Week in Review
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - April 24, 2021, 1:26 p.m.

DatePriorCurrentRating
Chicago Fed M/MMar-21-1.091.71C+
Kansas City Fed Mfg M/MApr-2126.0031.00C+
Existing Home Sales M/MMar-216.220M6.010MC-
New Home Sales M/MMar-21775K1021KB-
Leading Indicators M/MMar-210.201.30C+
RedBook 1 W/W4/17/202113.2013.50C
Jobless Claims 1 W/W4/17/2021576K547KC+

A lite week for data,  but good enough.

RedBook remains at previously unseen levels.

Chicago Fed did a nice turnaround and Kansas remains very strong.

Existing Home Sales show continued inventory related pressure while New Home Sales showed a nice level of growth as builders are overcoming the cost of materials as the market demands. Recall Starts and Permits from last weeks numbers. 

Leading Indicators continued to show growth, but at a stronger pace.

And last but not least, Jobless Claims continued to drop, possibly confirming a trend.

A solid C+ this week with the suck factor holding at 5.  Need a normal level of Jobless Claims (2-300K) to get much lower.

Comments
By metmike - April 24, 2021, 6:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks very much Tim.

Great job as usual.

By metmike - April 24, 2021, 7:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Week in review compilation 2020/21

For those interested in gaining more insight(by looking back at Tim's reports)  with regards to the unprecedented movement of our economy during the historic 2020 pandemic that  is ending here in 2021. Thank you Tim for generously contributing these wonderful reports. I counted 42 of them in 2020/21, 11 so far this year! That's a lot of work.........but a labor of love I'm sure, knowing you.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/68446/

By TimNew - April 24, 2021, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Aww Shucks MM.  Thanks  :-)

By wglassfo - April 24, 2021, 9:03 p.m.
Like Reply

I hope this is the place for my comments

What I would like to know is if you folks are finding shortages of home appliances, parts to repair almost anything in a home

Our clotthes washer busted the propelleer of the pump. Well good luck finding mush of anything on the floor to buy. Everything has to be ordered with no solid delivery date. Our part is at the factory with no delivery date. Plus given the age [12 yrs old] we will pay 1/2 the new price to fix this machine and it is still old for appliances now a days

We have two farm machines bought with down payment and a target date for arrival. We will use the old machine until new arrives in our yard. One machine is scheduled for delivery some time in 2022

Electric installation of any thing electric costs a fortune and parts are in short supply. Heck we can't find capacitors for inventory if we blow one on an electric moto. Yes we know about a shortage of micro chips but heck around here everything is in short supply and costs at least double

Rare earth, micro chips, lumber, cars and trucks, houses get the headlines but golly everything seems to be in short supply

And then I read how many containers are arriving at the ports and I wonder, with all this increased container supply, why the heck is every thing in short supply

I know some stuff, such as lumber doesn't come in a container but golly where did all the house hold appliances go? or everything?? Savings is up so not every body is on a buying binge, plus stay at home folks who don't want to work and collect free money aren't exactly the richest of folks to spend with abandon [I think]

So we have the savers and the idle non workers--Who the heck is buying all this container stuff???

I am sure there is an answer, just befuddles me a bit

By TimNew - April 25, 2021, 7:56 a.m.
Like Reply

There are still some supply chain issues.   The Suez canal (Already a major bottle neck) shut down did not help one bit,  but we're probably mostly recovered from that. 

We bought a Jeep about a month ago and need a trrailer hitch. We're still waiting for that.  Amazing technology in that vehicle.   Rugged,  yet has some pep and handles alomst like a sports car.   But I digress.

The good news about all the lagging supply is that as we recover, and the process is going full blast as we speak, IMO,  we'll be seeing amazing eco-numbers.