China Food Supply
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 12, 2021, 4:53 p.m.

I think I started posting some time late summer of 2020 that china had a food problem

About a couple months after I forward sold most of my 2020 corn production

That was not one of my best sales    Grrr I don't even have enough left unsold to make a decent average price for the yr but that is the risk

But back to China

When I read that china had bought rice from India,  which hasn't happened in 30 yrs.

India is not known for quality rice, although a huge rice producer. It seems that Vietnam also bought rice from India. Now most people think of Vietnam as a producer of rice, enough to be self sufficient

What does this tell us. I think it tells us china had a major crop failure this past yr. China is buying food from any place food is available in the world, even china's enemy the USA. Do other countries suddenly have a food problem or was 2020 an outlier???

Vietnam buying rice is a mystery. Just a one time rice failure. Does Russia have wheat for sale in any quantity??

China needs food and is buying every place food can be bought

When china bought rice from India that was the best evidence I could find, that China was desperate for food..

U.N says we have a world food problem. Seems like they always say the same thing and probably for good reason. But they seem a bit more desperate this yr. Usually what the U.N really means is they need more money. The food is there. but only those who can afford the price get food. This yr, maybe the U. N really is talking a food shortage, what with china taking food from every where. Especially with S.A sold out and some question about next yrs supply. Even though S A will likely produce more beans do to more acres planted, have we really reached the tipping point

Comments
By MarkB - Jan. 13, 2021, 12:59 a.m.
Like Reply

The current estimate, is that the US can feed 10 billion people with it's production. Breaking it down into individual products would take some time. But we certainly aren't the highest in production of rice.

However. Our arable lands and ability to produce meats, is one of the reasons why China has been buying up arable land and food production companies in the last 15 years, due to the sellout of our country by our politicians. Which is why I do my research, and do not buy from China owned companies in the US. 

By becker - Jan. 13, 2021, 4:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Does seem odd: India and China are fighting a bloody armed conflict at their common border. India then sells rice to China.

By bear - Jan. 13, 2021, 10:12 p.m.
Like Reply

i've also read that china has a shortage of food.  young people have left the rural areas, and moved to cities for better jobs.  lots of farming is still carried out the old way.  (not with big machinery on large farms).  

and they have a billion people to feed.  

so yes, they are dependent on other countries for food.  they have depended on the usa in the past, but maybe bought from india because they are trying not to be too dependent on america.  

By Jim_M - Jan. 14, 2021, 11:26 a.m.
Like Reply

To be fair, a China food supply problem is a world food supply problem.  I brought this up a week or two ago.  We have had reasonable good crops the last couple years, as has SA.  And yet, here we are.  What is going to happen when there are some weather issues?  What happens if La Nina hangs around and the "drought" the US is currently experiencing goes on well into summer?  

By becker - Jan. 14, 2021, 5:59 p.m.
Like Reply

The US China trade imbalance is massive. They can afford $20 bean and $8 corn still have a huge trade surplus with US.