob that stormed the Capitol on Wednesday to prevent Joe Biden from being certified as president-elect.

But even if the House succeeds in ramming through articles of impeachment in the 10 remaining days of Trump's term, the Senate is in a pro-forma session in which it conducts no business.

According to McConnell's memo, first reported on by The Washington Post, the pro-forma session will only be interrupted to conduct business if all 100 senators agree. Unless that happens, Senate proceedings will only begin an hour after Biden becomes president on January 20.

Newsweek subscription offers >

The new Senate will have 50 Republicans. Only one, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, has signaled she wants Trump to leave office. While others are likely to join her, a unanimous GOP vote that would effectively lead to Trump's impeachment trial is virtually unthinkable.

"If the House agrees to articles of impeachment against President Trump before January 19, the Senate can receive a message announcing that the House has impeached the President while the Senate is in recess," the memo reads.

"Senate Impeachment Rules requires that the Chief Justice [John Roberts] preside over the trial," the memo continues. "Ordinarily, that invitation would issue on January 19. Whether the Chief Justice would actually preside over the trial after President Trump ceases to be President on January 20, however, is unclear."

"The Senate trial would therefore begin after President Trump's term has expired—either one hour after its expiration on January 20, or twenty-five hours after its expiration on January 21."

metmike: If there were several months left in President Trump's term, I would  be strongly in favor of his impeachment this time. What he's done for 2 months, even if there had been no rioting, was impeachable in my opinion. 

He deserves to be removed from office/impeached because he has blatantly violated his oath and obligation in THE MOST despicable displays of behavior by a siting president ever.............. bar none.

But not with just a few days left in his term. 

What exactly would be accomplished by it right now.

He can't post on Facebook or Twitter, so his power to influence people has been taken away. There will be no decisions or activities that he will be playing a key role in.

The vindictive members in Congress that want Trump to pay a price should spend their time on trying to bring America together..........not dwelling on doing something  that would clearly  elevate the stratospheric divisiveness we are experiencing even more.

By metmike - Jan. 9, 2021, 12:22 a.m.
Like Reply

Biden calls Trump ‘unfit’ but doesn’t endorse impeachment

Politics                                       

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — President-elect Joe Biden said Friday that President Donald Trump isn’t “fit for the job,” but he repeatedly refused to endorse growing Democratic calls to impeach him a second time.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a letter to members of her chamber that lawmakers could move as early as next week to impeach Trump for inciting a violent mob that overran the U.S. Capitol if the president didn’t “immediately” resign. Pelosi and Democratic Senate leader Chuck Schumer also have called on Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to force Trump from office — a process for stripping the president of his post and installing the vice president to take over.

Addressing reporters in his home state of Delaware, Biden noted that a key reason he ran for president was because he’d “thought for a long, long time that President Trump wasn’t fit for the job.”

“I’ve been saying for now, well, over a year, he’s not fit to serve,” Biden said. “He’s one of the most incompetent presidents in the history of the United States of America.”

But he refused to back efforts to remove Trump from the White House and insisted that impeachment was up to Congress. Instead, Biden said he was focused on the start of his own administration on Jan. 20, and he said his top three priorities are beating back the coronavirus, distributing vaccines fairly and equitably and reviving the struggling economy.

His comments laid bare the political balance Biden has worked to strike in the months since winning the presidential election. He has continued to sharply criticize Trump and nearly every facet of his administration but also worked to keep the public’s attention focused on what the new administration will do rather than indulging recriminations against the last one.

READ MORE: Lax security at the Capitol prompts widespread demand for answers

Biden nonetheless conceded that Trump “exceeded my worst notions about him. He’s been an embarrassment” and likened the “damage done to our reputation around the world” to “tin horn dictatorships.” The president-elect also suggested that a key hurdle to removing Trump was that he has less than two weeks remaining in his term.

“If we were six months out we should be doing everything to get him out of office. Impeaching him again, trying to evoke the 25th Amendment, whatever it took,” Biden said. “But I am focused now on us taking control as president and vice president on the 20th and to get our agenda moving as quickly as we can.”

Trump would be the only president to be impeached twice. The House impeached him in late 2019, but the Republican-led Senate acquitted him. Removal from office could also prevent Trump from running for president in 2024, or ever holding the presidency again.

Most Democrats, and many Republicans, put the blame squarely on Trump after hundreds of protesters broke into the Capitol on Wednesday and caused destruction and mass evacuations. The president had urged his supporters to protest as Congress was counting the electoral votes that confirmed Biden’s win. Five people died, including a Capitol Police officer.

Biden on Friday called what happened a “god-awful debacle” and said it had “the active encouragement of the president of the United States.”

Biden’s comments came hours after Trump tweeted that he planned to skip Biden’s inauguration, becoming the first president in more than 150 years — and just the fourth in U.S. history — to do so. Pence is planning to attend and Biden said he’d be “honored” to have him there but didn’t feel the same way about Trump.

The president skipping the event is “one of the few things he and I have ever agreed on,” Biden said. “It’s a good thing him not showing up.

By metmike - Jan. 9, 2021, 12:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Trump Responds to Twitter’s Permanent Account Suspension

https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-responds-to-twitter-account-suspension_3649738.html?utm_source=newsnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-01-08-5

President Donald Trump responded to Twitter’s move to permanently suspend his account from its platform late Friday, condemning the big tech giant and saying that it does not stand for free speech.

The president also said he anticipates a “big announcement” soon and that his team is negotiating with other sites and is also looking at building a separate platform.

“As I have been saying for a long time, Twitter has gone further and further in banning free speech, and tonight, Twitter employees have coordinated with the Democrats and the Radical Left in removing my account from their platform, to silence me—and YOU, the 75,000,000 great patriots who voted for me,” Trump said in a statement.

“Twitter may be a private company, but without the government’s gift of Section 230 they would not exist for long,” he added.

“I predicted this would happen. We have been negotiating with various other sites, and will have a big announcement soon, while we also look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future. We will not be SILENCED!” he said.

“Twitter is not about FREE SPEECH. They are all about promoting a Radical Left platform where some of the most vicious people in the world are allowed to speak freely,” Trump continued. “STAY TUNED!”

metmike: I would be interested in others views on this.

By TimNew - Jan. 9, 2021, 5:56 a.m.
Like Reply

This weeks riots in DC were not the worst thing thats ever happened.  They aren't even any where near as bad as the BLM riots in DC last summer.    But the MSM narrative certainly has changed, hasn't it?

By mcfarm - Jan. 9, 2021, 8:40 a.m.
Like Reply

wow, just wow. We have an incoming President carry around secrets of pay for play from all over the world with full documentation from his former partner and now we are in favor of impeaching Trump because we are misty eyed and all hurt over his free speech. wow, is this former USA upside down or what?

and just this morning Flynn released a video that was attacked certain algorithms so that nobody could view it.   funny how that works on conservatives isn't it?

By metmike - Jan. 9, 2021, 10:59 a.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

I realize that you have not agreed with me the last 2 months on the election results and so of course you will view President's Trump's words as justified............but they were not.

Here are the facts.

All the investigations into the elections..............the most ever in history by a wide margin revealed exactly ZERO evidence of widespread fraud or even substantial local fraud that could have made enough difference to make up enough votes to come even close to the vicinity needed for Trump to overtake Biden in even 1 state............and he needed numerous states to win.

If that wasn't clear the week after the election, it was CRYSTAL clear over a month after the election. Frickin CRYSTAL clear by all reasonable standards.

The only reason that one side did not agree with that was that they were misled by Trump and a large group of totally politically motivated entities to believe the complete opposite of the reality. 

I tell you all the time about the current climate optimum being twisted into the opposite........a climate crisis for political agenda.

This came from the exact same playbook mcfarm only this time YOU guys were the targets and President Trump was the leading shyster or the complete scam.

Trying to convince people of political bs comes with the job of being a politician in todays age but this stood out as extraordinarily unique, even by bs-ing standards.

Think about it. Refusing to acknowledge the proven results(GA did hand recounts 3 times for Pete's sake) of the biggest election our country ever has and tricking almost half the country into believing the complete opposite  of the reality for self serving political gain vs the best interest of the country.........using blatant lies to replace the proven truths over and over is so despicable that it does justify impeachment. 

If not, then what does?

Then, getting people so outraged that they do what resulted in the events that led up to Wednesday's riot. 

If not for his term ending in a few days based on the peoples legit vote, I would be for impeachment.  Biden has this one right. Impeachment now is just showing us how political and self serving the democrats are with no consideration of how the impeachment will take the divisiveness that is destroying our country, to a new high.

Tell me how impeachment would help unite our country? Just the opposite and it would do nothing to protect us from a completely neutered/powerless/disgraced  president.

We should keep in mind that Trump lost the popular vote by 7 million votes. You hate to hear that but that's the widest victory, other than Obama's in 2008 of the last 3 decades. 

Yet he continues to claim that he won by a landslide. This is how delusional his statements have been and how they have led us down this path over the last 2 months that makes him well deserving of impeachment.

His impeachment over his phone call to the Ukraine and attempts to investigate legit corruption by the Bidens was a complete joke.

This, however was as serious as a heart attack and the evidence is overwhelming and out there for everybody to see..........and defined him for 2 straight months. 

If we had the election again today, what do you think the results would show?

I contend that it would be an even bigger Biden landslide, with him winning by at least 10 million votes. One of those votes would be from metmike. 

Trump has had some of his stanchest supporters in Congress abandon him recently too. Imagine what this country would have been like with him leading like this for another 4 years. His negatives, have far, far become much worse than his positives. 

I will vote for Biden            

5 responses |             

Started by metmike - Nov. 1, 2020, 12:26 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/60637/

By mcfarm - Jan. 9, 2021, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

only one problem with what you said, just who gets to be the arbiter what you can say and what you cannot say.....talk about a slippery slope. Most conservatives believe we will defend the right of anyone to speech no matter how stupid that person's speech may seem to be.

By metmike - Jan. 9, 2021, 11:48 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks mcfarm,

Good points about who gets to decide on who says what.

Why do some MSM  sources, like CNN get to broadcast hateful, one sided political bs all day?

I guess its freedom of the press and the fact that these are PRIVATE companies. They can set their own rules. If we don't like them, we can go elsewhere.