Just wondering
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Aug. 7, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

This is a survey of sorts.

How many here believe that the sooner you give up your rights,  the sooner you'll get them back?

Comments
By wglassfo - Aug. 7, 2021, 9:16 p.m.
Like Reply

I just asked somebody that very question.

Read the question word for word

The person said she wasn't sure, would want some time to think about the question

Now myself the question is a no - brainer

Any time you give up some thing to the gov't, give me some good examples of getting those rights [what ever they are]  back

I suppose I could use income tax as an example

In 1861 congress enacted the revenue tax act of a flat tax of 3 % on all income over 800.00 [22,800] in todays inflated dollars

WW 1 caused income tax rates to increase from 1916-1917-1918 to a top nose bled  rate of 77 % {I think] When the war ended the income tax collected was a more reasonable 25 % until 1913

I will use income tax as an example of letting gov't having more control over our lives that we seldom if ever get back in full.

I will agree to necessary spending but do not agree with some spending. I am sure others disagree with what I consider to be unnecessary spending so who decides. I suppose this way we can all complain about spending

For sure I watch every right or freedom we give up as I am convinced we will have an impossible job to get all our rights back

By metmike - Aug. 7, 2021, 10:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Great example Wayne and great topic Tim!

We gave up the right to keep all of our money a very long time ago and most people agree, that many of  the services that are provided for that money are absolutely required and cost money to fund.

I am for smaller government and lower taxes but the party in charge right now is for the opposite. They won the election so, dang it, they get to control alot of the agenda, even if I might think its bad agenda.

Next election, if enough voters agree with me, then maybe we can have somebody that ran on a platform of lower taxes and less government...........then the other side is not happy about the agenda.....and some that are getting things they think are rights, will have them stripped.......until the democrats get the power again.

That's the neat thing about elections. It allows the people to speak with their votes. Which addresses Tim's question.

Once you have a right taken away,  related to politics,  you can always get it back by voting in a different person or different party.

There are tons of other examples that involve agenda that is tied to who won the election or not. Elections have consequences that affect many rights. 

Our rights are not permanently denied or taken away as much as our side lost the election and the other side has more control, as it should be  to apply the principles that they ran on. To NOT do that would be to not be consistent with their campaign promises..

For every perceived right taken away, it can be reinstated as soon as people from our party have control. 

If Harris loses in 2024, the new president can undo everything that Biden did........and restore all the rights that republicans feel were take from them. Just like Obama led the way with the US in the Climate Accord, Trump withdrew, then Biden on day one joined again.

Border policies are the same exact thing. Trump's policies cut down on illegal immigrants, Bidens policies are very favorable for illegal immigration. Smart republicans can focus on that issue because its a huge plus for them.  

Same thing with lower levels of government. Governors of conservative states have more conservative laws. That is seen clearly with COVID laws. States in the south did not shut down as much as the liberal states along the Coasts and had much less masking restrictions.

I guess you could move to another state if you object that strongly. 

If this is about being vaccinated, then nobody has the right to kill somebody else out of ignorance. Every person that died and will die from COVID, caught it from another person that had COVID. 

Everybody has the right to do things that  harm or even kill themselves..........but a contagious disease affects others........or course it does. 

If I drink a half gallon of vodka and fall out of an upstairs window and get severely injured....it's not a crime.

If I drink a half gallon of vodka, then get into a car and drive........it is a crime.

Mandatory vaccinations has been made out to be against the  right for people to be able to choose what they put or don't put into their own bodies. We all have that absolute right. But we don't have the right to put or not put things into our bodies that scientifically/statistically is proven to kill thousands of completely innocent people. 

The science/ethics and facts are entirely on one side. 

Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/15/liberty-fist-nose/