The Outrage over the Capitol Riot.
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Feb. 6, 2021, 7:14 a.m.

No doubt the events of Jan 6th deserve attention and outrage.  I don't condone acts like this for any reason, and no one should.

Yet,  it seems to be getting far more attention than the days long riots in DC where statues and monuments were toppled and overall damage and violence were far more severe, measured in days, not hours.  We see nothing like the effort to arrest and prosecute the participants of Jan 6th for the events of the last year in DC and several other cities.  We see nothing like the outrage.  I've even seen people justify the riots of the last year.

(Side note:   I actually read a conversation that attributed  higher crime rates in minority areas to the higher police presence.  "More Cops=More Arrests".  As if police presence somehow increases the amount of murder and assault, etc.  Don't know whether to laugh or cry.  But I digress).

It even seems the activities of the 6th are the 1st time such attrocities have been committed in the hallowed halls of the Capitol Building.  That's the impression one would get.   But worse has happened.

In 1983,  Susan Rosenberg and Linda Sue Evans detonated a massive bomb in the building.   They were later pardoned by Clinton and Rosenberg went on to become a professor.  Seems terrorism against the US  is a major plus on the resume of prospective professors in todays educational environment.

Bomb explodes in U.S. Capitol, Nov. 7, 1983 - POLITICOBack ButtonSearch IconFilter Icon

And of course,  there are other examples of radical attacks on the Capitol.

A history of attacks on the U.S. Capitol, 44 years after the Weather Underground bombing - The Washington Post

The current media onslaught appears to have missed these.  Weird,  Huh?

Comments
By mcfarm - Feb. 6, 2021, 8:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Weird? Did you catch the amount of crap AOC and talib were spreading just yesterday from the house floor about their newly adopted 15th kind of victimhood. If anyone happened to miss that bit of theater find a video and get some pop corn, set back and watch with amusement.

By mcfarmer - Feb. 6, 2021, 9:17 a.m.
Like Reply

”But worse has happened.”

I realize the desire for attention folks some times have when participating in forums such as this;  but to equate the planned violent overthrow of our government and the attempted assassination  of our leaders, and missing only by minutes, all at the direction of the president, with anything less than the civil war is ludicrous.

Before mob stormed US Capitol, Trump told them to ‘fight like hell’

Tell me, did he figure they would all rush out and file legal briefs challenging the process ? No ? What then exactly do you think he meant ? He meant what he got. 

His own advisors reported he was “gleeful” at seeing what unfolded. Only downer for him was the “low class” of people involved.

By TimNew - Feb. 6, 2021, 10:58 a.m.
Like Reply

attempted assassination  of our leaders, and missing only by minutes,

I love the histrionics here.  Right out of AOC's playbook,  whi was not even there.  

And now the phrase "Fight like hell" is an incitement to riot and impeachable.   Shall I do a google search on all politicians who have uttered this damnable phrase so we can start rolling out the indictments?   Won't be many left in DC,  I'll bet.   

By mcfarmer - Feb. 6, 2021, 11:15 a.m.
Like Reply

“I love the histrionics here”

Tell me, who is saying what in this clip ?

https://youtu.be/na6KBNroYD0

What part of “Hang Mike Pence” is so difficult to understand ?

By TimNew - Feb. 6, 2021, 11:19 a.m.
Like Reply

Mobs yell stupid things all the time.  The "Minutes from" is what I find so entertaining.

By mcfarmer - Feb. 6, 2021, 11:55 a.m.
Like Reply

“Minutes from" is what I find so entertaining.”

So, minutes from is entertaining ? Hours ? Days ? At what point does it stop becoming entertaining to you ?

Right up to the point they pull the trigger or beat a cop to death ? Is that when it ceases to be entertaining ?

Just down the hallway from where the woman was shot by police breaking through the door you can see civilians. You think they shot her just to save one more hallway from being overrun ?

Tell me what these fine patriots would have done if Nancy Pelosi was in her office ? Really, tell me what you think they would have done. Shared that beer with her? What would they have done if Mike Pence  walked out into the rotunda and tried to ask them to leave ? I’m serious, what do you think they would have done ?

What they would have done is what they were trying to do. Kill. Any other conclusion is delusional. 

This is beyond ridiculous. Justify it however you want.

By TimNew - Feb. 6, 2021, 1:03 p.m.
Like Reply

I am justifying nothing, and have not.  Your need for a strawman is interesting.   I've condemned the actions.  You are trying to dramatize an already dramatic situtation.  My question is why has the mayhem of the last year gotten no where near the level of attention and outrage

So,    your criteria for real concern is the death of a cop?   OK,  I'll see your 1 and raise you a few dozen.  Deaths of citizens?   I'll see your 4 and raise you several hundred.

No,  I'm not trying to minimize what happened on the 6th.  I'm trying to understand the different levels of outrage. And I am afraid the answer is that the vast majority of our citizens do what they are told.

By metmike - Feb. 6, 2021, 1:19 p.m.
Like Reply

it does seem quite odd that these events below, got coverage thats so different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_racial_unrest

2020 United States racial unrest

Clockwise from top:
DateMay 8, 2020 – ongoing
(7 months and 4 days)
Location United States
Caused bySeveral deaths related to police activity, notably the killing of George Floyd while being arrested by the Minneapolis Police,[1]police brutality,[1]lack of police accountability,[1]inequality and racism[2]
MethodsProtests, demonstrations, riots, looting, civil disobedience, civil resistance, strike action
StatusOngoing
Concessions
given
United StatesExecutive branch of federal government 
Local law enforcement

Counterprotesters:
Protesters:
Others:
Death(s)at least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]

]

This bears repeating:

Casualties
Death(s)at least 25[6]
Injuries400+ law enforcement officials and an unknown number of civilians[7]
ArrestedOver 14,000 (as of June 27, 2020)[5]
Damage$1–2 billion insured damages (as of September 17, 2020)[8]

Contents

By metmike - Feb. 6, 2021, 1:19 p.m.
Like Reply

CNN's Chris Cuomo: Who Says Protests Are Supposed To Be Polite And Peaceful?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/06/04/cnns_chris_cuomo_who_says_protests_are_supposed.html