Biden terminates order to construct border wall
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Feb. 11, 2021, 11:13 a.m.

Biden terminates Trump emergency order used to construct border wall

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/538406-biden-terminates-trump-emergency-order-used-to-construct-border-wall

President Biden has rescinded the emergency order used by former President Trump to justify construction of the border wall, the White House announced Thursday.

“I have determined that the declaration of a national emergency at our southern border was unwarranted,” Biden wrote in a letter to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

“I have also announced that it shall be the policy of my administration that no more American taxpayer dollars be diverted to construct a border wall, and that I am directing a careful review of all resources appropriated or redirected to that end.”

Biden’s proclamation comes after it asked the Supreme Court to cancel an upcoming hearing on the legality of the border wall, which the court then granted.

"The President has directed the Executive Branch to undertake an assessment of 'the legality of the funding and contracting methods used to construct the wall,'" the administration wrote to the court earlier this month.

That case challenged $2.5 billion in Department of Defense spending that had been diverted to complete construction.

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!