Pres Biden and the Crimea
1 response | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Feb. 27, 2021, 2:46 p.m.

Biden says the US will never accept Russia’s annexation of the Crimea. His statement was done on the 7th anniversary of this event.

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by naval warfare. I read several books about naval battles, especially of WW1.

Russia had its Black Sea Port in Sevastopol. This port gave them access not only to the Black Sea, but indirectly also to the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.

These books left the imprint on my mind, that the Crimea was part of Russia, and will always be part of Russia, and they will never give up this land.

If I am not mistaken, the break-up of the Soviet Union gave the Crimea to the Ukraine, even though the population of the Crimea is mostly Russian.

Somehow, the US got involved in Ukrainian politics. [well..not the People of the US, but the shadowy entities who control US foreign politics... I don't believe the People of the US really care about Ukrainian politics]

Apparently, the government of the Ukraine was friendly to Russia, and the US couldn’t have any such feelings. A new government had to be installed. And so it was done, in 2012.  A US-friendly government was installed.

The population of the Crimea, being mostly Russian, didn’t like this, of course. They wanted to be part of Russia.

Shortly thereafter, Russia annexed the Crimea.

It seems to me, in today’s politics, when the US is supporting the people of Taiwan, in not wanting to be taken over by China, the US should also support the people of the Crimea, for not wanting to be part of the Ukraine.

https://news.antiwar.com/2021/02/26/biden-says-us-will-never-accept-russias-annexation-of-crimea/

Comments
By wglassfo - Feb. 27, 2021, 6:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Forget any statement by Biden re: Crimea

The doddering old fool is just trying for some PR, but actions on the ground don't support Biden's statement

There is no way Biden will support Crimea when the people are mostly Russian and the annexed portion is Russian and those people want to be a part of Russia. This business of Crimea  as a separate state was tried and failed. The USA would be foolish to try the same thing again. This is important to Russia as a warm water port plus the people of Crimea want to be a part of Russia.

Taiwan is different and those people don't want to be a part of China

However, if China decides Taiwan will be a part of China I don't see the USA putting up much resistance. Lot's of sanctions and bluster, but not much else. I feel sorry for the troops in Taiwan as they will be cannon fodder. Not that troops haven't been used as cannon fodder before. Just the way it is some times

Will the USA continue to sell grain to China if China invades Taiwan. I give it 12 months and then grain sales start again, assuming China invades Taiwan

Our biggest fear should be if Biden decides to start a hot war in retaliation, if china invades Taiwan