Confederate Flags in the Capitol Building
16 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Jan. 9, 2021, 11:53 p.m.

I saw one goof ball with a t-shirt that said "Camp Auschwitz".  Ok one guy is barely worth a mention.

But I saw multiple confederate flags in the insurgency parading in our place of government.  

Anybody ok with that?  

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 1:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks joj,

Here's an example of the goofballs.

Capitol riot: Five startling images from the siege

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-55577824

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 1:59 a.m.
Like Reply

A guest on CNN tonight actually said that if these were BLM demonstrators, none of this would have happened.

She may have been thinking that the cops/security would have been more aggressive/better prepared but thats not what she said.

How quickly and conveniently that side has forgotten what this country was put thru over the Summer from the rioting.

List of monuments and memorials removed during the George Floyd protests

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monuments_and_memorials_removed_during_the_George_Floyd_protests

Note: The list of citations for monuments/statutes and memorials removed, destroyed or vandalized is almost 500 items long.

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 2:06 a.m.
Like Reply

2020–2021 United States racial unrest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%932021_United_States_racial_unrest

Casualties
Death(s)At least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]
By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 2:25 a.m.
Like Reply

'Now The World Gets To See The Difference': BLM Protesters On The Capitol Attack

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/09/955221274/now-the-world-gets-to-see-the-difference-blm-protesters-on-the-capitol-attack

From her couch in Minneapolis, Nuny Nichols watched a mob of largely white extremists stage an insurrection in Washington, D.C., set up a noose on a wooden beam outside the U.S. Capitol and walk a symbol of violence and slavery — the Confederate flag — through the building as they stormed and raided it.

She was angry, but she was not surprised at the way people in the mob laughed as they took things from the building. There were white extremists who felt at ease giving their names to media outlets and taking selfies with a white police officer. 

It stood in stark contrast to the way law enforcement handled protests for Black lives this summer in Minneapolis, where Nichols demonstrated. 

"People who were just out there to protest — to make sure our voice is being heard — as soon as they were getting even close to a building, or even close to a police officer, they were instantly tear gassing and they were shooting rubber bullets," she recalls. 

Meanwhile, she watched this actual mob, incited by President Trump, storm the Capitol with what appeared to be little resistance. 

"Now the world gets to see the difference between these two situations, where one is us protesting to be seen, to be heard, to not be killed, right?" she said. "And then you have these other people who are just mad because they lost."

metmike: Sure, those BLM people were just there to protest to have their voices heard and accidentally burned down, vandalized and destroyed a couple billion dollars in property while the evil white protested wanted to totally demolish everything in their path but somehow, only a very tiny fraction of the damage.

And those nice BLM, peaceful protestors who were being beat up and gassed by the cops, accidentally killed 2 dozen of them and injured 400 of them. While the killer white protestors killed one cop(too many) after he was hit on the head by a fire extinguisher but they really intended to kill many more.

How about, maybe the cops were being nice to the white racists because most of them were being nice to the cops.

And the cops were being more aggressive with the BLM people because they were throwing rocks and bottles at the cops and aiming fireworks at them and shining lasers to damage their eyes and often trying to injure and even kill them.

So yes, those of us actually looking at what really happened and why did get to see the difference and it was the polar opposite of what NPR describes. 

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 2:38 a.m.
Like Reply

joj,

To finally answer your question. I thought it was unpatriotic,  ironic and hypocritical that some of these people brought Confederate flags with them. 

The message of the US flag is country unity and the Constitution and rule of law and democratic elections.  The Conderate flag herards back to the days of the Civil War and the succession of the South from the North and division.

If you want to fly that flag to send some sort of supportive message of something...........then keep the dang thing way down south in Dixie land and away from people that are offended by it...............which would even people down there but bringing it to a protest in Washington DC that rallies for the great USA,  would be like bringing a baseball glove and baseball paraphanialia to a football game and cheering for your favorite baseball team while they play football.................You  dun be cheerin,  not just the wrong team.......but the wrong dang sport......in the wrong city!!!

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2021, 7:29 a.m.
Like Reply

If you don't like the confederate flag, don't fly it.  It's simple as that.   When you selectively apply the first amendment,  you don't have a first amendment.

Personally,  I think flying the confederate flag is a bad, or stupid idea and I would not want to be associated with the message it would send.

By joj - Jan. 10, 2021, 7:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

I. would not suggest that any law was broken.  You want to fly the Confederate flag, the Nazi flag or the Hammer and Cycle, go right ahead.

I am incredulous at southerners who hide behind "It's a symbol of southern heritage.  It has nothing to do with slavery."  And those that do don the Confederate flag and don't hide it....  I can only guess at the anger inside of them.

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2021, 7:42 a.m.
Like Reply

I'm more concerned about the Hammer and Sickle and the message it sends, but to each his own.

By mcfarm - Jan. 10, 2021, 8:22 a.m.
Like Reply

wow again with the typical joj hypocrisy.....what about the blm flags found waving in wind and windows?

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 11:08 a.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

joj is a liberal making a good point here and asking you specifically about what you think about confederate flags at this event...............not trying to compare confederate flags to BLM flags.

At least answer his question, like Tim did.

What is your opinion about confederate flags last Wednesday?

By mcfarm - Jan. 10, 2021, 12:27 p.m.
Like Reply

confederate flags never bothered me, whenever I seem them I just go about my business, They are a part of our history and cannot be ignored anymore than all these old statues we are foolishly taking down

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 2:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks mcfarm,

That seems reasonable. 

By WxFollower - Jan. 10, 2021, 3:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Confederacy supporters constantly say they support it not because it was pro-slavery, but instead because it was pro-"States' Rights" with more power to the states and less to the Federal. Many of these same people wanted the GA and other state vote counts to be changed to keep Trump in power. So, they literally want Federal to overrule the many times confirmed state vote counts for Biden! If this isn't a double standard, I don't know what one is. 

Bottom line: these Confederacy supporters no longer have a leg to stand on.

By mcfarm - Jan. 10, 2021, 4:16 p.m.
Like Reply

hardly true. the people fighting vote counts saw the states in question go around their state legislatures time after time starting last spring with covid...the state legislatures are what controls voting rights and rules not the courts and certainly not the bureaucrats that jumped in and changed the rules willy nilly and upside down

By joj - Jan. 10, 2021, 6:46 p.m.
Like Reply

In addition to some Nazi T-shirts were some that said "6MWE".  I have learned that it means "6 million was not enough."

It's not who Trump is, but he was happy to get their support and adulation.

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2021, 7:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry nailed it.....hit the bullseye dead center.