A Collector of Math and Physics Surprises
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 31, 2021, 1:36 p.m.

This guys thoughts/philosophy  capture my own thinking EXACTLY!

A Collector of Math and Physics Surprises

Tadashi Tokieda discovers new physical phenomena by looking at the everyday world with the eyes of a child.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-collector-of-math-and-physics-surprises?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"Sometimes adults have a regrettable tendency to be interested only in things that are already labeled by other adults as interesting. Whereas if you come a little fresher, and a little more naive, you can look all over the place, whether it’s labeled or not, and find your own surprises.                        

So, when I’m washing my hands with my child, I might notice that if you open a faucet very thinly — not so that it drips, but a thin, steady stream of water — and you lift your finger gradually toward the faucet, you can actually wrinkle the water stream. It’s really fantastic. You can see beadlike wrinkles.                        

It turns out that this can be explained beautifully by surface tension. And this was known to some people, but 99.9% of the world population hasn’t seen this wrinkling of the water. So it’s a delightful thing. You don’t want to let go of that feeling of surprise.                        

And so that’s what you do. You just look around. And sometimes you feel tired, or you feel dizzy, or you feel preoccupied by other things, and you cannot do this. But you’re not always tired and you’re not always preoccupied. In those moments, you can find lots of wonderful things."                       

Comments
By TimNew - Jan. 31, 2021, 2:05 p.m.
Like Reply

I make my "Discoveries" inside of computers.  There are so many variables, so many paths,  the combinations and resulting logic is not infinite,   but it may as well be.   Rarely a week goes by that I have not surprised myself with what a computer can do. Those terrabytes we deal with today are virtual universes.

My biggest challenge right now is how I will fill the ensuing gap that will appear following my impending retirement.  This has been such a huge part of who I am for the last several decades...   But I am sure I will find something.

By metmike - Jan. 31, 2021, 3:02 p.m.
Like Reply

There is an endless number of challenging, educational and rewarding/enriching positive opportunities on the internet Tim!