!00 CEO's punish Georgia voting bill
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 12, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

1st of all I reviewed 100  past posts looking for a thread relating to Georgia voting. Golly all 500 seemed a bit much but if it helps then I would expand my search

I tried all other options on the page and nothing responded except the last number of posts to be reviewed

I found nothing that had Georgia voting, in the heading, in the list I looked at. I found this strange as I am sure this has been talked about.

So: Would it be simpler if posters put some thing in the heading to indicate the subject matter. I think Bear is very good at this but I am sure others do the same.

Otherwise, I have to read multiple posts hoping to find the thread I want

MM wants us to keep all posts on the same topic in one thread. I agree with his thinking

But: How can we make this system work better and save Mike a ton of work and time and I can put this post in the proper thread

Now for my thoughts.

I am interested in your thoughts about the week end zoom call with 100 Ceo's or perhaps more, some who are not Ceo's but have some political power. Any way: they were discussing ways to punish states who pass laws similar to the Georgia laws

Punishment discussed ranged from less or no donations to less factory spending and any other way to punish a state such as Georgia

I thought it was a bit scary when business could have such a large influence on state laws. This means unelected people have way to much power.

Unelected CEO's having power over state law seems a bit much

Comments
By metmike - April 12, 2021, 1:07 p.m.
Like Reply

"1st of all I reviewed 100  past posts looking for a thread relating to Georgia voting. Golly all 500 seemed a bit much but if it helps then I would expand my search

I tried all other options on the page and nothing responded except the last number of posts to be reviewed

I found nothing that had Georgia voting, in the heading, in the list I looked at. I found this strange as I am sure this has been talked about.

So: Would it be simpler if posters put some thing in the heading to indicate the subject matter. I think Bear is very good at this but I am sure others do the same.

Otherwise, I have to read multiple posts hoping to find the thread I want

MM wants us to keep all posts on the same topic in one thread. I agree with his thinking

But: How can we make this system work better and save Mike a ton of work and time and I can put this post in the proper thread"

metmike: Extreme thanks for going to all that work for us Wayne. Let me help you out. You were looking for Georgia in the headline and did not see GA for one our busiest threads recently. Also, it's ok when a thread has built up a couple dozen+ posts or is not in the top 25 posts or so to start a new one. My point was that we don't need to keep starting a new one every day, with only  a couple of comments on the old ones.

GA: now illegal to provide water or food to those in line to vote            

29 responses |           

Started by WxFollower - March 26, 2021, 10:17 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/67202/

This older thread is chock full of wonderful, relevant comments but none by you(which was my point earlier, in capturing everyones thoughts in the same thread) but its fine to start a new one here and I can just reference the older one above. 

By WxFollower - April 12, 2021, 1:08 p.m.
Like Reply

I thought it was a bit scary when business could have such a large influence on state laws. This means unelected people have way to much power.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you rather the govt have more power? Conservatives are supposed to be in favor of limited govt.

By TimNew - April 12, 2021, 2:53 p.m.
Like Reply

I think companies have a right to conduct business as they see fit, within the basic parameters of the law.   In this case,  these companies may recieve some backlash as they will even be hurting the people they are pretending to help.   Further,  using strong arm tactics to oppose a law that does not do what they claim does not reflect well on their decision making.  This is probably a fght they should not be a part of. 

By wglassfo - April 12, 2021, 3:41 p.m.
Like Reply

This is a classic example of why I stay out of some forum discussions

If you wish to discuss water for voters in line, I don't think this is appropriate for me to make comments for or against. This is your laws and your decisions

But: If you have a discussion that resembles our system or might become a similar issue in Canada, then I will comment, perhaps more than I should. I walk a fine line as a Canadian on an American forum

This Georgia law seems to me to be a state law.  It could be some are unhappy with this law passed, with due process. Any law by any level of gov't. is the law until amended or struck down, either by the courts or another election cycle and then the law is changed in what ever form or wording, the new legislature wishes. I may have missed some of your finer points of law. If so then correct me as I don't always grasp your system of law. We have provinces instead of states but that is not the issue. Otherwise we make laws in a very similar way, with division of powers, some of which can be rather heated as to who makes a law.

The sensible thing to me is to vote the bums out if they don't pass the laws you want

Now to your question 

I don't see any place in my post that alluded to bigger gov't

I simply said unelected Ceo's and/or others should not have the power to  intimidate or otherwise influence state law makers decision making process if said law makers followed due process

if you think I said any thing about bigger gov't then correct me and I will have to defend myself, if I can

If not then where did you come up with bigger gov't in my post

By WxFollower - April 12, 2021, 5:15 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't see any place in my post that alluded to bigger gov't

--------------------------------------------------------

Wayne,

Your post that takes the govt (elected) side over the business (unelected) side. Nongovt entities such as businesses and individuals have the right to try to influence govt decisions. Otherwise would imply more govt. power/bigger govt.

Related to this, conservatives and libertarians have generally been business friendly in a keep govt hands off of businesses as much as feasible kind of way. They prefer more power for businesses as relates to govt.

By metmike - April 12, 2021, 5:46 p.m.
Like Reply

"Related to this, conservatives and libertarians have generally been business friendly in a keep govt hands off of businesses as much as feasible kind of way. They prefer more power for businesses as relates to govt."

Larry, it appears that model is completely changing. Businesses are trying to flex their muscles in affecting politics and government. They've been doing it for years with TV ads. 

Part of this is them being forward thinking/projecting, for a profit entities that see the cultural revolution as an opportunity to profit. 

They didn't get to be big business by using yesterdays selling strategies and campaign.

The cultural revolution and dems taking over are for real and they want to be positioned on the leading edge to maximize their positive exposure as some body on their side.

If this country was 80% conservative and both houses and oval office controlled by republicans does anybody think that MLB would have moved the All Star game out of Atlanta for ETHICAL reasons?

Near 0% chance it would have happened.............all things being equal.......except that consumers of their products and big biz products are more liberal now and esepcially young liberals.............the future.

Coca-Cola, Home Depot raise concern over Georgia bills that restrict voting

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/543412-coca-cola-home-depot-other-companies-concern-georgia-bills-to-restrict

By metmike - April 12, 2021, 6:03 p.m.
Like Reply

This is one reason that we should respect MLK so, so much more. 

In today's age, though they want you to believe that we are systemically racist and fiercely battling against the racists around every corner....the fact is that racism has been totally shunned by mainstream society. It exists still of course, but when we see it most of us denounce it vehementally from the rooftops. 

Sadly, knowing that, many entities cry fake racism to use it for their political gain, because they know that almost everybody is against racism and we will all jump on board to support whatever it is they stand for because they are anti racism.

60 years ago, that was NOT the case. The complete, 100% opposite in the south, where MLK held marches and rallies for racial equality.

Doing that then, could likely get you killed..........it did get him killed, in Memphis/1968.  It took a brave person that stood up for their strong ethics and belief system trying to change the system to get justice back then.

Today?

Who opposes you?

Really, who, with power intentionally blocks policies and agenda because they want to hurt blacks?

What person, is risking their life because they stand for authentic racial justice based on facts.....like MLK did?

I can rattle off a list of incidents and people that have used the race card because they know that.........in today's world, people will jump on your side immediately, if they think you are for fighting racism. 

Times have changed in 60 years.

Now, we have trouble telling between real racism and fake racism because they are both described the exact same way to us for political or other types of  gain. 

By TimNew - April 13, 2021, 4:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Related to this, conservatives and libertarians have generally been business friendly in a keep govt hands off of businesses as much as feasible kind of way.

I really dont understand why this is n the conversation. In what way does the new Ga Voting Law interfere with business?  States writing voting laws is just about the exact opposite of government over reach.  I could see a debate over whether business should be throwing its weight around trying to influence legislative procedures,  but I certainly cant see where voting laws interfere with business.

By mcfarm - April 13, 2021, 6:47 a.m.
Like Reply

all this outrage over Georgia is nothing more than another scam.....