U.S. Coast Guard
3 responses | 2 likes
Started by mikempt - Aug. 4, 2021, 8:07 a.m.

Happy Birthday U.S. Coast Guard! 

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 4, 2021, 12:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Mike!

They've been around for a very long time!

I know this is special for you because you are/or were part of this wonderful organization.

Happy 231st Birthday to the United States Coast Guard!

https://www.cfr.org/blog/happy-231st-birthday-united-states-coast-guard

The Coast Guard has roughly 41,000 active duty personnel, more than 8,000 reserve personnel, and some 30,000 civilian auxiliary volunteers. The Coast Guard maintains a fleet of 259 cutters, 200 aircraft, and 1,602 boats. In addition to their constant presence along the U.S. coast and in major waterways, Coast Guard personnel have served in all of America’s major conflicts, including Afghanistan and Iraq. On any given day, Coast Guard law enforcement teams board 144 vessels, Coast Guard small boats launch nearly 400 missions, and Coast Guard aircraft fly 164 operations. In a typical year, the Coast Guard will respond to 20,000 search-and-rescue cases and save more than 3,500 lives.

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2021, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.military.com/coast-guard-birthday

Happy Birthday U.S. Coast Guard (Military.com)

Celebrate the U.S. Coast Guard              

Coast Guard  

Each August 4 the U.S. Coast Guard celebrates its birthday.

The Coast Guard is one of America's five armed forces and traces its founding to Aug. 4, 1790, when the first Congress authorized the construction of 10 vessels to enforce tariff and trade laws, prevent smuggling, and protect the collection of federal revenue. Responsibilities added over the years included humanitarian duties such as aiding mariners in distress.

The service received its present name in 1915 when the Revenue Cutter Service merged with the U.S. Life-Saving Service to form a single maritime service dedicated to the safety of life at sea and enforcing the nation's maritime laws.

By GunterK - Aug. 4, 2021, 12:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi mike,

When I first came to this forum, many years ago, you were already here, posting actively.  

We don't hear much from you anymore.

I hope you are well

and, happy birthday to the Coast Guard