Finally some sanity returns
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 27, 2021, 12:02 a.m.

Just announced today and on TV to-nite

Canada is returning to the guidelines before covid and all the free money to stay home

Canadians now have to work a minimum of 420 hrs before applying for unemployment benefits

You can work part time or several jobs, get laid off unexpectedly but you need 420 hrs, after which welfare kicks in if still unemployed {I think if a return to the old rules]

There is also a limit to how long benefits last

So: If we have part time workers, on our farm and they accumulate 420 hrs then unemployment kicks in, over winter, until the next season

This is a return to the old rules before all the free money

I am happy Canada has seen the light and returned to what used to be the rules

Comments
By TimNew - Sept. 27, 2021, 8:46 a.m.
Like Reply

Inteesting thing about unemployment.

Some scandanavian country offered a 5 year plan.  You'd get generous UI benefits for up to 5 years.   Oddly,  after 5 years,  just about everyone was able to find a job.  

Then they reduced the time to 4 years. And amazingly, just about everyone found jobs after 4 years. 

There will always be people willing to stay home as long as you pay them to do so.

By metmike - Sept. 27, 2021, 1:55 p.m.
Like Reply

Makes total sense.

People are not necessarily lazy. 

We all try to get the best deals on everything in life. Best/lowest price on a car or computer or house or food or vitamins..........whatever.

The objective is to get the most of something for the least amount of money when you are buying something.

But the same sort of principle applies to other realms.

Pay for work for instance. it's what you are comparing that pay to and what you have to do to get it that matters.

If you are comparing it to no money..............work almost always wins unless you are a lazy bum.

If you are comparing it to FREE money...............tougher choice. You might not be lazy at all but see much GREATER VALUE for the effort to get FREE money. You might actually just be............SMART. Free money to do things that YOU want to do with your time.

If they required a person to do volunteer work for 20+ hours for that free money, I'm betting half the people would find jobs.