Why would you trade a house for a motor home??
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Feb. 27, 2021, 10:32 a.m.

Some people think the momad style of living here and therre must have some appeal. Now I can see wanting to leave Ca. while the getting is good and your house does not lose any more value. But some need the house sale to have enough funds to buy a motor home

Why would you give up and house that will last your life time for a motor coach that will wear out and eventually be worth very little, Any kind of machine has tremendous depreciation

Now perhaps your house is worthmore than a motor home and you invest the surplus funds  in stks. Do you really trust stks to retain value vs a house. Even if the house loses value it will be there to live in well past the life span of a motor home

Now I could see the possibility of selling a housee n CA and replacing with a cheaper house in another part of the country. If the proceeds exceed the new house location, then by all means do your self a favour and travel the country. But I would always want a house some where that would last my life time with out depending on stk value or a depreciating motor home

I have seen people sell a house and put the proceeds into a motor home. That simply does not make sense to me. Even the cost of parking, gas, repairs etc would seem to me to exceed the cost of a house repair and taxes.

Obviously some think differently

On our farm the most expensive thing we own, other than land cost, which is an appreciating asset, is machinery that is constantly depreciating. Even when we think we have some thing that should last 20 yrs the cost still seems to be more than expected

Maybe that is why I am against owning a motor home. I would rent if the nomad life had any value to me and hold on to my house. If 4-6 weeks is the most I can afford or more or less, at least I own a permanent place to live, some place in the USA

Do any of you have the travel lust and plan on buying a motor home or is this not meant for this forum?? Some do but maybe not on this forum

Comments
By cutworm - Feb. 27, 2021, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

i wouldn't trade my house either but fallowing a persons dreams is what freedom is all about. We don't all want to be alike.

By TimNew - Feb. 28, 2021, 6:40 a.m.
Like Reply

I've met several people who have become "full timers" where the only plan is where the next stop will be and for how long.  I can understand the appeal but the wife and I have discussed extensively and it will not be a choice we'll make.   We'll never see winter weather again (such as it is in Ga), but we'll always have a base of operations with a solid roof.

The appeal is freedom and adventure. THe open road can be an exciting place.