Fresh off the press for ya Mike - AMOC to shut down?
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by madmechanic - Aug. 10, 2021, 7:26 p.m.
Comments
By metmike - Aug. 10, 2021, 8:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks MM,

Yeah, I read that this was coming.

One of the main authors, Michael Mann,  has been pushing this  very speculative idea for 6  years now.

Melting Ice Slows Down Ocean Circulation

Living on Earth  

March 27, 2015 · 5:00 PM UTC  

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-03-27/melting-ice-slows-down-ocean-circulation

That's the same corrupt Michael Mann that had much to do with the bogus hockey stick temperature graph  that rewrote climate history to wipe out the work of 100 previous scientific studies showing the Midieval Warm Period was this warm or warmer..............based on a group of tree rings.

To show this current warming was unprecedented. 

On a credibility scale of 1-10, I would give him a 1. You would think that his experience and knowledge would earn a much higher rating but his cognitive bias is right off the charts and he intentionally seeks to exaggerate extremes and assign reasons that are often speculative to blame humans and he uses extreme outcomes on models as if they are very possible and  he got busted in climate gate in 2009 being corrupt but a group of his peers did an investigation and cleared him. That was actually comical.........to see people in the same profession, with similar thoughts being his jury.

That would be like having a trial for a white Supremicist and picking 12 members from the KKK for his jury.    

In the world of climate skeptics, he is like the devil (-:

But I don't hate the guy. 

By metmike - Aug. 10, 2021, 8:57 p.m.
Like Reply

My degree was from the engineering school at University of Michigan  in the department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science.  I took the same classes that an oceanographer would have taken. 

I decided to use the degree to go into atmospheric science, instead of oceanic science because weather was my love since 2nd grade.

So I know a thing or 3 about the oceans but am not an elite authority like the atmosphere. 

It's possible that this outcome could happen but seem extremely speculative.

The other thing is that the higher latitudes ALWAYS warmed much more in the past, like they are now during global warming.

Previous warmings similar or possibly warmer

Mideival Warm Period 1,000 years ago.

Roman Warm Period around 2,000 years ago.

Minoan Warm Perido around 3,500 ago.

And then the big one. The Holocene climate optimum that was several degrees warmer than this in the higher latitudes between 9,000 and 5,000 years ago.........with very high confidence. There was definately much less Arctic ice then.

So why haven't studies found those warming were  catastrophic from this circulation shutting down?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_climatic_optimum