How to solve the climate crisis
18 responses | 3 likes
Started by metmike - March 1, 2021, 5:36 p.m.

metmike: I can solve the entire climate crisis!

All these scientists and trillions of dollars and governments working overtime but still no viable solution after 40 years of telling us about the coming apocalypse unless we do exactly as they say.

I can solve it for everybody if they would just do exactly as metmike advises.  Completely solve it for much less money. It's a revolutionary idea that would completely change the manner in which we are approaching the climate crisis.

metmike, a man of (too) many words is ready to tell the world what the secret to defeat the climate crisis is................in just 3 words..........let's tell you on FRIDAY what it is.

We asked Bill Gates, a Nobel laureate, and others to name the most effective way to combat climate change

Their answers included rising carbon prices(taxes), storage breakthroughs, a fusion moonshot and more.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/24/1018119/climate-change-progress-gates-clean-energy/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Need a subscription to get the article.

Comments
By metmike - March 1, 2021, 5:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Bill, you are looking entirely at the wrong things:

Bill Gates on his high-risk climate investments, and spurring innovation to save the planet

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/bill-gates-high-risk-climate-investments-spurring-innovation-save-planet/

By metmike - March 1, 2021, 6:04 p.m.
Like Reply

metmike: Here's an article that tells people how they can save the planet. As a practicing environmentalist, I really like several of their wonderful ideas that are copied below.

But I can solve the climate crisis much easier than this.

Top 10 things you can do about climate change

metmike: I would retitle this article name above and use just  the 5 items below and call it: Top 5 things you can do to help the planet.

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/top-10-ways-can-stop-climate-change/

2. Use energy wisely — and save money too!

metmike: They forgot to mention this one: Turn the heat waaay down in the Winter and AC waaaay up in the Summer.

3. Get charged up with renewables

metmike: Renewables that make sense.

4. Eat for a climate-stable planet 

Specifically:

• Don’t waste food
  • Grow your own

6. Green your commute 

7. Consume less, waste less, enjoy life more!!!

“We use too much, too much of it is toxic and we don’t share it very well. But that’s not the way things have to be. Together, we can build a society based on better not more, sharing not selfishness, community not division.”The Story of Stuff

Focusing on life’s simple pleasures — spending time in nature, being with loved ones, making a difference to others — provides more purpose, belonging and happiness than buying and consuming. Plus, when we consume less, we produce fewer emissions and are gentler on the earth. Sharing, making, fixing, upcycling, repurposing and composting are all good places to start.

Fire up your commitment to the people and places you love by acting every day on the understanding that we are one with nature."

metmike: This is the best of the bunch! They forgot to mention this one but most people waste a tremendous amount of water. We shower more often than needed. Water the lawn too much. Keep the water running while  brushing our teeth...............HUGE wasting. 1 billion people on the planet don't have enough fresh water on most days. 

By metmike - March 1, 2021, 7:04 p.m.
Like Reply

metmike: These are the top 6 ENVIRONMENTAL crisis items. On Friday, I will tell you how to solve the climate crisis in 3 words......which is something DIFFERENT than the ENVIRONMENTAL crisis items.

The real environmental crisis's/insects dying-dead zones-aquifers drying up-plastics in the ocean-landfills/trash-over consumption of natural resources(metmike is a PRACTICING environmentalist): April 2019

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/27498/

By 7475 - March 2, 2021, 9:07 a.m.
Like Reply

How to solve it,mm?

Lets just be reasonable in our use of natures gifts,put some effort into sustainable energy sources with a for profit agenda and a LITTLE subsidy from Uncle,and let nature's natural cycles play out.

Nature will be a slow mover in this case and we'll have time to get out of her way and adapt.

Chill Dudes

John

By TimNew - March 2, 2021, 10:03 a.m.
Like Reply

Not a big supporter of gov subsidies of any kind.  I don't rule them out without a 2nd look,  but the practical application is extremely limited.

A good idea does not need subsidy.  A bad idea only costs more if subsidized.

By wglassfo - March 2, 2021, noon
Like Reply

MM 

One of your examples was to use less water

Now I realize I am located in a region with 20% of the worlds fresh water

However, we don't use this water to irrigate most crops, like some do in the USA. High value crops get water but the ROI for corn and beans is not worth while. I don't water the lawn as this means less work when the grass turns brown. My wife does water a few flowers but I sure won't ever do that. Live or die is my flower motto

So:

When I want water I want lots of it and I have lots of water for my needs, when or what I want from my private well. In fact that well supplies almost 100,000 gal of water for crop spraying during the summer. I don't buy town water to spray like some do.

So showering less, water efficient appliances that barely cover the bottom of the washing machine.  or the atmosphere has more water which helps plant growth If the clothes are really dirty we have to run them through twice

This will help who?? if I use less water??? We already use 10 gal/acre when spraying which is the minimum that gives coverage although some chemicals need 20 gal/acre

It depends on where the water is located and I have no control over that

I have water and see no way to help those that need more water in, let's say Ca. All my neighbours have their own water supply and nobody uses town water for house use.

So why should I save water?? I don't waste water as that costs money but I want lots of water for my needs

I can't save the planet by using less water. The grey water gets re-cycled back into the ground and will filter down eventually through 100 plus feet of soil. It may take time but this re-cycle process has been happening for 100 yrs or more. Even crop spray water will eventually re-cycle unless it evaporates and then some body gets a rain shower

By metmike - March 2, 2021, 12:26 p.m.
Like Reply

I see your point Wayne.

There are many people not nearly as fortunate as you that don't have unlimited water available.

We have it pretty good too, here along the Ohio River.

By metmike - March 2, 2021, 10 p.m.
Like Reply

In 3 days, I'll tell you how to solve the climate crisis in 3 words.

By metmike - March 3, 2021, 9:41 p.m.
Like Reply

Just 2 days until I let you know how to solve the climate crisis in 3 words.

I'm thinking too...........that this would solve many problems in our world.

Only 3 words needed. 

By metmike - March 4, 2021, 5:52 p.m.
Like Reply

3 magic words that would solve the climate crisis and many other problems in our world..........tomorrow.

By metmike - March 5, 2021, 4:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Tell

The 

Truth!

By metmike - March 7, 2021, 2:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi

I dont know when the left will get it thru their heads they can not control nature. They know they can control people so they are weaponizing natural events to exert that control. Where I come from that is called deception

By metmike - March 7, 2021, 2:57 p.m.
Like Reply

This is the Truth:

Climate Reality discussions            

15 responses |               

Started by metmike - April 15, 2019, 4:10 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/27864/

By TimNew - March 7, 2021, 7:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Want to see a real climate crisis?    Lower global temps by a few degrees.

By metmike - March 8, 2021, 12:55 a.m.
Like Reply

100%, scientifically correct Tim.

Life on this planet has always done much worse during cooling periods.

During the Little Ice Age 200+ years ago, conditions were harsh for life on this planet.

In contrast, during the Medieval Warm Period-1,000 years ago, Roman Warm Period-2,000 years ago, Minoan Warm Period-3,500 years ago and the Holocene Climate Optimum 9,000-5,000 years ago(that featured LESS Arctic sea ice than now)....life flourished.

The optimal global temp for much of life is probably around 2 deg. C warmer than this.

We know that the optimal CO2 level is double the current level.

NEW:  Optimal CO2 for life more than double current level. See the proof with thousands of studies. Showing Scientific American.....and mainstream science sold to us........ to be wrong about plants and the affects from Climate Change. December 2020

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/62784/

By metmike - March 8, 2021, 1:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Ironic thing is that we have to take all these political actions now to eliminate fossil fuels in order to save the planet because climate model computer simulations show an apocalypse in the year 2100 if we keep using fossil fuels.

How can that even happen since we will be running out of fossil fuels long before then?

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/66334/#66343

It's all so obviously political and can be shown so many different ways.........we are having a climate optimum, not a climate crisis. 

When Fossil Fuels Run Out, What Then?                                        

https://mahb.stanford.edu/library-item/fossil-fuels-run/

In figure 1 [4] we show the future energy reserves in billions of oil equivalent, Btoe, as a function of year. While we obliviously use up fossil fuels without taking stock of about what future reserves look like, we should take note of the endpoints shown here. These endpoints are dangerously close: Since our society is so dependent on fossil fuels, it therefore is extremely important for us to know when these fuels will run out according to [4]:

Oil will end by 2052   – 30 years time

Gas will end by 2060  – 40 years time

Coal will last till 2090 –   70 years time

However, according to BP [5], earth has 53 years of oil reserves left at current rate of consumption.

Figure 1  Energy reserves in billion tonnes of oil equivalent – Btoe [4]

Gioietta_1_23

By metmike - March 8, 2021, 1:20 a.m.
Like Reply

Here's a typical graph that we are shown, projecting the temp increase to the year 2100 based on different emissions scenario's. 

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature-projections

metmike: Just one huge problem with their graph and lines. 

From the previous page:

Oil will end by 2052   – 30 years time

Gas will end by 2060  – 40 years time

Coal will last till 2090 –   70 years time

This would be like estimating what somebody's blood alcohol will be at midnight, based on drinking 2 beers an hour for 6 straight hours, starting at 6pm but they only have a 6 pack and will run out of beer at 9pm.

Or forecasting the amount of snow  accumulation from a Winter storm for a 24 hour period, based on an inch/hour rate of snowfall, during that entire period...............even though the storm will have passed out of the area after the first 12 hours.

Or a farmer estimating how much anhydrous amonia/nitrogen his current corn crop will need that includes applications in October, November, December and january............after the corn crop was already harvested.!

By metmike - March 8, 2021, 1:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Since the 1980's we've been told that this would happen:

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

PETER JAMES SPIELMANNJune 29, 1989

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

We failed to heed their warnings and continued to burn even more fossil fuels with CO2 increasing even more than before............. and the main result was this:

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

The better the climate has been for life, the worse they have described it and the worse it will get they tell us(even as we experience a climate optimum-best conditions on the planet for most life since humans have existed) . They even project how much worse it will be when we are burning non existent fossil fuels for 40 years..... after fossil fuels run out (-: