Voter I.D.
21 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 24, 2021, 12:18 a.m.

We just had a Federal election in Canada

When I went to vote:

I had to answer the usual questions about being exposed to possible covid etc that we all are asked in Canada before entering a bldg.

I then presented my voter registration card and was directed to one of several voting booths

Although the person at the booth knew me, I was asked for photo I.D. which I presented, as requested.. I was then given a ballot and made my choice and stuffed my ballot in the box.

Simple, efficient no  chance of some body else voting for me or any possibility of fraud that I know about

I just read of some body in your country comparing voter I.D. as an example of racist actions. Golly, that is over the top IMHO, but that is just MO. It seems considerable debate surrounds your voting rules with most having some thing to do with voter I.D

Regardless of your personal thoughts can some body explain why some are so upset about requiring voter I.D.

Presenting photo I.D, when voting seems a no brainer to me, but is this photo I.D. thing,  my Canadian bias

Comments
Re: Voter I.D.
0 likes
By metmike - Sept. 24, 2021, 1:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Great topic Wayne!

I never knew what the voting laws were in Canada. Has it always been that way?

By mcfarm - Sept. 24, 2021, 8:45 a.m.
Like Reply

Right you are Wayne. Down here we have 1/2 the country who just wants fair and free votes....and the other 1/2 who would go to any length to cheat and steal and election. So sad its being around since the Kennedy clan ran the sham in 1960. And even sadder seems no one on the left has the gonads to help stop it. Present Id? Are you crazy they just send blank ballots out by the million and if they come back blank the left fills them out at the home office. Voter Id? You racist fool. You know how hard it is to get an Id to vote? My God the pain.

By 7475 - Sept. 24, 2021, 9:27 a.m.
Like Reply

Wayne

Photo ID - IS - a no brainer.

The lack of photo ID at the poles is  one part of what Trump was referring to when he cites the election was stolen.

John

By metmike - Sept. 24, 2021, 12:49 p.m.
Like Reply

"The lack of photo ID at the poles is  one part of what Trump was referring to when he cites the election was stolen."

Thanks much John,

I'm actually for voter ID but if this was responsible for Biden stealing the election, why was there no evidence of it happening in widespread fashion?

Why did the republican/biased group that spent 6 months investigating and counting votes in Arizona not find it?

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/75326/

That's just a bs narrative that has been disproven every time..............but I always look forward to evidence..........not speculative theories or claims that it happened..... and those doing it used magic tricks that nobody has figured out yet. 

Or that they really know about but there's a massive cover up by the MSM and dems and government censoring the real truth..........which only Trump knows..........which is exactly how cults think(their leader has secrets that only that person knows about).

I've been looking for fraud too and found tons of it..........from past elections but less of it this time.

Darryl Cooper about the mindset of those who Know that the 2020 election was stolen                                         21 responses |               

Started by cutworm - July 9, 2021, 10:02 p.m.                                                    

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/72115/

0 likes
By joj - Sept. 24, 2021, 1:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Conceptually, I have no problem with voter ID laws.  BUT..... 

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet

The fact that for years, claims of widespread voter fraud have come up empty does beg the question:  Why does the GOP pursue it so much?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/us/some-republicans-acknowledge-leveraging-voter-id-laws-for-political-gain.html

‘Happy’ to deny the right to vote

Also in Wisconsin, Todd Allbaugh, 46, a staff aide to a Republican state legislator, attributed his decision to quit his job in 2015 and leave the party to what he witnessed at a Republican caucus meeting. He wrote on Facebook:

"I was in the closed Senate Republican Caucus when the final round of multiple Voter ID bills were being discussed. A handful of the GOP Senators were giddy about the ramifications and literally singled out the prospects of suppressing minority and college voters. Think about that for a minute. Elected officials planning and happy to help deny a fellow American’s constitutional right to vote in order to increase their own chances to hang onto power."

By metmike - Sept. 24, 2021, 2:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Joj makes some solid points.

The one that nobody can disagree on is that republicans use(abuse) the issue to speculate that tons of fraud happened which caused an unfair, illegal advantage against their side.

Studies and investigations and evidence never shows that but repeating it thousands of times has convinced many Republicans that it’s systemic......and this is where the rheortic has given them the most power.

Convincing people to believe in something.

That’s the key in today’s world. 

Believing that it exists is just as powerful as if it does exist. Even more powerful than if it existed and people thought it didn’t.

What people think matters much more than the reality!!

The solution would be to make government ID cheap or free to all legal citizens.....then, the poor or minority discrimmation claim is minimized.

Why does Canada have voter ID laws?

It goes both ways. 

By WxFollower - Sept. 24, 2021, 3:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I'll 100% for voter ID as long as the govt issues an official one for everyone. What's so hard about that? The issue has been that Black people have fewer IDs per capita that would be accepted. So, if you require ID, it is disadvantageous for Blacks as a whole. That's why some consider voter ID laws racist. So, issue a new one for everyone for voting purposes. No ID, no voting allowed. End of issue.

Anyone diasgree?

Edit: I just realized that Mike already mentioned the same idea. So, Mike and I agree. Anyone else?

By metmike - Sept. 24, 2021, 4:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

Must have been that weatherman mind meld thing which suggested the free government ID(-:

Voter identification laws by state

https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_identification_laws_by_state

This is nuts:

0 likes
By wglassfo - Sept. 24, 2021, 6:33 p.m.
Like Reply

HI Mike

You asked if our voting laws have always been the same

Yes, always the same for as long as I have voted

In Canada my driver's licence, health card  have my picture and either one is accepted as gov't issued and photo I.D. Some might have a passport I suppose but most use the driver's lic. and everybody has a health card in their wallet.

It is your responsibility to make sure you received a voter registration card with the proper address if you moved or attend college etc. You can have this rectified ahead of time. I am not sure of the process as I have forgotten how to do a change of address..

By metmike - Sept. 24, 2021, 7:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

You started a great topic.

So your health card is the same one that everyone gets there to use for the socialized medicine, correct?

By TimNew - Sept. 24, 2021, 9:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Conceptually, I have no problem with voter ID laws.  BUT..... 

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet

The fact that for years, claims of widespread voter fraud have come up empty does beg the question:  Why does the GOP pursue it so much?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/us/some-republicans-acknowledge-leveraging-voter-id-laws-for-political-gain.html

‘Happy’ to deny the right to vote

Also in Wisconsin, Todd Allbaugh, 46, a staff aide to a Republican state legislator, attributed his decision to quit his job in 2015 and leave the party to what he witnessed at a Republican caucus meeting. He wrote on Facebook:

"I was in the closed Senate Republican Caucus when the final round of multiple Voter ID bills were being discussed. A handful of the GOP Senators were giddy about the ramifications and literally singled out the prospects of suppressing minority and college voters. Think about that for a minute. Elected officials planning and happy to help deny a fellow American’s constitutional right to vote in order to increase their own chances to hang onto power."

So many flaws in such a short post.

1st.   There is no such thing as a constitutional right to vote.   It simply does not exist.  There are specific rights enumerated in the constitution, and they all start with something like "Congress shall make no laws...."

Thats like the 1st, 2nd and all the amendments in the Bill of Rights, etc

Oddly enough,  these are the rights that liberals dispute while creating "other" dubious rights out of thin air.

Granted..  There are rules that define when the right to vote can't be denied.  You can't deny a vote based on race, religion,  sex,  etc.     But there is no amendment that says "Congress shall make no laws to restrict the vote"

It's very simple.

2nd.   I find it very hard to believe that a bunch of GOP Senators were "giddy" about the ramifications of suppressing minority votes.  Maybe in the 50's in Alabama..   But that does not happen in the modern world.  Who knows what this guys agenda may have been,  but it likely has nothing to do with reality.

Finally, at least for now,  you say...

Conceptually, I have no problem with voter ID laws.

Do you believe that voter id laws are a form of racism?   Then your concept is at best hypocritical. 

70+% of minorities support voter ID.  There are dozens of surveys to support that.  One is linked below.

I think it's profoundly racist to assume that minorities are incapable of obtaining ID.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/march_2021/75_support_voter_id_laws

The simplest and most obvious fact/conclusion is that there is only one reason to oppose voter id.  

Can you guess what that may be?

0 likes
By joj - Sept. 24, 2021, 11 p.m.
Like Reply

"I find it very hard to believe that a bunch of GOP Senators were "giddy" about the ramifications of suppressing minority votes."

Of course you do.

By metmike - Sept. 25, 2021, 1:29 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Sept. 25, 2021, 1:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Great to read you again Tim!

New Study Confirms Voter ID Laws Don’t Hurt Election Turnout

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/new-study-confirms-voter-id-laws-dont-hurt-election-turnout

The World Requires Voter ID, but George Soros and Hillary Clinton Are Determined the U.S. Won’t

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/07/voter-id-other-countries-require/

It’s been over seven years since the Supreme Court, in a 6–3 decision that was written by liberal favorite John Paul Stevens, declared that voter-ID laws don’t constitute an undue burden on people attempting to vote. But that hasn’t stopped liberals from fighting in legislatures and courts against those laws and other efforts to promote voter integrity. The lawsuits are often brought by Marc Elias, who doubles as the attorney for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. And their efforts have paid off: Only about 18 states currently require a photo ID to vote.

Last month, the New York Times reported that billionaire liberal George Soros was largely bankrolling the multi-million-dollar effort. Democratic-party chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz has accused Republicans of trying to bring back Jim Crow because “photo I.D. laws, we think, are very similar to a poll tax.”

Election observers in other countries find this kind of rhetoric preposterous. Almost all industrialized democracies — and most that are not — require voters to prove their identity before voting. 

By TimNew - Sept. 25, 2021, 5:31 a.m.
Like Reply

"I find it very hard to believe that a bunch of GOP Senators were "giddy" about the ramifications of suppressing minority votes."

Of course you do.

Well ya see JOJ,  on this planet, even if you would actually get giddy over the alleged  suppresion manifested by voter id,  you would not admit it in an official setting.    Maybe in a bar over a few drinks with 1 or 2 good friends, but never publicly, especially in a setting like a senate chambers.   The days when democrats like Johnson said things like "We'll have those ni&&#rs voting democrat for 200 years"   are long gone.

And I've yet to see a case made where voter id in any way discriminates or an argument that the right to vote in federal elections is somehow garanteed in the constitution.

When the "right to vote" was originally discussed in Philly all tjose years ago,  there was a significant faction that wanted to restrict voting to property owners.  Had they succeeded,  I can make an argument that this country would not be facing many of the problems it faces today.    

Now,  we're even starting to hear debates over whether citizenship should be a requirement for voting.   I wonder if these same people support "defunding the police"?  I can just about garantee you not many of them are property owners. 

Opinion | There Is No Good Reason You Should Have to Be a Citizen to Vote - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Washingtonians love to complain about taxation without representation. But for me and my fellow noncitizens, it is a fact of political life that we submit to unquestioningly year after year, primary after primary, presidential election after presidential election. Nearly 15 million people living legally in the United States, most of whom contribute as much as any natural-born American to this country’s civic, cultural and economic life, don’t have a say in matters of politics and policy because we — resident foreign nationals, or “aliens” as we are sometimes called — cannot vote.

By metmike - Sept. 25, 2021, 7:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Seems like a huge battle over something that’s easy to fix.

Just do the same thing Canada does.

Issue picture IDs to everyone.....legal citizens and require them for voting.

By TimNew - Sept. 26, 2021, 7:28 a.m.
Like Reply

You can get a free state issued photo ID in any state.  It's a non-issue.

As I have been saying thoughout these many debates, there is only one reason to oppose ID in voting.

By WxFollower - Sept. 26, 2021, 10:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Just make it mandatory that everyone is issued a new voter registration photo ID. No ID, no voting. No voting? Not due to racism.

Or do a lot of people on BOTH sides prefer this not get done so they can keep fighting and disagreeing about this and other issues? Do a lot of people on BOTH sides enjoy fighting with the other side EVERY SINGLE TIME? (Answer: of course they do. They don’t want a solution to bring people together on any issue.) Otherwise, why not just go ahead and do this? To the libs, why not? There’d be no racism. To the cons, why not? The amount of fraud in vote counting on the left that you’re complaining about would be much more difficult to accomplish.

By TimNew - Sept. 26, 2021, 12:18 p.m.
Like Reply

I am not sure what point you are trying to make WX.    I don't know of anyone on the right opposed to photo ids and I an think of no objection to having the state issue one when you reegister to vote.

I have only seen opposition to such from the left.

By metmike - Sept. 26, 2021, 1:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

I never realized that in Indiana, everybody can get a free voter ID card already. Not sure about other states but thats good news.

Obtaining a Photo ID

If you do not possess an ID that is acceptable for voting purposes, Public Law 109-2005 requires the BMV to issue an Indiana State ID Card for free.

https://www.in.gov/sos/elections/voter-information/photo-id-law/obtaining-a-photo-id/

I totally get where Larry is coming from.

After reading Wayne's post and seeing how they do it in Canada..........it was like...........why the heck aren't we doing it like that here?

This is exactly what the republicans say they want and what the democrats say is discriminating.....but this would take out discrimination.

Then,  I just checked in Indiana.............and its already the system we have.

What the heck????

Why aren't BOTH sides just telling everyone to get the free voter ID???

Neither side is, and that includes republicans. Why not?

Appears as if they WANT the issue to exist for political reasons vs just resolving it by focusing their efforts on getting people their free ID's.......................oh, wait that would be POOR people that don't drive and it might be counterproductive to their main objective(winning elections).

Trying to get minorities the free proper ID's so they can vote would be more likely to  increase LEGAL voting for DEMOCRATS.

We all know that if the voter ID requirement decreased republican votes and not democrat votes, the 2 parties would  have the opposite positions than they do now.

Regardless, it makes complete sense to do it, just like Canada! Sometimes one party is more right than the other on political issues. 

By TimNew - Sept. 26, 2021, 2:25 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm pretty sure that every state issues some sort of free photo id.   And I've heard many republicans say many times that everyone can and should get photo id and it should be a requirement for voting.   Further, polls show over 70% of the population agrees that photo id should be  requirement for voting.

How often does 70+% of the US population agree on anything?