More good news.
3 responses | 1 like
Started by mcfarmer - June 28, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

Overwhelming conservative supreme court supports title nine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-won-t-hear-dispute-over-bathrooms-transgender-students-n1272513

Once again progress marches on. I haven’t read all the analysis of this “non decision“ but on the surface it looks like the court has seen fit to support the rights of  transgender folks, by a wide margin.

Old white guys get all apoplectic over such things but most young folks shrug it off. No big deal. Progress, get used to it.

It goes to demonstrate the long held idea that a president can not predict how justices will rule once confirmed. Time and time again justices, when confronted with the duty to rule, make choices contrary to their supporters expectations.

It is an extraordinarily weighty position to be in. These rulings set the tone for our society for decades going forward. Most appointees rise to the occasion. Used to say that about presidents also however.

School sports however is another can of worms, I’m conflicted on this issue. Those rulings are yet to come.

Interesting times.

Edit: Something I forgot, when done this way a national  precedent is not set. LGBTQ folks won’t be happy about that.

Comments
By TimNew - June 28, 2021, 12:59 p.m.
Like Reply

This is not support or rejection by the court.   The Supreme Court dosn't see where the Constitution of the US gives them authority over high school bathrooms.

Don't much care myself over which bathrooms people use,  they could be unisex as far as I am concerned.  But I can see where the concept may make some uncomfortable.

By mcfarmer - June 28, 2021, 2:07 p.m.
Like Reply

“This is not support or rejection by the court.   The Supreme Court dosn't see where the Constitution of the US gives them authority over high school bathrooms.”

I have never seen that cited for the reason.

Its a title nine dispute, a federal law.

The most common reasons for not hearing a case is that the court overwhelmingly agrees with the lower court’s decision,  they feel it is of no significance and not worth their time, or the time isn’t right to hear such a case.

By TimNew - June 29, 2021, 4:19 a.m.
Like Reply

The supreme court can't possibly hear all the cases presented over a given year and refuses to hear cases for a long list of reasons.  As this one was refused without comment,  it's very likely the court felt it was not worth their time, and I agree.  Without an opinion or comment, no one outside of the court can know.

That the "Bathroom Debate" has reached such a level of national attention and cause for celebration shows just how easily distracted many of us have become.  Next,  we'll have a massive debate on how a roll of toliet paper is installed as we breathlessly await a supreme court decision which will also probably not come .