the improved refugee program
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Feb. 4, 2021, 7:30 p.m.

Today, Pres. Biden increased the limit of refugees the US will accept annually, from 15,000 to 125,000.

As we all know (or should know), unlike legal immigrants, who need a job offer or a sponsor to receive a visa, refugees receive a complete welfare package, including housing, healthcare, food stamps, education.

Financially speaking. this is not a big deal.... only a few billion dollars.  The millions of unemployed in the US will soon be getting their jobs back and create the necessary tax revenue to pay for this..... if not, we simply print more money.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9225665/Biden-welcome-125-000-refugees-U-S-fiscal-year.html

Comments
By bear - Feb. 5, 2021, 8:58 p.m.
Like Reply

i have a friend from somolia who previously had helped immigrants get settled.  it is something like this.  immigrants from east africa got 3 months of welfare.  then it was cut off.  so within 3 months, they had to be self sufficient, and also pay back the price of the plane ticket to get here.  

here in tucson, the lutheran church has an organization that helps immigrants with all kinds of things.  whether it is getting ride to the doctors office, or learning the bus system, etc.  

By bear - Feb. 8, 2021, 11:04 a.m.
Like Reply

just my opinion, 

i would greatly expand immigration.  most immigrants are thrilled to be here, in the usa.  they work their fingers to the bone.  they are productive, start businesses, pay taxes.  the immigrants i know (from africa, asia, east europe),  are less likely to apply for welfare.  they want to work and be self sufficient.  

no hard numbers on this but the immigrants i know from central america are willing to work hard, but are also more willing to accept the idea of govt providing welfare programs for people.  

By GunterK - Feb. 8, 2021, 11:20 a.m.
Like Reply

you are probably quite correct

However, my original (sarcastic) post intended to question the timing of this sudden increase.  Right now, the country is devastated by the pandemic.... millions of people unemployed... debt rising to stratospheric levels...

I would have no objection if this increase came after things have gone back to normal.